IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:00 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
New Report on Icann.org

Quote:
SSAC Releases Report on Alternative TLD Name Systems and Root Name Services
In this report, SSAC considers conditions and factors that could accelerate fragmentation, destabilize root name service and alter the existing name system management framework to a much greater degree than pure for-profit initiatives. We present a rudimentary classification of alternative root name server systems and alternative TLD name system administrators. For each class, we attempt to identify the stated or implied incentives for operating an alternative root name service and managing alternative TLDs. We describe the operational models and the technical mechanisms each class of operators employs to provide name resolution and registration services. We then consider the impact on Internet users and service providers (ISPs), domain name registrants, and registries that operate under agreements with ICANN.

http://icann.org/committees/security...rt-31mar06.pdf
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:50 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Report on Icann.org

Reading between the lines, I think the recommendation is for the DNAME, although this message is hidden. Anyone agrees?
Old 2nd April 2006, 01:06 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Reading between the lines, I think the recommendation is for the DNAME, although this message is hidden. Anyone agrees?
Yes I saw it this way exactly. Dname through and through. Although they still have to test both just to say they did it.
Old 2nd April 2006, 01:23 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Yes, I agree - though they also seemed to acknowledge that while individual corporate efforts were unlikely to succeed, they'd be powerless if other countries (I read "China" there, for example) decided to go it alone and split the root. So the biggest "danger" is likely to come, not from an ICANN sanctioned alternative to .com/net, but from some countries getting fed up and deciding they can do a better job themselves.
Old 2nd April 2006, 11:01 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

While the only thing we can do is to wait until ICANN completes the testing for both DNAME and NS, we probably should be voicing our opinions regarding policies. A small group of people at ICANN is working on developing IDN guidelines and I think that they might want to hear from the group that probably holds more than 50% of the registered IDNs. Nothing is official yet, so not to worry, just something to think about.

For example, I'd love to give my input on some of these points, as I think the language appears a little strong with respect to the existing IDN holders.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-tld.../msg00004.html
Old 2nd April 2006, 11:14 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

6. Existing registrants of romanized versions of strings should be given priority in the registration of all equivalent variants in non-ASCII tables.
It would lead to the foremost confusion if the owner of, say,“ liberte.com” would have to watch someone else register “liberté.com,” since after IDNs become common no French-speaking user would ever type that domain name without the accent. In that case, the existing “liberte.com” registration would become practically worthless, or even considered as a squatter to the new “liberté.com” registration. Also, this would not be respectful of any investment of time and money that individuals and companies might have made to promote their Internet presence. However, this principle should only involve equivalence as defined in principle 3 – that is, graphical equivalence. It should not involve homophonies or semantic equivalences – i.e. the owner of liberte.com should not get priority rights on domain names meaning “freedom” in other languages and scripts (nor on the same string under other TLDs).

xn--fraternit-j4a.net (fraternité.net): Available
xn--egalit-gva.net (egalité.net): Available

It would be pretty funny if the new owners of liberté.com like domains started suing the non-IDN domains for cybersquatting!

I'd like to see a case where the owner of an IDN domain sued an ascii domain owner for advertising their ascii domain as the non-ascii version!

These people had what, 5 years almost, to get the IDN for their beloved language.com or what. In many cases they didn't.

7. Global registries should be required to support all scripts.
If support for a given script would be left to pure market considerations, it is likely that minority scripts (seen on a global scale, i.e. also scripts which are maybe used by entire countries but that do not represent at this time a significant percentage of the global Internet users) would never be implemented in gTLDs. We think that all peoples of the world should be enabled to register domain names in their own script under global TLDs, and especially under gTLDs that hold a majority share of the gTLD market, such as .com .

That's right. Under .COM dnamed.

"While not much can be done about existing registrations"

This is why it PAYS TO GET IN THE GAME EARLY. Which we just did. But now, I think a few powerful people took notice and are trying to change the rules of the game. Which means: hurry and get those domains NOW.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 2nd April 2006 at 11:26 AM..