IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2008, 06:03 PM

Noemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How do you compare languages or price IDN's

Alot of my IDN's are hard to price, since all I have to compare is the same word in a different language. ie- books in german sold for low xx,xxx. What can I expect for "books" in a different language that is not as common as german? Is there a formula concerning # of speakers or population of the native country?

In the end, does it all go back to search results or type in traffic?

How do you price IDN's in languages that are less common?
Old 7th October 2008, 07:01 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you compare languages or price IDN's

You can't. The IDN market is too immature to get any standardisation in values. Also, there's just too many variables - search results, traffic, population/potential user market, dependence on IDNs, preference for certain extensions, economic growth - each valued differently by different people, mostly based on where they *expect* growth to take place in the future.

Jose has tried to attach a value to keywords in different languages at idn.bz [edit], which I'm sure you've already seen. It's all debatable though. In the end, the market determines value, and the IDN market is still largely hidden and composed of relatively few players. Hopefully that will change.

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs

Last edited by Jay; 8th October 2008 at 09:51 AM..
Old 7th October 2008, 07:07 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure you meant idn.bz

Old 7th October 2008, 11:55 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
I'm pretty sure you meant idn.bz
Thanks Alex, idn.bz almost a TM now

That's a very interesting question Noemi! And something I got to deal on idn.bz.

You see, idn.bz takes all domain terms as equal, except when it cames to language used. That's where I had to come out with a subjective factor, which I opened to discussion when launching the tool and still is open for discussion.

From the FAQ:
http://idn.bz/faq.html

What is the language factor made of?

It a subjective figure that takes into account two things: number of people speaking that language x IDN sales trends. For instance, there's no doubt Portuguese is a much more spoken language, but PT domains sale very badly.

This is what I come up with:

The minimum # search results a premium term should have (in order to be considered premium - this varies depending on the language) and the language factor.

Current values are, for the :
minimum # search results for a premium:

PT: 4.000.000
ES: 6.000.000
FR: 5.000.000
DE: 5.000.000
RU: 6.000.000
JP: 8.000.000
CN: 5.000.000
AR: 2.000.000
KO: 5.000.000
HE: 1.000.000

and, for the language factor:
PT: 6
ES: 8
FR: 7
DE: 10
RU: 7
JP: 10
CN: 9
AR: 8
KO: 9
HE: 5
(1 to 10; 10 is best)

Cheers! BTW, if anyone think those should be updated/corrected, let me know.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:19 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Very interesting algorithm you have there, Jose.

I'm curious about the language factors for Korean (9) and Russian (7). What exactly do you base those on? I know this is really a subjective factor, but I would have thought those numbers should be reversed. IMO
Old 8th October 2008, 12:36 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

1. Do you remember the Korean IDN mobile phone sale? Wasn't that the top IDN sale ever?
2. Have you tried looking for what's available yet on Korean IDNs? I have, on 2006! And believe me, nothing was free!

But maybe you're right and giving the recent geo Russian sales maybe move Russian factor a figure up to 8?!
Old 8th October 2008, 12:44 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
Very interesting algorithm you have there, Jose.

I'm curious about the language factors for Korean (9) and Russian (7). What exactly do you base those on? I know this is really a subjective factor, but I would have thought those numbers should be reversed. IMO
the Korean crazy idn sales........
Old 8th October 2008, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

You also have to factor in strength of local ccTLD.

com.br, with the registry operator automatically assigning the IDN to the owner of the equivalent ASCII, and peeing all over .com for trffic levels makes your estimates for Portuguese way to high, IMHO.

Arabic would be the opposite end of the spectrum, with the language spread over a number of ccTLDs.
Old 8th October 2008, 02:14 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

.ccTld is one thing. How about the ratio of .com vs .net for most popular languages? Any updates and recent development that might make the ratio different than standard ascii (10:1 is this right)?

Another factor is business interest in the term, which can be measure by number of ads and average ad amount. In case u want to factor it into your model

Interesting discussion.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:23 AM

kaay is an unknown quantity at this point
回复: How do you compare languages or price IDN's

The language which speaked by more persons is more valuable

……
Old 8th October 2008, 11:52 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: 回复: How do you compare languages or price IDN's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaay View Post
The language which speaked by more persons is more valuable
not quite - depends on the market and what businesses/end users in the country are willing to pay...
Old 8th October 2008, 03:20 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21
Re: 回复: How do you compare languages or price IDN's

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
not quite - depends on the market and what businesses/end users in the country are willing to pay...
and how easy it to monetize the language
Old 8th October 2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne View Post
How about the ratio of .com vs .net for most popular languages? Any updates and recent development that might make the ratio different than standard ascii (10:1 is this right)?
I myself think it's closer to 50:1 for ASCII.

Regionally it might change. Some people hate .com more than others.
Old 8th October 2008, 04:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, 50:1 is right if you are buying. If you are selling then 10:1 is already too cheap. :p
Old 8th October 2008, 05:24 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

You guys are making this way too complicated. I don't think this requires much analysis. Clearly the most valuable idns are identified when a seller types "premium" "most valuable" or "top tier" in the title of the thread.
Old 8th October 2008, 05:45 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
You guys are making this way too complicated. I don't think this requires much analysis. Clearly the most valuable idns are identified when a seller types "premium" "most valuable" or "top tier" in the title of the thread.
Agreed... I just wrote something up about this. If the seller thinks it's gold and people are interested in the domain, expect high prices. If the name is absolutely amazing but no one e-mails/seems interested and there's really "nothing" behind the name other than it being great (use sex.com hypothetically), could be worthless the seller and he sells cheap.
Old 8th October 2008, 06:37 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

There are other factors, including the rollout of idn.idn. If it happens in China and Russia first. Those IDN.coms will become more valuable as the rollout occurs.

Right now, we're seeing native Russians reg the .ws versions of names where all the other extensions have been regged except for .cn and .cc The native Russians have been filling in the gaps. Type in for Russian has surpassed other languages during the past 18 months.

As far as generic words like books.com, most of those names have been regged for at least 3 years, most since 2001. The value of these names is undetermined at this time. If the language is not popular, you may want to develop it push for traffic.
Old 8th October 2008, 06:45 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
There are other factors, including the rollout of idn.idn. If it happens in China and Russia first. Those IDN.coms will become more valuable as the rollout occurs.

Right now, we're seeing native Russians reg the .ws versions of names where all the other extensions have been regged except for .cn and .cc The native Russians have been filling in the gaps. Type in for Russian has surpassed other languages during the past 18 months.

As far as generic words like books.com, most of those names have been regged for at least 3 years, most since 2001. The value of these names is undetermined at this time. If the language is not popular, you may want to develop it push for traffic.

My friend, idn.idn already exists and works in china.

If we go by the number of ctld, .ws, .biz., .info registered, german and japanese will be the most valuable followed by Korean. The rest will be trailing behind.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:33 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring View Post
My friend, idn.idn already exists and works in china.

If we go by the number of ctld, .ws, .biz., .info registered, german and japanese will be the most valuable followed by Korean. The rest will be trailing behind.
idn.idn has not been formalized by ICANN, CNNIC has made it work but the literal registration of idn.idn in China is not hooked up yet. I could be wrong :p

As far as internet penetration, take a look at this chart, not sure how accurate it is, but it's true what you say about german, japanese and korean.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

*note: this chart is biased toward english.

And as penetration grows, the number of regs of cctlds and other extensions will increase.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Clearly the most valuable idns are identified when a seller types "premium" "most valuable" or "top tier" in the title of the thread.
You forgot "rare".