IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2006, 04:20 PM

madcamel is an unknown quantity at this point
DomainersHub.com is now monitoring IDNForums.com

Hi All,

I just finished adding IDNForums.com to my site http://DomainersHub.com.

I believe this will help your IDN Sales by giving them more exposure.

Since the IDN support was just recently added to the site, there might be some bugs with it - please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Thanks!
Idan

(btw, I got Olney's permission to post this here)

Last edited by madcamel; 30th March 2006 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30th March 2006, 08:14 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: DomainersHub.com is now monitoring IDNForums.com

Wow, great site. This is a really great tool. Got it bookmarked.

Thanks.
Old 30th March 2006, 11:52 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

That's a dangerous tool. Many of the forums being monitored aren't open to search engines, yet now even if somebody edits their original thread DomainersHub.com has a record that they were trying to sell the domain. That may come back and bite people...
Old 31st March 2006, 04:04 AM

gdubs is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope you dont post the sales from the exclusive forum at dnf, the main reason I bought an exclusive membership was so it would be private
Old 31st March 2006, 04:18 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

The tool also circumvents the "adult" restrictions in place on various forums. All in all, it's not something I approve of.
Old 31st March 2006, 04:40 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not sure about which sales are being show from DNForum but all of our domain sale threads are open.
The sites included in there were asked permission just like I was asked permission.

It doesn't look like it's storing all sale threads it's just a domain sale RSS reader.

For people paying for exec services on DNForum
When you log out you'll see that all of your posted Domains titles are viewable to the public already. Domain Name etc. You have to put the domain in the titles right?

The site is optimized that way to increase content, so spiders can read the titles (I assume)
Platinum, & Gold Members can't access those forums at all but nonsiogned in people can already see the names of the titles & domains being offered, just not the details.

Log off & look...
This guys reader software is just reading off what everyone else can already see...
Don't blame him...
Old 31st March 2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
That's a dangerous tool. Many of the forums being monitored aren't open to search engines, yet now even if somebody edits their original thread DomainersHub.com has a record that they were trying to sell the domain. That may come back and bite people...
You can access only up to page 99 (which means up to 1 month back or so). I can easily change this to less.

Quote:
i hope you dont post the sales from the exclusive forum at dnf, the main reason I bought an exclusive membership was so it would be private
I don't.
Old 31st March 2006, 05:14 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Domain filter: xn-- does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
The tool also circumvents the "adult" restrictions in place on various forums. All in all, it's not something I approve of.
What adult restrictions? In any case, filtering *domain names* on a website intended for domain buyers and sellers for adult words is just too much! Come on.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 31st March 2006 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 31st March 2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Domain filter: xn-- does not work.
I only display non ASCII domains from IDN forums, to prevent displaying stuff like "flower.net" when the post says "flower.net in Japanese".

To show only IDNs, just enter "idn" in the category filter.
Old 31st March 2006, 05:28 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Right. But you should add a link to filter out all no-ascii domains, otherwise people searching for idns *will* type in "xn--" into the filter to see IDNs, and currently not all of them show up. I tried IDN for a category filter and it worked, but that wasn't the first thing I did.

See, xn-- is the only way to search for "IDN"s in a list of domains. That's what people have been using, so that's what they will type into the "filter".

You are better off storing the domains in the database in "xn--" format also, and then converting them the Unicode at time of display, so people can search for both xn-- format and real unicode.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:38 AM

Your suggestion is good, but not that easy to implement.
In the meanwhile I guess I'll just add a "tip" that says to use "idn" in the category.

Thank you.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:44 AM
Veteran

I realized IDN in the category only brings up forums with IDN in the forum name.

If you are recording with Unicode, the way to do it is to implement is a search for != [0-9a-z] domains.

Also, consultdomain.de isn't using utf-8, and sales show up as h�usertraum.de, needs conversion to utf-8 from ISO-8859-1.

Are you using perl?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 31st March 2006 at 11:59 AM..
Old 31st March 2006, 12:29 PM

The script that updates the DB is Perl. The site itself is php.
I just noticed this consultdomain problem.
Any idea how to fix it ?
Thanks,
Idan

btw
If I'll make a search for all != [0-9a-z] domains I will miss all the latin IDNs.
Old 31st March 2006, 12:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcamel
The script that updates the DB is Perl. The site itself is php.
I just noticed this consultdomain problem.
Any idea how to fix it ?

If I'll make a search for all != [0-9a-z] domains I will miss all the latin IDNs.
You need to convert from that ISO encoding to Unicode. It is easy in perl. Don't do a group tr/abc/abz/ - this doesn't work with unicode, you have to write out each character converstion individually and use s.

$string =~ s/�/ü/g; #Pasted in corrupted ü character...

$string =~ s/ OLD CHARACTER / NEW CHARACTER /g;

If you search [0-9a-z], you will not get é and ü, which are present in Latin IDNs, you will just get ascii, so I don't see your point.

Here is some code to convert UTF-8 into &# characters, if you were to save this into a file in ISO encoding, then read it back in using a unix text editor into a .pl that is in utf-8 format, you would have a good conversion into &# that would show up no matter what. Now, once you have put this into your .pl file, go through the list and change the &#'s into real utf-8's. Warning: This may result in a utf-8 MIXED with ISO format file, which will be corrupted if you edit it with some regular text editor. So the solution is to keep the ISO to UTF-8 conversion as a separate .pl subroutine that gets loaded. There may be a simpler way to do this or some perl library to deal with conversion between encoding, but I like the control that this approach has, and it has worked for me for years now.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 31st March 2006 at 12:55 PM..
Old 31st March 2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks I'll try that.

Also,
you said : "the way to do it is to implement is a search for != [0-9a-z] domains.".
I thought you meant that this is a way to search only for IDNs. But this will filter out domains like für.com
Old 31st March 2006, 12:59 PM
Veteran

I don't think ü would be caught by [a-z],

!= [0-9a-z] in perl means: match everything that has characters except 0123456789qwertyuiopaasdfghjklzxcvbnm, right?

So you would search for things that contain != [0-9a-z] characters, ie. non-ascii. However you write that in php....

Edit: bigger version of toEscapedHTML.txt attached.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th December 2009 at 09:38 PM..
Old 31st March 2006, 01:02 PM

Got it.
Maybe I'll just ask the other forum admin to change the encoding.
Old 31st March 2006, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcamel
Got it.
Maybe I'll just ask the other forum admin to change the encoding.
That's a good solution. If it can be done.
Old 31st March 2006, 01:20 PM

EDIT: My mistake.
Old 26th April 2006, 01:21 PM

Finally found some time to fix the IDN issues.

You can now search ONLY for IDNs.

Blast - I found a really easy way to fix the encoding thing : http://il2.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlentities.php

Thanks for your help.