IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2006, 10:42 PM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Out of curiousity I just wanted to know for some of you just registering with the site is it hard finding new domains?

Truthfully a lot of us have been promoting the use of IDN Domains before the site was made but many didn't listen. How are you guys fairing? Anyone find our misses?

I usually go through & find good Japanese finds & wait for like a week hoping some of you newcomers find the ones that were missed but then go back later & register them. I give you guys chances (DON'T PM ME FOR LISTS)...

anyway yoroshiku
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2006, 11:28 PM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 644
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Out of curiousity I just wanted to know for some of you just registering with the site is it hard finding new domains?

Truthfully a lot of us have been promoting the use of IDN Domains before the site was made but many didn't listen. How are you guys fairing? Anyone find our misses?

I usually go through & find good Japanese finds & wait for like a week hoping some of you newcomers find the ones that were missed but then go back later & register them. I give you guys chances (DON'T PM ME FOR LISTS)...

anyway yoroshiku
Well, I have found it hard. Mainly because I am impulsive, and have reg'd a lot of stuff that is probably just off the mark.

I have 150 Japanese domains, and I think they are probably pretty lame. I had hoped to sell some to make back some money, and haven't sold one - this is a real bummer.

Understanding the culture & language makes a HUGE difference IMO - that's why you regularly comment on all these good ID's that are still available, which the noob's can't find (because unlike you - we don't know where to look!)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2006, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
iTrader: (19)
Rep Power: 710
Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Well, I have found it hard. Mainly because I am impulsive, and have reg'd a lot of stuff that is probably just off the mark.

I have 150 Japanese domains, and I think they are probably pretty lame. I had hoped to sell some to make back some money, and haven't sold one - this is a real bummer.

Understanding the culture & language makes a HUGE difference IMO - that's why you regularly comment on all these good ID's that are still available, which the noob's can't find (because unlike you - we don't know where to look!)
For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.
__________________
@

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2006, 11:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 838
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 0
kenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

You can also ask people help you validate.

If you need private validation for Chinese IDNs, you can ask me.
__________________
Clickshower PPC Service
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 12:00 AM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 644
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.
Hmmm...good advice.

Pity it's too late for me, as I have one hell of a headache now!

But truthfully, if any noob's read this post, take the advice from the seniors here. This is an excellent community, and most here know what they are talking about. And triple-check your reg's before you go through with them. As Olney has pointed out, the online translators most english natives use are written by english speakers, so beware of taking the first translation it spits out as the correct one!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 12:04 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1274
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

I wouldn't get discouraged. The only terms that are really selling right now are major cities, prefectures and short terms with very high scores. When the limited supply of those dry up, investors will expand their range.

Think of it as a conventional land grab -- buyers are staking out Malibu before heading to say, Palo Alto. It's only natural.

When traffic appears in earnest, your wanting to sell ANY will be a moot point!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 12:09 AM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 644
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
I wouldn't get discouraged. The only terms that are really selling right now are major cities, prefectures and short terms with very high scores. When the limited supply of those dry up, investors will expand their range.

Think of it as a conventional land grab -- buyers are staking out Malibu before heading to say, Palo Alto. It's only natural.

When traffic appears in earnest, your wanting to sell ANY will be a moot point!
Thanks for the encouragement gammascalper! I need it right now...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
iTrader: (19)
Rep Power: 710
Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Thanks for the encouragement gammascalper! I need it right now...
I haven't looked at your city names carefully, but regging city names can't be wrong because city names are always valuable.
__________________
@

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 12:29 AM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

You know what i'll do...

Later today I'll give you guys a really special Japanese tip....
Of course it'll be in the members sections...

(Sorry guest gotta give some perks to members first)
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 12:37 AM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 644
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
I haven't looked at your city names carefully, but regging city names can't be wrong because city names are always valuable.
Thanks Giant...that is what I had thought too.

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(

(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 03:39 AM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 731
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Thanks Giant...that is what I had thought too.

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(

(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)
I think your city list is fine. One way or another. Keep the faith. I'd advise not to be in a rush to sell your holdings. Flipping quickly in this market won't guarantee a great return.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 04:00 AM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Yeah I guess I realize I might hold off on getting names in auctions & just mine some domains for you guys.

I really wanted Calendar from RD when I realized I could deevelop it quickly but then realized for the same money to outbid Alph I could register about 30 new IDN Domains in Japanese.

And so I did...

I think if I get any more domains it's just to put up on auction...
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 04:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
iTrader: (19)
Rep Power: 710
Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)
Your domain names are ok, but don't try to sell them now because the potential buyers are not here yet. 2007 may be a good time for you to sell some of them, and the rest probably later. Investing in domain names is like making wine, it needs time.
__________________
@

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 05:19 AM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 644
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Your domain names are ok, but don't try to sell them now because the potential buyers are not here yet. 2007 may be a good time for you to sell some of them, and the rest probably later. Investing in domain names is like making wine, it needs time.
Hi mate

Thanks for your taking the time to PM your advice to me

Comments like yours (and from a few other members) have been a great encouragement today!

Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues, but hopefully it will pay dividends in the long run.

Kind regards

seamo
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 05:28 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1285
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.

I agree with this statement, especially at this point of time, looking at the quality of names that are still available wide open - it's better to have a few good names that cost less to maintain and appreciates more over time than to have a few hundred miscellaneous names that is a challenge to renew every year.

Myself, i've bought close to $5k (mostly chinese cities and adult) of names from the secondary market since early Jan and these have already appreciated a few folds. I registered another 380 names between Nov last year and Feb, and i'm lucky that my PPC can cover 80% of renewal costs.

Last edited by touchring; 30th March 2006 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 05:38 AM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 644
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I agree with this statement, especially at this point of time, looking at the quality of names that are still available wide open - it's better to have a few good names that cost less to maintain and appreciates more over time than to have a few hundred miscellaneous names that is a challenge to renew every year.

Myself, i've bought close to $5k (mostly chinese cities and adult) of names from the secondary market since early Jan and these have already appreciated a few folds. I registered another 380 names between Nov last year and Feb, and i'm lucky that my PPC can cover 80% of renewal costs.
OMG...PPC paying for 80% of your renewal costs?....that would be paradise...!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 30th March 2006, 06:15 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1285
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
OMG...PPC paying for 80% of your renewal costs?....that would be paradise...!
I hope so, i believe many people have PPC that cover several times of renewal costs for their entire portfolio if they park and spend time to keyword/category optimize all their names.

80% is an approximate figure, plus minus 10%. My Arabic names cover several times their renewal costs. Chinese names almost cover their renewal cost despite the RMB ( divide by 8 ) payout from Silverclicks - the killer chinese domains are those adult names - i've got several with dozens of views a day and CTR is 25-30% without setting keywords - i've not figured out how to do so yet with SC. These subsidize the other names.

I've started to experiment getting my names into search engine indexes, if it works, i might cover renewal costs entirely and with surplus.

There are still ways to increase PPC further, as Hanidns has proven with trafficz.com, which shows Korean ads, and pays $0.15 per click versus $0.03 for ND for Korean traffic.

Last edited by touchring; 30th March 2006 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 27th April 2006, 09:51 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 867
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

This is a great thread. I too am a little quick on the draw sometimes, and I have reg'd a couple of IDNs thinking they meant one thing, when they actually don't mean exactly what I thought.

However, I have been paying attention to the Googles and the OVT scores and things, so they still seem to be decent domains.

I think a major frustration is the waiting game, especially seeing IDNs starting to go for big cash. I need to keep reminding myself that patience is key.

This forum is a Godsend for people who want to break into this, though. I've learned so much in the last day or two here, and I'm glad there is still hope to learn and make OK money.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 28th April 2006, 12:04 AM
grubstaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 285
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 547
grubstaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Here Here... excellent thread... I have quite a few that I believe are valuable... but a whole lot more that I registered too quickly.
__________________
IDNS.us
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 28th April 2006, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 556
idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Thanks Giant...that is what I had thought too.

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(
Cmon Seamo, i didnt shoot you in flames, i just said i didnt see the hot deal of digging so deep in city terminology from my perspective, specially when u could register something else. But everything is up to you, you listen here members's comments and you take your decisions but dont blame me for what u register or not register. Anyway dont worry so much, todays so-so domains, they will seem to be gems registrations next year. Just imagine what the new members in january 2007 are gonna start registering.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54