IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2008, 01:53 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
ICANN responds to questions about DNAME & Aliasing

Thanks for the response Tina, it will be interesting to see what further information can be provided.

http://public.icann.org/node/836

QUOTE:
Hi bwhhisc, thanks for your comment on DNAME and alaising. The reason I have been very careful about discussing alaising is that the question of aliasing is what needs to be defined and answered. Before we fully understand what people believe aliaising means and what kind of functionality they tie to aliasing, we really cannot talk about a solution.

However, I understand that as we are moving close to the finalization of the process for introduction of new gTLDs and the IDNC fast track for introduction of "IDN ccTLDs" the question about aliasing might be re-opened. And so it looks like we may need to let some things run in parallel. For that reason I talked to some individual from the technical community about their view on this topic. And whether it might be feasible to test how DNAME would work as an aliasing mechnism between two TLDs. The initial result was surprisingly not positive. I admit that I had expected it to work, but it did not in a laboratory environment. Some more discussions are going on in technical fora and it is possible that we will go ahead and examine the test further. However, this is where we stand today. Now, it is possible that there are other solutions to aliasing than DNAME that needs to be tried out. I believe it would be good to try to have/find a standard solution to aliasing functionality so that if aliasing is used then it is done the same way across all the TLDs using it.

I will raise the question again in technical fora and see if they have examined things further and found other results and/or what potentially needs to be done for doing so.

Tina
Old 6th June 2008, 04:34 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: ICANN responds to questions about DNAME & Aliasing

Thanks Bill. That outline answer from Tina raises so many questions .... I'll chip in with a few:

1) What / where are these labs Tina is talking about?
2) Who conducted the experiments?
3) Why were the results not published (or were they?)
4) What aspect of DNAME makes it unsuitable for aliasing?
5) If DNAME can't be used for aliasing, what can it be used for? ;-)
Old 6th June 2008, 12:39 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Thanks Bill. That outline answer from Tina raises so many questions .... I'll chip in with a few:

1) What / where are these labs Tina is talking about?
2) Who conducted the experiments?
3) Why were the results not published (or were they?)
4) What aspect of DNAME makes it unsuitable for aliasing?
5) If DNAME can't be used for aliasing, what can it be used for? ;-)
All good questions and seems they will have to be answered soon. For some "Update to DNAME Redirection" , this link was put up by RD over at DNL. It is dated May, 2, 2008

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...s-dname-13.txt
Old 6th June 2008, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

So basically ICANN has its head up its arse.

China, Taiwan and Hong Kong amongst other have set out their stalls assuming mapping of TLDs, but ICANN has sorted of not really noticed what is going on.

So they had a little fiddle and it didn't seem to work. Don't they think Verisign would have had a little fiddle before they put the proposal forward?

It seems they must have Homey on the staff there.

"If at first you don't succeed, then give up."
Old 6th June 2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
It seems they must have Homey on the staff there.
"If at first you don't succeed, then give up."
As Will Rogers once said "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there".
Old 6th June 2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Ah well, DNAME can easily be emulated via database aliasing/mirroring at the TLD registry so no panic.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 6th June 2008 at 09:27 PM..
Old 6th June 2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Ah well, DNAME can easily be emulated via database aliasing/mirroring at the TLD registry so no panic.
That sounds like an awfully simple solution, what are we missing here... or should I say what is Verisign/ ICANN missing in suggesting this as a potential solution?
Old 7th June 2008, 04:22 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
All good questions and seems they will have to be answered soon. For some "Update to DNAME Redirection" , this link was put up by RD over at DNL. It is dated May, 2, 2008

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...s-dname-13.txt
Just read that whole document, and I can't find anything that says DNAME doesn't work - its just an updated IETF spec for DNAME ....
Old 7th June 2008, 07:41 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

*sigh*

Looks like the ccTLDs will have to show ICANN how it's done.
Old 7th June 2008, 07:52 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
My thoughts exactly.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Just read that whole document, and I can't find anything that says DNAME doesn't work - its just an updated IETF spec for DNAME ....
Over at the ICANN thread, I asked Tina to give us a reference to anything on DNAME she is getting her information from. Will post any info if she responds.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:59 AM

camarro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks for the response Tina, it will be interesting to see what further information can be provided.

http://public.icann.org/node/836

QUOTE:
Hi bwhhisc, thanks for your comment on DNAME and alaising. The reason I have been very careful about discussing alaising is that the question of aliasing is what needs to be defined and answered. Before we fully understand what people believe aliaising means and what kind of functionality they tie to aliasing, we really cannot talk about a solution.

However, I understand that as we are moving close to the finalization of the process for introduction of new gTLDs and the IDNC fast track for introduction of "IDN ccTLDs" the question about aliasing might be re-opened. And so it looks like we may need to let some things run in parallel. For that reason I talked to some individual from the technical community about their view on this topic. And whether it might be feasible to test how DNAME would work as an aliasing mechnism between two TLDs. The initial result was surprisingly not positive. I admit that I had expected it to work, but it did not in a laboratory environment. Some more discussions are going on in technical fora and it is possible that we will go ahead and examine the test further. However, this is where we stand today. Now, it is possible that there are other solutions to aliasing than DNAME that needs to be tried out. I believe it would be good to try to have/find a standard solution to aliasing functionality so that if aliasing is used then it is done the same way across all the TLDs using it.

I will raise the question again in technical fora and see if they have examined things further and found other results and/or what potentially needs to be done for doing so.

Tina

this just sound like bulls**t to me.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarro
They were looking hard at the situation back in 2006...seems some progress and decisions would have been made.
Just may be that what Drewbert suggested is the obvious solution.

http://gnso.icann.org/issues/idn-tld...rt-02aug06.htm
Old 7th June 2008, 10:05 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarro
I agree. Sounds like the same old bullshit, whether you ask Tina Dam, ICANN, Verisign or anyone else associated with IDN implementation. After asking questions for years, I've given up trying to get a straight and/or honest answer from anyone. Maybe nobody involved even really knows. Perhaps there is so much incompetence, lack of organization and/or political wrangling going on to make real progress for an IDN solution that I believe could have been completed years ago.
Old 7th June 2008, 10:13 PM
Veteran

I believe Verisign knows exactly where this is going which is why they say F*ck All.

From past experience, if they don't get their way, all hell breaks loose.
Old 8th June 2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I believe Verisign knows exactly where this is going which is why they say F*ck All. From past experience, if they don't get their way, all hell breaks loose.
Good memory, it wasn't even that long ago...notice who wrote the article back then.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02...s_icann_bluff/

QUOTE:
What has to be remembered is that VeriSign honestly believes that it is the Internet. It was around before ICANN, it’s been a fundamental part of the Net’s foundations since it persuaded the US government to give it complete control of the entire commercial side of the Internet when it first born.

VeriSign treats everyone with a gentle, arrogant pat on the head. But it is also a bully and won’t flinch from piling its full weight on someone that makes a rude remark about it or questions what it is doing. The difference with ICANN is that people have started listening to it instead of wise old uncle VeriSign.
END QUOTE

Last edited by bwhhisc; 8th June 2008 at 02:32 AM..
Old 8th June 2008, 08:16 AM
Veteran

Interesting Read. Underlines my point exactly. If we are hearing nothing from that direction, they clearly feel everything is hunky dory. In politics it is the often the stuff that doesn't make the press releases that is the most important. We won't know exactly what is going down until it happens, but if you are looking for signs of the things are going the presence or absence of bellicose threats from Verisign would be a good place to start. Verisign understand how important all this is, they are not just going to fold and walk away. Trust me there will be cards up the sleeves and guns under the table.
Old 8th June 2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
...notice who wrote the article back then.
Come to the dark side, Kieran. We have cookies!