IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2008, 12:30 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road
Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

My first impression .. WOW!

This probably is the initial step in the direction of ubiquitous computing. PC morphing into a mobile phone, nice...

I also just checked Google chrome (Hindi version). Its not only fast but its 100% IDN compliant. Unicode remains as unicode. There are some additional features that look cool too.

All this gels well with the Google strategy of empowering the world languages on the net! Can't really imagine what Microsoft, Yahoo had been doing all this while, no innovation from their side for soooo long now.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3535300.cms
Old 30th September 2008, 12:32 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbiohealth View Post
My first impression .. WOW!

This probably is the initial step in the direction of ubiquitous computing. PC morphing into a mobile phone, nice...

I also just checked Google chrome (Hindi version). Its not only fast but its 100% IDN compliant. Unicode remains as unicode. There are some additional features that look cool too.

All this gels well with the Google strategy of empowering the world languages on the net! Can't really imagine what Microsoft, Yahoo had been doing all this while, no innovation from their side for soooo long now.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3535300.cms
People in Japan have been keen on mobile computing for years.....

This will never take off in America in replacing the pc
Old 30th September 2008, 12:58 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My first impression .. WOW! This probably is the initial step in the direction of ubiquitous computing. PC morphing into a mobile phone, nice...
Just talking about this subject and here's a great article. The potential size and projected growth of the mobile internet market in India and China is staggering. I hope Steve E will weigh in on the subject, he is really up to date on the state of the industry and expansion of this technology.
Old 30th September 2008, 01:22 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

No other phone today is quite like Gphone, which relatively is the closest to a PC in functionality.

You are right, this may not work in America, probably because people there already have computers at home. However, in countries like India Gphone can be immensely useful to bridge the digital divide (leapfrog straight from GII to GIV). I clearly see SMS functionality of mobiles in India being run over in future by Google chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
People in Japan have been keen on mobile computing for years.....

This will never take off in America in replacing the pc
Old 30th September 2008, 04:10 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I also just checked Google chrome (Hindi version). Its not only fast but its 100% IDN compliant. Unicode remains as unicode.
actually, there are times when unicode gets converted to punycode by chrome although they usually stay as unicode. i haven't figured out what in the site or system makes the difference. it's certainly not the types of TLD that make the difference. html tag is probably not the factor either based on my analysis. in short, i haven't got a clue. does anyone have an answer?

btw, i only tested japanese version of chome with jdn, so the situation might be different in different languages and setting.
Old 30th September 2008, 05:08 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

the google phone needs to be compelling to defeat any phone in the market...
developers will need to make money...

right now, Apple is making 10 to 20 million a day on apps in the Itunes app store...

finally iphone and itouch users are finding compelling s/w to use...

the phones are pentium chip computers ...with people 24/7.

the web and networked/ social apps for mobile are merging....
email, twittering, blogging are rapidly being added to SMS as phone habits around the world...

on mobilesitegalore.com , you can create a mobile web site from a phone, without having to input any html whatsoever....

and you don't need a dot mobi .....either..
Old 30th September 2008, 05:21 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

iPhone is just a phone.

Android is an environment.

It is not about the hardware.
Old 30th September 2008, 04:17 PM

nicedn is an unknown quantity at this point
回复: Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

I think Google should to buy my Chinese domain name 谷歌手机.com (google phone)and use it to develop the Chinese market, ha ha:D
Old 30th September 2008, 04:44 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road
Re: 回复: Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedn View Post
I think Google should to buy my Chinese domain name 谷歌手机.com (google phone)and use it to develop the Chinese market, ha ha:D
nicedn, you should stop buying tm names. idnf is not a place to sell tm names. multiple attempts to sell blatant tm names will get you banned.

Last edited by Ryu; 30th September 2008 at 05:25 PM..
Old 1st October 2008, 03:41 AM

nicedn is an unknown quantity at this point
回复: Re: 回复: Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
nicedn, you should stop buying tm names. idnf is not a place to sell tm names. multiple attempts to sell blatant tm names will get you banned.
OK,I know.Thank you for your suggestion. Ryu
Old 1st October 2008, 03:56 AM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No other phone today is quite like Gphone, which relatively is the closest to a PC in functionality.
Yep that's a pretty good quote. The difference escapes most people, after all the iPhone is a mobile computing platform just as capable. The real difference is that android is an OPEN computing environment. I can write 100 apps for the iPhone, but unless Apple approves them, only folks who jailbreak their phones can run them. It's hard to get them into the apple store, especially if they compete with an Apple application.

But you're going to see thousands of apps built for this platform. 95% of them will be crappy and lame. But there will be great ones too. The main point is that I will choose what to put on my phone. Alas, but they will never be as sexy as iPhones. But the "search" button is nice
Old 1st October 2008, 06:37 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: 回复: Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

Quote:
Or .. maybe they could just send 'the boys' round?
Old 1st October 2008, 06:38 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Google's G1 phone will kill-off the PC

Quote:
OK,I know.Thank you for your suggestion. Ryu
I somehow doubt it's a suggestion
Old 1st October 2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:

You are right, this may not work in America, probably because people there already have computers at home. However, in countries like India Gphone can be immensely useful to bridge the digital divide (leapfrog straight from GII to GIV). I clearly see SMS functionality of mobiles in India being run over in future by Google chat.
How is access to a viable network to get this phone up and running in India? (For the chat functions etc)
Old 1st October 2008, 09:23 PM

Should be OK I guess. That's why Google plans to introduce Gphone there in the coming year. The stakes clearly are HUGE there and they realize it well. They will probably try to make Gphone totally free after a while and charge through advertising. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
How is access to a viable network to get this phone up and running in India? (For the chat functions etc)
Old 1st October 2008, 11:00 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough
google phone in India

The stakes for phones in India are enormous...

remember SMS in India is not in English.....
People are SMSing in their native scripts throughout India and Pakistan...

mobi is not a pin drop for India...

dot IN, dot co dot IN, dot com and dot Net are likely to be the best names ...

And yes, many BBS's think Google wants to have free phones, with ads....

a company called Blyk is doing that model in the UK (and northern EU ?)...
they have xxx,xxx customers so far, ....the teen age/ <25 crowd....
Old 1st October 2008, 11:12 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: google phone in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
The stakes for phones in India are enormous...
"KOLKATA: With an average 1.5 billion SMSes generated nationally every week, the Indian SMS saga is already the stuff of legend. If anything, the marriage of reality TV shows and mobile telephony now promises to set the national SMS turf on fire."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2363976.cms
Old 6th October 2008, 01:14 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: google phone in India

Emulator: http://tmobile.modeaondemand.com/htc/g1/

Too bad the browser isn't working...
Old 6th October 2008, 12:01 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - this is an interesting addition to the possible Mobile PDA operating systems out there...

But remember guys, it is far from the first browser to support IDNs (Opera Mobile browser supported IDNs as "UTF-8" well over a year ago and works well).
Apple iphone also does this... but I have found typing input to not so easy to use, in the tests I ran on a friends one (so still not interested in owning one).

So presently we have 3 options for IDNs on PDAs:-
a) Window's Mobile 5 & 6 (with add-on for Asian languages) and Opera Browser,
b) Apple iphone with Safari Browser
c) HTC - G1 with googles browser.

So I am looking forward to users comments, given this is such a new operating system (but nice that in theory it is an open license software platform - to some degree anyway) - just wondering what windows mobile software out there it will support (if any).

Couple of links for those interested in the most recent phone using android operating system :-
http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/whats-hot/

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Although I love my PDA for browsing when out and about - screen size is just too small for serious work use ongoing - so it will never replace my laptop ...
Old 6th October 2008, 12:59 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay View Post
Although I love my PDA for browsing when out and about - screen size is just too small for serious work use ongoing - so it will never replace my laptop ...
Who knows as fast as technology is moving, in the not too distant future PDA manufacturers may be offering some type of lenses,
or maybe even eye implants of sorts (ie special contacts) to bring that screen right up to viewing size.