IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2008, 11:38 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Plug-in

There is added publicity in Israel on Hebrew domains.
Like in many cases, the writer knows very little on the topic and that is causing confusion as in one case they explained you can now get 100% Hebrew domains (only works with plug-in as we know but that wasn't specified.)

I tried one: הארץ.קום and it resolved for me in one computer that has the plug in (using the ISP that partnered with this company which sells them.)

My question is: When i.e הארץ.com will get its equivalent and will also be accessible to anyone worldwide when typing 100% hebrew הארץ.קום which הארץ.קום will the user get? A user that has the plug in.
How do we know that the real domain from verisign is the one users will reach?
Old 28th September 2008, 11:42 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275 View Post
There is added publicity in Israel on Hebrew domains.
Like in many cases, the writer knows very little on the topic and that is causing confusion as in one case they explained you can now get 100% Hebrew domains (only works with plug-in as we know but that wasn't specified.)

I tried one: הארץ.קום and it resolved for me in one computer that has the plug in (using the ISP that partnered with this company which sells them.)

My question is: When i.e הארץ.com will get its equivalent and will also be accessible to anyone worldwide when typing 100% hebrew הארץ.קום which הארץ.קום will the user get? A user that has the plug in.
How do we know that the real domain from verisign is the one users will reach?
No those with the plug in should be redirected to their own little island in their own parallel universe.

It will be like a Message in a Bottle.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:45 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

I also see NO WAY verisign will allow anyone to bank on they're .com brand, As pathetic of an attempt as it can be. IMO it borders illegal as wtf do i need a name that can pretty much be accessed no where.

Still, it would be good to confirm that is the case and maybe bring this to they're awareness as it is not only in Israel.

RegTime .net is doing it in Russia
DomainTheNet .com is doing it in Israel.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275 View Post
I also see NO WAY verisign will allow anyone to bank on they're .com brand, As pathetic of an attempt as it can be. IMO it borders illegal as wtf do i need a name that can pretty much be accessed no where.

Still, it would be good to confirm that is the case and maybe bring this to they're awareness as it is not only in Israel.

RegTime .net is doing it in Russia
DomainTheNet .com is doing it in Israel.
Versign only have rights to dot Com on the WWW. ICANN only have any say on the WWW, as do the US Government.

These people can do what the hell they want to on their network.

Their problem is getting people like me and you to dump what we know as The Internet, to join what they are too embarrassed to accurately describe as an alternative Internet.

Of course it could still happen. When China threatened to split The Root, this is precisely what would have happened. The bottom line is even the PRC didn't have confidence that they had sufficient critical mass to make it work.

Frankly, these schemes come along as often as Number 22 buses, and probably go to exactly the same destination.