IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2006, 12:27 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Why some of u are taking .cc?

I saw on February that 北京.cc 上海.cc and many more in .cc were available but 2 months later all taken, how come? do i miss something when i saw them available and i didnt take them or what? Sure i didnt register 上海.tv and 韓国.tv last February when i saw there were available but at that time the "masters or gurus" were saying not to register .tv and bla bla that happens when u thought some guys were really experts in IDNs and domains in general... but anyway forgotten, why to register .cc like 上海.cc? should i regret i didnt take it?

As a sidenote, funny thing is that my lists in different extensions gotta be good or something, by now 35% of them are taken. i guess 3 months more and all available i have will be taken.

Last edited by idnceo; 31st March 2006 at 12:35 PM..
Old 31st March 2006, 12:46 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why some of u are taking .cc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
I saw on February that 北京.cc 上海.cc and many more in .cc were available but 2 months later all taken, how come? do i miss something when i saw them available and i didnt take them or what? Sure i didnt register 上海.tv and 韓国.tv last February when i saw there were available but at that time the "masters or gurus" were saying not to register .tv and bla bla that happens when u thought some guys were really experts in IDNs and domains in general... but anyway forgotten, why to register .cc like 上海.cc? should i regret i didnt take it?

As a sidenote, funny thing is that my lists in different extensions gotta be good or something, by now 35% of them are taken. i guess 3 months more and all available i have will be taken.

Many "gurus" will find the most impossible reasons to condemn any kind of domains that they do not stock for reselling purpose. Without suggesting that 北京.cc 上海.cc domains are good, if it's only a few domains that you fancy, just go ahead and register - the upside is more than the downside.
Old 31st March 2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Many "gurus" will find the most impossible reasons to condemn any kind of domains that they do not stock for reselling purpose. Without suggesting that 北京.cc 上海.cc domains are good, if it's only a few domains that you fancy, just go ahead and register - the upside is more than the downside.
Touchring, i do think .cc is bad. But the point is that they are being taken. So i wonder if i miss some potential on them. 上海.cc has value? i cant guess. Some people are thinking so and they are taking many chinese domains in any possible extension like .cc

Now that i see you selling español.tv for that amount u think it values, i regret deeply i didnt take 上海.tv or 韓国.tv anyway now i do value .tv but the people taking .cc mades me wonder.

Last edited by idnceo; 31st March 2006 at 01:03 PM..
Old 31st March 2006, 02:20 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
Touchring, i do think .cc is bad. But the point is that they are being taken. So i wonder if i miss some potential on them. 上海.cc has value? i cant guess. Some people are thinking so and they are taking many chinese domains in any possible extension like .cc

Now that i see you selling español.tv for that amount u think it values, i regret deeply i didnt take 上海.tv or 韓国.tv anyway now i do value .tv but the people taking .cc mades me wonder.
I personally have never went for .cc in any language even though i see a few sales on sedo for .cc some take really strong keywords in.cc ,and this probally fuels more people to buy them. hey who knows might be a .CC revoloution comming that someone didnt tell me about :p
Old 1st April 2006, 03:48 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

TV is valuable because it means TV. CC means carbon copy, closed captioned, country code. I don't see a strong meaning for it.
Old 1st April 2006, 04:00 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My personal take is this.
You guys can buy sell purchase all the extensions you want.
The first people who develop popular IDN sites those extensions will have dominance.
And Parking sites won't cut it either...
Old 1st April 2006, 04:47 AM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

Its nice to see somebody feeling bad for not registering 韓国.TV (korea.TV), Coz I own it. But, believe me you can find a lot of good IDNs in all the extensions, provided you search well and smartly....
Old 1st April 2006, 04:52 AM

so you were the one? just kidding, but yeah korea lately got a lot of attention regarding television soap operas - i even watch one myself ...-, movies, music, etc. i mean media stuff, that s why i thought on february im gonna add it to my list of possible domains to register but i didnt right away based on those bad advices, anyway really good luck with it! : )
Old 19th May 2007, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
My personal take is this.
You guys can buy sell purchase all the extensions you want.
The first people who develop popular IDN sites those extensions will have dominance.
And Parking sites won't cut it either...
If that were true then ASCII.info would be king of the hill.

Dot com is King because it has mindshare with major corporates.

The only two examples of Corporate Ad campaigns you have produced have been dot com. That has nothing to do with Mini-site development.
Old 19th May 2007, 11:50 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

I have seen a lot of .cc registered by Chinese - Communist China perhaps?

From experience if the keyword is top class the extension will make little difference to the potential for a sale - only the price will differ. The .com obviously rules but other extensionwill sell, probably before the .com .

Those that can't afford the TopWord.com will look for alternatives-simple as that!
Old 19th May 2007, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Dot CC does have some mindshare in China. I haven't seen any dot WS or dot TV there. The level of mindshare of dot CC is small compared with dot CN and dot Com but it definitely exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
I have seen a lot of .cc registered by Chinese - Communist China perhaps?

From experience if the keyword is top class the extension will make little difference to the potential for a sale - only the price will differ. The .com obviously rules but other extensionwill sell, probably before the .com .

Those that can't afford the TopWord.com will look for alternatives-simple as that!
Old 19th May 2007, 12:40 PM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

I've one and the only one dot CC domain name - [北京.cc]

From the Whois records shown that I got this name on March 2006.

When I checking the availability of [北京] in all extension...
find that only dot CC available - pick it up on domainsite.
Old 19th May 2007, 12:57 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNer
I've one and the only one dot CC domain name - [北京.cc]

From the Whois records shown that I got this name on March 2006.

When I checking the availability of [北京] in all extension...
find that only dot CC available - pick it up on domainsite.

北京 C ommunist C hina - perfect match
Old 19th May 2007, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Chinese never really took to CN. They never understood why they got those two letters. It is certainly not the letters they would have chosen for themselves. Basic problem was the Swiss had CH cornered. It may be that some people identify better with CC. Of course it could be mainly Cantonese, but really we would need some insights from native Chinese.
Old 19th May 2007, 05:02 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Chinese never really took to CN. They never understood why they got those two letters. It is certainly not the letters they would have chosen for themselves. Basic problem was the Swiss had CH cornered. It may be that some people identify better with CC. Of course it could be mainly Cantonese, but really we would need some insights from native Chinese.
"Chinese never really took to CN."

Wow... dude, seriously, you've got to stop before I conclude that you're talking out of your butt.
Old 19th May 2007, 05:50 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I must agree on that one RD, I don't even follow Chinese domains and I think you got that one WAY wrong. The Chinese totally seem into .cn

As for .cc - I own only one which I regged for development purposes - アフィリエイト.cc "affiliate"
Old 19th May 2007, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar

Wow... dude, seriously, you've got to stop before I conclude that you're talking out of your butt.

Actually it is not me that has the problem. I am not talking about the support for their own national registry, but having followed the ICANN discussions on One and Two characters relating to the New TLD Policy, it is quite obvious that the Chinese felt that the use of those two letters was imposed upon them and it is not at all what they would have chosen it they had been given an option. Until ISO list was created virtually nobody in China it seems associated that particular combination of characters with the country they lived in stark contrast to uk, us, de, fr, es or ch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I must agree on that one RD, I don't even follow Chinese domains and I think you got that one WAY wrong. The Chinese totally seem into .cn

As for .cc - I own only one which I regged for development purposes - アフィリエイト.cc "affiliate"
You mis-read me, see above. I am not saying they are not supportive of their own national registry extension. What I am saying is that are historical issues around the way the end up with CN. JP was the rational choice for Japan. The Chinese did not necessarily feel that CN was the rational choice to represent their country.

Quote:

Perhaps you can explain by what convoluted process you get from 中国 >>Zhōngguó >>CN ? Dude?

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 19th May 2007 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 20th May 2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you can explain by what convoluted process you get from 中国 >>Zhōngguó >>CN ? Dude?
As per your article, 90% of all government websites are using IDN.CN. Strong governmental support.

.CN is also the number 5 most registered ccTLD in the world. This was pre-1 Yuan pricing.

Do you think the Japanese like that they got JP? put an "a" in the middle and you got a racial slur.

Hell dude, I don't see pickets outside anywhere complaining about .CN except for a British guy with a Chinese domain company invested largely in .com.

Last edited by Prodigy; 20th May 2007 at 01:20 AM..
Old 20th May 2007, 05:40 AM
Veteran

Before coming out with even more abuse, please read the comments i have made objectively, and use the little intelligence you have been blessed with, address the points that have been made rather continuing with this Vendetta, which has far more to do with your Agenda than mine.

I was not aware that there was a problem with the Japanese with the term JP. I am aware that there has been an ongoing issue with the Chinese relating to the two letter code that they have been given. This has come up several times in ICANN discussions. If I had the references I would give them to you, but if you think I am going to bust my butt all day Sunday looking for them in non-searchable file formats just to try to placate somebody, who refers to me as Dude, then you must think again on that one as well. You are in no position to moan about slurs.

Frankly, I don't give a toss what you think about merits or dot com verses dot cn, and I sure nobody much gives a great deal over my views either. Neither of them will have significant impact on the market, short-term and they certainly won't affect the longer-term outcome. I am confident in my investment decisions. If you are confident in yours, then show a little maturity and wait for the outcome rather than pouncing on every comment made by others and making a complete prat out of yourself.

If you have any insight to put forward then perhaps you will explain this:

Perhaps you can explain by what convoluted process you get from 中国 >>Zhōngguó >>CN

If not just give us all a break.

Quote:
As per your article, 90% of all government websites are using IDN.CN. Strong governmental support.

.CN is also the number 5 most registered ccTLD in the world. This was pre-1 Yuan pricing.

Do you think the Japanese like that they got JP? put an "a" in the middle and you got a racial slur.

Hell dude, I don't see pickets outside anywhere complaining about .CN except for a British guy with a Chinese domain company invested largely in .com.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 20th May 2007 at 08:00 AM..
Old 20th May 2007, 08:24 AM

You know what RD, I wrote this large response but its pearl cast to swine.

Carry on naked emperor, carry on.

Last edited by Prodigy; 20th May 2007 at 08:29 AM..