IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 10:42 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Out of curiousity I just wanted to know for some of you just registering with the site is it hard finding new domains?

Truthfully a lot of us have been promoting the use of IDN Domains before the site was made but many didn't listen. How are you guys fairing? Anyone find our misses?

I usually go through & find good Japanese finds & wait for like a week hoping some of you newcomers find the ones that were missed but then go back later & register them. I give you guys chances (DON'T PM ME FOR LISTS)...

anyway yoroshiku
Old 29th March 2006, 11:28 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is IDN Domains hard for newcomers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Out of curiousity I just wanted to know for some of you just registering with the site is it hard finding new domains?

Truthfully a lot of us have been promoting the use of IDN Domains before the site was made but many didn't listen. How are you guys fairing? Anyone find our misses?

I usually go through & find good Japanese finds & wait for like a week hoping some of you newcomers find the ones that were missed but then go back later & register them. I give you guys chances (DON'T PM ME FOR LISTS)...

anyway yoroshiku
Well, I have found it hard. Mainly because I am impulsive, and have reg'd a lot of stuff that is probably just off the mark.

I have 150 Japanese domains, and I think they are probably pretty lame. I had hoped to sell some to make back some money, and haven't sold one - this is a real bummer.

Understanding the culture & language makes a HUGE difference IMO - that's why you regularly comment on all these good ID's that are still available, which the noob's can't find (because unlike you - we don't know where to look!)
Old 29th March 2006, 11:53 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Well, I have found it hard. Mainly because I am impulsive, and have reg'd a lot of stuff that is probably just off the mark.

I have 150 Japanese domains, and I think they are probably pretty lame. I had hoped to sell some to make back some money, and haven't sold one - this is a real bummer.

Understanding the culture & language makes a HUGE difference IMO - that's why you regularly comment on all these good ID's that are still available, which the noob's can't find (because unlike you - we don't know where to look!)
For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 29th March 2006, 11:58 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also ask people help you validate.

If you need private validation for Chinese IDNs, you can ask me.
Old 30th March 2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
For people that don't know the market and the language well, my advice to them is just buy 10 really good domains from the members here. 10 is enough to make them rich and save them a lot of headaches.
Hmmm...good advice.

Pity it's too late for me, as I have one hell of a headache now!

But truthfully, if any noob's read this post, take the advice from the seniors here. This is an excellent community, and most here know what they are talking about. And triple-check your reg's before you go through with them. As Olney has pointed out, the online translators most english natives use are written by english speakers, so beware of taking the first translation it spits out as the correct one!
Old 30th March 2006, 12:04 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't get discouraged. The only terms that are really selling right now are major cities, prefectures and short terms with very high scores. When the limited supply of those dry up, investors will expand their range.

Think of it as a conventional land grab -- buyers are staking out Malibu before heading to say, Palo Alto. It's only natural.

When traffic appears in earnest, your wanting to sell ANY will be a moot point!
Old 30th March 2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
I wouldn't get discouraged. The only terms that are really selling right now are major cities, prefectures and short terms with very high scores. When the limited supply of those dry up, investors will expand their range.

Think of it as a conventional land grab -- buyers are staking out Malibu before heading to say, Palo Alto. It's only natural.

When traffic appears in earnest, your wanting to sell ANY will be a moot point!
Thanks for the encouragement gammascalper! I need it right now...
Old 30th March 2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement gammascalper! I need it right now...
I haven't looked at your city names carefully, but regging city names can't be wrong because city names are always valuable.

@
Old 30th March 2006, 12:29 AM
A.W.O.L

You know what i'll do...

Later today I'll give you guys a really special Japanese tip....
Of course it'll be in the members sections...

(Sorry guest gotta give some perks to members first)
Old 30th March 2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I haven't looked at your city names carefully, but regging city names can't be wrong because city names are always valuable.
Thanks Giant...that is what I had thought too.

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(

(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)
Old 30th March 2006, 03:39 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Though, when I posted a thread about Japanese citys as investments, idnceo pretty well shot me down in flames. And as I haven't had a single nibble at my 69 name list, I had started to wonder if he was right! :-(

(If either you Giant, or any other of you guys can spare a minute to critique my list, I would greatly appreciate it. You are most welcome to post your comments on the thread)
I think your city list is fine. One way or another. Keep the faith. I'd advise not to be in a rush to sell your holdings. Flipping quickly in this market won't guarantee a great return.
Old 30th March 2006, 04:00 AM
A.W.O.L

Yeah I guess I realize I might hold off on getting names in auctions & just mine some domains for you guys.

I really wanted Calendar from RD when I realized I could deevelop it quickly but then realized for the same money to outbid Alph I could register about 30 new IDN Domains in Japanese.

And so I did...

I think if I get any more domains it's just to put up on auction...
Old 30th March 2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Your domain names are ok, but don't try to sell them now because the potential buyers are not here yet. 2007 may be a good time for you to sell some of them, and the rest probably later. Investing in domain names is like making wine, it needs time.

@
Old 30th March 2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Your domain names are ok, but don't try to sell them now because the potential buyers are not here yet. 2007 may be a good time for you to sell some of them, and the rest probably later. Investing in domain names is like making wine, it needs time.
Hi mate

Thanks for your taking the time to PM your advice to me

Comments like yours (and from a few other members) have been a great encouragement today!

Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues, but hopefully it will pay dividends in the long run.

Kind regards

seamo
Old 30th March 2006, 05:28 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree with this statement, especially at this point of time, looking at the quality of names that are still available wide open - it's better to have a few good names that cost less to maintain and appreciates more over time than to have a few hundred miscellaneous names that is a challenge to renew every year.

Myself, i've bought close to $5k (mostly chinese cities and adult) of names from the secondary market since early Jan and these have already appreciated a few folds. I registered another 380 names between Nov last year and Feb, and i'm lucky that my PPC can cover 80% of renewal costs.

Last edited by touchring; 30th March 2006 at 05:36 AM..
Old 30th March 2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I agree with this statement, especially at this point of time, looking at the quality of names that are still available wide open - it's better to have a few good names that cost less to maintain and appreciates more over time than to have a few hundred miscellaneous names that is a challenge to renew every year.

Myself, i've bought close to $5k (mostly chinese cities and adult) of names from the secondary market since early Jan and these have already appreciated a few folds. I registered another 380 names between Nov last year and Feb, and i'm lucky that my PPC can cover 80% of renewal costs.
OMG...PPC paying for 80% of your renewal costs?....that would be paradise...!
Old 30th March 2006, 06:15 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
OMG...PPC paying for 80% of your renewal costs?....that would be paradise...!
I hope so, i believe many people have PPC that cover several times of renewal costs for their entire portfolio if they park and spend time to keyword/category optimize all their names.

80% is an approximate figure, plus minus 10%. My Arabic names cover several times their renewal costs. Chinese names almost cover their renewal cost despite the RMB ( divide by 8 ) payout from Silverclicks - the killer chinese domains are those adult names - i've got several with dozens of views a day and CTR is 25-30% without setting keywords - i've not figured out how to do so yet with SC. These subsidize the other names.

I've started to experiment getting my names into search engine indexes, if it works, i might cover renewal costs entirely and with surplus.

There are still ways to increase PPC further, as Hanidns has proven with trafficz.com, which shows Korean ads, and pays $0.15 per click versus $0.03 for ND for Korean traffic.

Last edited by touchring; 30th March 2006 at 06:31 AM..
Old 27th April 2006, 09:51 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread. I too am a little quick on the draw sometimes, and I have reg'd a couple of IDNs thinking they meant one thing, when they actually don't mean exactly what I thought.

However, I have been paying attention to the Googles and the OVT scores and things, so they still seem to be decent domains.

I think a major frustration is the waiting game, especially seeing IDNs starting to go for big cash. I need to keep reminding myself that patience is key.

This forum is a Godsend for people who want to break into this, though. I've learned so much in the last day or two here, and I'm glad there is still hope to learn and make OK money.
Old 28th April 2006, 12:04 AM

grubstaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Here Here... excellent thread... I have quite a few that I believe are valuable... but a whole lot more that I registered too quickly.
Old 28th April 2006, 02:15 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Cmon Seamo, i didnt shoot you in flames, i just said i didnt see the hot deal of digging so deep in city terminology from my perspective, specially when u could register something else. But everything is up to you, you listen here members's comments and you take your decisions but dont blame me for what u register or not register. Anyway dont worry so much, todays so-so domains, they will seem to be gems registrations next year. Just imagine what the new members in january 2007 are gonna start registering.