IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2006, 06:57 PM

IDNr is an unknown quantity at this point
Am I and others too late to register good domains?

Most of the domains that will be worth anything seem to have been registered already? Is there any other oppurtunities like IDNs that will come in the future so I can be in the game early?

Thanks
Old 1st April 2006, 07:00 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: Am I and others too late to register good domains?

No, not everything has been registered yet.

Also, don't overlook other languages besides Japanese and Chinese.
Old 1st April 2006, 07:02 PM

IDNr is an unknown quantity at this point

But its so hard to translate words correctly, is there a good way of doing this?
Old 1st April 2006, 07:04 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNr
Most of the domains that will be worth anything seem to have been registered already? Is there any other oppurtunities like IDNs that will come in the future so I can be in the game early?

Thanks
Not too late, but the pickins are gettin' slim! I know others say look at names other than Chinese and Japanese - but I prefer Japanese. Think of categories: medical, home products, tools, types of jewelry, computer supplies, occupations, hobbies, planet names, chemicals, generic medicines, etc. If all else fails, start buying some quality names (if you can afford it) from other resellers. You can sometimes find great names at $100 to $1000. But make sure the name you're getting is correct and popular (over 1 Million google matches, good OVT numbers, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNr
But its so hard to translate words correctly, is there a good way of doing this?
Translations are sometimes possible by searching google and validating how the word is used. For example, if you have a name (in whatever language) for knife, you should find sites that show pictures of knives, etc.

Last edited by idnowner; 1st April 2006 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 1st April 2006, 07:17 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

You're not too late, there are a lot of good names out there waitng to be picked up.
Admitedly, between the guys on this forum, they probably have most if not all the best names in Japanese and Chinese and a few others...
You're forgetting all the other languages, Hindi/Farsi/Persain/Arabic, Russian, Thai etc...
Having a knowledge of another language is definetly an advantage but is not essential. Use the tools that are freely available to anyone who wants to use them. Combine results from all tools and the chances are that you're correct.

Of course you'll register some 'dogs' but everyone does.
Keep hunting, the names are there, you just have to find them...
It just mans you will have to register 20 OK names to make them the equivalent of one top name...

There is still gold out there.
Old 1st April 2006, 08:28 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Here's an informative post by Edwin to help you start:
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1460...rd-source.html

Last week I picked up a chunk of German and French domains just by going to ebay.de and ebay.fr checking the various categories.

Yeah, the best ones were gone of course, but I found a lot of what I would consider second class generics, and I got tired and didn't finish up the job.

There are still more left.

I also would suggest looking up a generic keyword in the language of your interest, do a search in google for the word, and visit the first sites that come up until you find a huge site and go after their navigation bars to find correct terms and see if they're regged.
This is not 100% foolproof, but in combination with overture you can pretty much know if you got yourself a good term.

Also, some dictionaries have an option to give you results other than the exact term you're inputting.

So if you search for cars, you'll come up with a bunch of terms which conatin the word "cars" in a certain language.
A lot of times you'll see terms which look weird but they can very well be terms used in that particular country/language, and may have been missed by the speculators.

Basically, don't get frustrated, there are still a lot of good terms in a bunch of languages out there.

G/L

Last edited by yanni; 1st April 2006 at 08:30 PM..
Old 1st April 2006, 11:01 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yeah if it's Japanese Domains you want
Don't forget about getting them in dot jp extensions
Even if you go through perhaps Edwins list I think you can find good jps still open...

& occasionally a few good jps drop too

I just picked up 2 VERY NICE ones..
Old 1st April 2006, 11:36 PM

John W is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO, you're going to have to work for it and be creative.

I was away from the IDN game since last summer... then this week I've done quite a few registrations. I think I've picked up some really good names. But it's definitely getting harder. I'd say in the obvious languages first-tier names (depending on what you mean by first-tier) are getting scarce, so we're getting down to second-tier in either languages or names.

Countries and capitals in native languages for example... appear to be GONE except for a very few minor ones. As far as I can tell, I picked up the last two "good" country.nets late last night.

Actually now that I think about it I think we're reaching an interesting point in the market. New people who want to buy decent IDNs are going to have to start getting them from people who own them, rather than registering them directly.

Actually now that I think about it I think we're reaching an interesting point in the market. New people who want to buy decent IDNs are going to have to start getting them from people who own them, rather than registering them directly.

Last edited by John W; 1st April 2006 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:01 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yeah in about 2 years times DNJournals high IDN sales list will have mainly domains owned by IDN Forum members at some point especially in Japanese.
I plan to have a few of 'em up on there once in a while....:p
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:50 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

If you use this site's search function, select "advanced search" and then look for threads I've started, you should be able to find lists totalling over 1,500 .com IDNs that are potentially likely to have the .net (and if relevant the .jp) still available since I've almost never gone for either.

If it's on the board, it means I don't mind... the few names I am keeping my options open on (until/unless somebody happens to stumble across them of course) are the ones I never posted.

Others have also posted their own reg-lists, especially a couple of months or so ago (there were a lot posted around Jan/Feb if I recall) so a bit of digging could pay off nicely.

By and large, I'd say that directory and shopping sites have yielded more useful information than dictionary sites have. The former's navigation/categories often have gold nuggets lurking in them, even now.

A few useful expressions to get you started in Japanese....

サイトマップ = site map
ショッピング = shopping
カテゴリ一覧 = category list

So you could for example use combinations of the above to look for the category lists of shopping sites
Old 2nd April 2006, 01:57 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
It just mans you will have to register 20 OK names to make them the equivalent of one top name....
I was thinking the other day like that, but i found hard to believe 20 will make it up for a top name, maybe on traffic but not on the price of the domain because of the name. Sex.com i guess u need one million domains to make the price equivalent for such a name.