IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > Politics, Philosophy and Economics

Politics, Philosophy and Economics Discuss world events, politics, philosophy and economics.

View Poll Results: How much of your net worth has been lost thanks to the financial crisis?
0-5% 4 36.36%
5-10% 4 36.36%
10-30% 0 0%
30%-50% 0 0%
50% upward 0 0%
I capitalized on it 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2008, 03:15 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road
What's your financial damage from the current US-born crisis?

I am interested to know how badly IDNers have been hit by the current US-born financial crisis?

It cannot be that the world of IDNing is totally immune from the real world economy. And I frankly admit that I have lost certain % of my net worth thanks the financial turmoil.

It's anonymous poll. Please answer roughly how much of your net worth (cash, saving, stocks, real estate, etc) has been lost due to the crisis.

For those of you who consider your IDNs to be the major part of your asset, please value them only at their acquisition cost (i.e., accumulative registration/purchase cost) for the purpose of this poll. Thanks.
Old 27th September 2008, 06:36 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What's your financial damage from the current US-born crisis?

I think you have to compare 2008 with 2005, it would not be realistic to compare September 2008 with February 2007! Almost no one practicing safe investing is spared, even Soros and Buffet are burnt.

I think anyone who has not lost more than 20% (in Euro ) is actually earning.
Old 27th September 2008, 02:52 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

well, i agree with you that most investers are burnt this time. in fact, that's the assumption of my poll. my question is not if but how badly people got hit...

i posted this poll because i wanted to know if IDNers purchasing power has been compromised by the ongoing crisis.
Old 27th September 2008, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

In a way, it is a bit of daft question. IDNers have protected themselves against US contraction by putting their money in an investment that is pretty much immune.

To count IDN investments at Par is meaningless. I paid 7 bucks for most of mine. Others have paid thousands. Are their domains forcibly worth more than mine?

It is also down to the degree of exposure. I tried to pursuade my father to reduce his property portfolio, but he didn't listen to some extent, I guess I did get hit, as he is in his 80s and unlikely to see much of a recovery in his lifetime.

At a personal finance level, I have done rather better. My partner and I have invested in propery in Czech Republic which is a totally different category to the UK, Spain or Ireland, and not in any way comparable to the grossly over-supplied US market. Other than that, the entire farm is in IDN. That is an investment position that I am very comfortable with.
Old 27th September 2008, 06:50 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
not in any way comparable to the grossly over-supplied US market.
A survey some time ago sited that over 1 billion people wanted to move to the US...
not sure it is still the case, but there will always be a demand for real estate here.

We do have a problem currently with certain rich people wanting to get richer at the cost of the common man.

I don't think IDNs have been hit by the current downtrend, I also feel safe in this investment.
Old 27th September 2008, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
A survey some time ago sited that over 1 billion people wanted to move to the US...
And how many of those would reach the criteria for a mortgage in the current environment or be able to pay cash?
Old 27th September 2008, 07:32 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
I don't think IDNs have been hit by the current downtrend, I also feel safe in this investment.

I know there are some of us here that went into both ascii and idns in 2007 at the same time (went into means buying, not just registering crap) and lost a lot of money in asciis recently (more than 50%), while their idn portfolio appreciated at least by a fold.

Last edited by touchring; 27th September 2008 at 07:40 PM..
Old 28th September 2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
And how many of those would reach the criteria for a mortgage in the current environment or be able to pay cash?
You should ask if IDNs can be accepted as a mortgage.

Last edited by Ryu; 28th September 2008 at 05:49 AM..