IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2006, 03:54 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Icann IDN presentations on Tuesday.

Icann had a series of presentations on idn in Wellington this week. It will be interesting to hear the outcome.

These are the presentation pdfs. For some reason they don't load in IE7

Useful things to know before registering an IDN
http://icann.org/presentations/karp-...on-28mar06.pdf

CNNIC's IDN Activities
http://icann.org/presentations/li-id...on-28mar06.pdf

Needs and requirements for multi-lingual shared-script countries
http://icann.org/presentations/mohan...on-28mar06.pdf

Hong Xue, Member, At-Large Advisory Committee, and Member, President's Advisory Committee for IDNs, and Tina Dam, ICANN Chief Registry Liaison — Overview of the President's IDN Committee and IDN activities
http://icann.org/presentations/dam-i...on-28mar06.pdf

The page link
http://icann.org/meetings/wellington...dn-28mar06.htm
Old 30th March 2006, 04:20 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Icann IDN presentations on Tuesday.

Even in the US:
Among the 45 million non native English speaking residents in US, it’s estimated that 15 million can’t speak English at all, and 8.4 million can’t read English.

Wow!
Old 30th March 2006, 04:22 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Even in the US:
Among the 45 million non native English speaking residents in US, it’s estimated that 15 million can’t speak English at all, and 8.4 million can’t read English.

Wow!
Grannies? They probably dun use internet anyway.
Old 30th March 2006, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Every day, thousands of people drive across the border from Mexico into the border states of the USA to go to work (factories, etc) and then return across the border at night to their families and homes.

Go visit parts of Miami (Cuban suburbs) and see how far you get using English. :^)
Old 30th March 2006, 06:45 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

One thing that is really bothering me is cnnic's take on Dname. Page 14 of the link.

http://icann.org/presentations/li-id...on-28mar06.pdf

Quote:
Problem with dname in gtld.

Dname grants the existing TLD owners new TLDs, it may create a hostile environment for competition in the gtld market.

Many Nations are concerned about a foriegn company mange a TLD in their own language.

Hostile to users, a domain name dispute in ones language has to be resolved internationally.
Basically, from my take of this, what they are saying is all the americans already own the best chinese idn.com's we don't want to just give them idn.idn.
Old 30th March 2006, 07:22 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

It looks to me like they have already made their mind up..

Slide 13 is entitled "Dname vs NS Record"

Slides 14 & 15 highlight the pitfalls of Dname

there is no mention of any perceived downside of "NS Record"
Old 30th March 2006, 08:05 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Hi,

Can someone please explain how ns record system will affect our idn's?
is it a disadvantage to us/no diffrence in comparesment to dname or an advantage?

Thank you,

Michael
Old 30th March 2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Can they really implement NS Record by year's end? Seems to me this would take quite a bit of effort.

I understand their concern but DNAME would not be 'giving' new TLDs to those who have IDN.com. It just makes it equivalent to IDN.IDN. This maintains the global reach of the .com namespace. Creating a bunch of second-rate .com look-alikes would be very confusing.

The fact that Americans own many of the Chinese IDN.com is irrelevant. IDNs were introduced in 2000? China (or any other country) had plenty of time to pick and choose any names they wanted. Sounds like sour grapes.
Old 30th March 2006, 08:16 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
Can they really implement NS Record by year's end? Seems to me this would take quite a bit of effort.

I understand their concern but DNAME would not be 'giving' new TLDs to those who have IDN.com. It just makes it equivalent to IDN.IDN. This maintains the global reach of the .com namespace. Creating a bunch of second-rate .com look-alikes would be very confusing.

The fact that Americans own many of the Chinese IDN.com is irrelevant. IDNs were introduced in 2000? China (or any other country) had plenty of time to pick and choose any names they wanted. Sounds like sour grapes.
if you read some of ICANN's documents it was an argument whether the owner of the .com should get the .kom in russian etc which was kinda lame sounding lol...

but yea they will be equivalent... luckily Verisign supports the .com registry in this instance and wants them to be equivalent so they make more cash
Old 30th March 2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Creating a .com equivalent run by China, a .com equivalent run by Russia, etc would be disasterous. Verisign would definitely fight that bitterly.

Also, countries already have their own TLD. Now they want a .com equivalent too? And this .com equivalent would essentially only be accessible to those who speak the language. That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 30th March 2006, 09:07 PM

Those slides represent opinions and suggestions of CNNIC. It's a significant member and a valuable partner, but Verisign will fight like hell to get the DNAME going. The fact that American citizens own a lot of IDN .coms should not be factored into any decision. I bet the first 10,000 .coms in 1994 were registered and owned by Americans.
Old 30th March 2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>I bet the first 10,000 .coms in 1994 were registered and owned by Americans.

How much?

>"Useful things to know before registering an IDN"

And not a squeak about variant blocking.

.cn is right about one thing - once the DNAME test is over and cleared, the ccTLD's should be free to have their chosen local script variant of their ccTLD loaded into the root and running. As long as their chosen script hasn't been picked to tread on the toes of an existing gTLD.

gTLD DNAME - looks like a shitfight brewing between .cn and Verisign.

Last edited by Drewbert; 30th March 2006 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 31st March 2006, 08:08 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

I guess the advent of any disruptive technology is always associated with confusion that presents opportunities to entrepreneurs. Like NS v/s DNAME in this case. This confusion period here perhaps is giving us ample time to load on IDNs. Well, if its DNAME eventually, we are happy! While, if its NS I am not sure how it would look like.
Old 31st March 2006, 07:14 PM
Administrator

If it's NS, well all have to rush out and get cheap TM's from Mondoviasklavona for generic terms so we can join in the ICANN sunrise bullshit rather than getting the leftovers in landrush.
Old 31st March 2006, 07:28 PM

Well if NS happens all of the names we've invested in are worth a negative 8 dollars. In other words, we are F-U-C-K-E-D! And that's putting it nicely.

If ns happens that's also how much money for trademark holders to protect their names in every single extension. I wouldn't think that would bode well with the corps.
Old 31st March 2006, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Those slides represent opinions and suggestions of CNNIC. It's a significant member and a valuable partner, but Verisign will fight like hell to get the DNAME going. The fact that American citizens own a lot of IDN .coms should not be factored into any decision. I bet the first 10,000 .coms in 1994 were registered and owned by Americans.

Doesn't matter who fights harder, 99.999% of traffic for chinese idns come from China.
Old 31st March 2006, 07:32 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Well if NS happens all of the names we've invested in are worth a negative 8 dollars. In other words, we are F-U-C-K-E-D! And that's putting it nicely.

If ns happens that's also how much money for trademark holders to protect their names in every single extension. I wouldn't think that would bode well with the corps.
So you guys dont think SEO will atleast give us some advantage ?
Old 31st March 2006, 07:52 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why you guys worry. Everything looks very good to me, including the slides presentation from CNNIC.

You mis-understood what CNNIC said a little bit, they did not mean the IDN.coms we registered, they said many countries were concerned a foreign company like Verisign controlling their languages' IDN like [Chinese].com or [Russian].Kom... (Privately, I am sure even China would agree the world will be better off this way)

But no need to be concerned, China just needs to say something as usual, they are pretty happy with what ICANN and Verisign are doing. Cheers!

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 31st March 2006 at 08:01 PM..
Old 31st March 2006, 07:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Not all will be worth -8 dollars. Asian languages and Arabic script where .com is strong will be less affected. Latin languages will not be affected.

In fact for Chinese IDN, a virtual form of NS already exists - .公司, and it doesn't really affect chineseidn.com.

The best thing to happen for us is for them to fight and drag over the decision, so that neither NS or DNAME will be implemented within the next two years - enough time to let idn.com establish.

Anyway, the axiom for good investment is to diversify. I regged 15 .公司 for hedging purpose.

Last edited by touchring; 31st March 2006 at 08:01 PM..
Old 31st March 2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Let's not overreact. DNAME or no DNAME, we'll be just fine. That latin-based idn.com that you have will work without any DNAME solution, since it's already an idn.idn. Plus, asian idn.coms will always be around and worth a ton, since new .idn extentions will take years to assimilate.