IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   IDN Expired or Deleted Domains (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/idn-expired-or-deleted-domains/)
-   -   奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail. (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/186-%E5%A5%A5%E8%BF%90%E4%BC%9A-com-olympics-chinese-avail.html)

sarcle 2nd December 2005 10:14 PM

奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
I was searching through a list of names and found this beauty.

The olympics are headed beijing in 2008. I believe this domain will be huge.

I am letting someone who wants it go for it. Personally, The Olympics committee scares me.

Only thing I ask is you let us know how the traffic is.

P.S.

This phrase reaches the tops of google zeigiet list regularly.

Rubber Duck 3rd December 2005 01:00 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcle
I was searching through a list of names and found this beauty.

The olympics are headed beijing in 2008. I believe this domain will be huge.

I am letting someone who wants it go for it. Personally, The Olympics committee scares me.

Only thing I ask is you let us know how the traffic is.

P.S.

This phrase reaches the tops of google zeigiet list regularly.


Tend to agree with you. We have gone for 运动会.com which simply means Games. It is much more generic, but probably equally as useful. We also have versions with the 2008 incorporated, but that puts a sell by date on the domain.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

dnnames 4th January 2006 07:44 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Tried to take it, but it seems like the traditional is taken.

holycow 19th January 2006 10:44 PM

Actually, the common way to say olympics is just 奥运, without the last word...

duskdawn 16th April 2006 04:10 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
奥运会 has a higher ovt than 奥运, I would say the 奥运会 is a better and common and official choice.
It is not only hot because of 2008. Olympics is always popular in China in these 20 years, especially since China ranked the second in totall medals next to USA in 2004.

Giant 16th April 2006 04:58 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duskdawn
奥运会 has a higher ovt than 奥运, I would say the 奥运会 is a better and common and official choice.
It is not only hot because of 2008. Olympics is always popular in China in these 20 years, especially since China ranked the second in totall medals next to USA in 2004.

I hope you are right because I own the Traditional version 奧運會.com :-). I tried to keep silent on this name but ...

Any way, if I can get the Simplified Chinese version in time for the Games, that would be really really great. Any idea? Can I petition ICANN for this?

duskdawn 16th April 2006 07:23 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant
I hope you are right because I own the Traditional version 奧運會.com :-). I tried to keep silent on this name but ...

Any way, if I can get the Simplified Chinese version in time for the Games, that would be really really great. Any idea? Can I petition ICANN for this?

So why did you reg the traditional one? Because the simplified one is officially reserved? I thought i cannot reg the simplified one because the tradition one is taken?
I am still confused with some basic rules in Chinese IDN registration.:confused:

touchring 16th April 2006 07:40 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duskdawn
So why did you reg the traditional one? Because the simplified one is officially reserved? I thought i cannot reg the simplified one because the tradition one is taken?
I am still confused with some basic rules in Chinese IDN registration.:confused:


The rule is very simple - Verisign only allows you to take one variant of a Chinese character, either Simplified, Traditional or Japanese variant.

Their variant lookup table, however, is not complete, so in some cases (maybe 1% of all cases) you can take both versions.

duskdawn 16th April 2006 04:17 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
The rule is very simple - Verisign only allows you to take one variant of a Chinese character, either Simplified, Traditional or Japanese variant.

Their variant lookup table, however, is not complete, so in some cases (maybe 1% of all cases) you can take both versions.

Then I hate to say this but why he took the traditional one? What a huge market he missed.:rolleyes:
And another thing, will the other two variants be forwarded to the one regged? This makes more sense.

touchring 16th April 2006 04:43 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duskdawn
Then I hate to say this but why he took the traditional one? What a huge market he missed.:rolleyes:
And another thing, will the other two variants be forwarded to the one regged? This makes more sense.


Ducky mentioned the possibility that Verisign may implement a system that allows variant owners to register the other variant - but they have to sort out cases where there are 3 variants, 2 of which owned by different people, and the 3rd is blocked.

kenne 16th April 2006 04:44 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Ducky mentioned the possibility that Verisign may implement a system that allows variant owners to register the other variant - but they have to sort out cases where there are 3 variants, 2 of which owned by different people, and the 3rd is blocked.

:o

Drewbert 16th April 2006 05:08 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
>Personally, The Olympics committee scares me.

Vicious defenders of their non-coined TM, I'm afraid.

Giant 16th April 2006 06:53 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Ducky mentioned the possibility that Verisign may implement a system that allows variant owners to register the other variant - but they have to sort out cases where there are 3 variants, 2 of which owned by different people, and the 3rd is blocked.

If you have heard of RFC 3743 you should know that Chinese or Japanese domains are registered as a package including all its variants. When you delete or transfer, you delete or transfer a whole package of variants.

I think ICANN already adopted RFC 3743 or JET Guidelines, that's why Verisign had to change the registration method for IDNs in 2004. Before that, there was no blocking at all.

My question now is when will they allow us to register the other variant(s).

James Seng was working with JET Guidelines.

touchring 16th April 2006 06:57 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant
If you have heard of RFC 3743 you should know that Chinese or Japanese domains are registered as a package including all its variants. When you delete or transfer, you delete or transfer a whole package of variants.

I think ICANN already adopted RFC 3743 or JET Guidelines, that's why Verisign had to change the registration method for IDNs in 2004. Before that, there was no blocking at all.

My question now is when will they allow us to register the other variant(s).

James Seng was working with JET Guidelines.


Well, you can always email Verisign to ask if they would allow you to register the other variant.

Giant 16th April 2006 07:00 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbert
>Personally, The Olympics committee scares me.

Vicious defenders of their non-coined TM, I'm afraid.

No, 奥运会 is not a trademark. I think 奥林匹克 (Olympic) is.

奥运会 is like "O-games" in English.

dnnames 18th April 2006 09:59 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Ah so you are the person hording all the good names. I see your whois info so many times....

Giant 18th April 2006 03:08 PM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnnames
Ah so you are the person hording all the good names. I see your whois info so many times....

Not a lot, I have only 2k Chinese domains, probably 1% of the Chinese good terms. The one that owns most of the good names is TDC, at least 20 times more than me.

I saw your name show up many times too! :-)

jecyxing 4th June 2006 06:53 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Well, you can always email Verisign to ask if they would allow you to register the other variant.


is it a way to register successfully ?

pspdropship 29th August 2007 05:39 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
it seems it's reserved by the olympics committee for i failed to register it and no whois information available...

Asiaplay 29th August 2007 07:46 AM

Re: 奥运会.com Olympics Chinese. Avail.
 
I noticed Chinese search engines seem to translate search terms typed in as Traditional Chinese automatically into Simplified text / version (e.g. Baidu does this).

Question is:-
a) Do they also do this for Chinese IDNs as well (auto translate / recognise they are the same meaning as the simplified)?
b) Does resolution using a "browser" also default to the simplified (if traditional is typed in)?
If so, then perhaps it will still be ok - just a little of a pity you chose the Traditional form of this particular domain I agree.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: guys.. there is nothing wrong as to why you can not register (those of you trying and wondering why you can not register the simplified version).

Most of the time as Touchring pointed out - they will only allow one version to be registered and 99.99% of the time block the other (I suspect it will be a long time to almost never, before they allow both to be registered separately, except in the very small number of cases where they have already made the mistake as their tables were in error). This is also true for the .tw and .hk names - one must choose which variant (but by default gets both and both resolve).


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54