IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2006, 12:41 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Domainsite parked domains

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but here goes:

Over the past few days I was busy regging idns with Domainsite, and just left them parked there until I got around to sending them to my ppc provider.

So I visit one of these parked domains today and it's going to a Domain Sponsor landing page!

Since when has domainsite been redirecting parked domains to DomainSponsor?

And, most importantly, where's my check?

Anyone here with same experiences?

Anyone from domainsite care to explain?
Old 31st March 2006, 12:51 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: Domainsite parked domains

Most registrars park domains for themselves unless you specify otherwise. It's the "dirty little secret" of the domain industry, except it's not really a secret since all you have to do is read the T&C carefully. DomainSite are just doing what just about everyone else is...
Old 31st March 2006, 01:12 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

I know most of them are doing it, ( just like the very close shaving in the adult space) but usually registrars peddle their own stuff; domain registration, hosting and such, somatimes along with a pay-per-click feed.

But if they're going to redirect to a ppc service, they might as well have that feature available to their customers, as a defult ppc choice; just enter your ppc preference and id and get half of the proceeds since you're too lazy to do it for yourself

Wishful thinking...

Finally, even if everyone and their momma is doing it, it's stillblatant theft in my book, no matter how you look at it.

What would happen if for example I reg a hot trademarked name and just leave it parked? Who will be sued for damages? The registrant of the domain or the entity which is profiting from it?

Hmmm. I just might do that.
Old 1st April 2006, 09:39 AM

madcamel is an unknown quantity at this point

Domainsite does a much worse thing - I once had a domain there with Fabulous's NS. I transfered it to enom, and after a few months that it was at enom I noticed that it has Domainsite's NS (and was redirecting to their DS parked page)
They simply changed the NS to their own before the transfer!
Old 1st April 2006, 11:03 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I'm having the exact same problem with some domains at domaindiscount24.net. They refuse to honor name server change requests, and seem to change them back at random. This has gotten me so annoyed, I'm going to move all the names away from them even before they are close to renewal. It only seems to affect parking site name servers, so I bet you, they think parking site domains aren't going to be monitored that closely, they can just go ahead and switch back the name server to their own and get the money themselves.