IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2006, 11:44 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Interview with DCG

There is an interview with Adam Dicker (AKA DCG) on the other forum. What I found the most interesting was this statement discussing IDNs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interviewer speaking to DCG:
You are openly one of these people and you have already claimed to have registered over 5,000 IDNs in the past couple of months.
Not sure what to make of that number. That's an awful lot of research. Care to confirm a ballpark figure, DCG? I wonder what this will do to the market. Many domainers obviously listen when he speaks.
Old 4th April 2006, 11:49 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Interview with DCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
There is an interview with Adam Dicker (AKA DCG) on the other forum. What I found the most interesting was this statement discussing IDNs:

Not sure what to make of that number. That's an awful lot of research. Care to confirm a ballpark figure, DCG? I wonder what this will do to the market. Many domainers obviously listen when he speaks.

Can you please provide us with the link to the Interview thanks
Old 4th April 2006, 11:51 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Interview link.

http://www.domainingblog.com/2006/04...f-dnforum.html

Yes, he has confirmed it. He does indeed own that many.
Old 5th April 2006, 12:07 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Interesting read, though the interviewer tone is too fawning and congratulatory - it got irritating after a few paragraphs.
Old 5th April 2006, 01:38 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if this guy is the famous JobCollect? Thats the name i find has one of the best portfolios. What name (s) or company name does he use to register if he is not jobcollect?

anyway i hope my 域名论坛.cn and ドメインフォーラム.jp will double beat the dn transactions of his forum in 3 years from now daydreaming right? well it doesnt hurt to give it a try ; ) Anyway IDNs trade will be huge in Asia, as more native end-users come aboard for the obvious reasons and advantages that represent IDNs for most Asian countries which handwritting is different. I dont see an english forum as the most important IDN domain forum, his forum will be a dn forum; an Asian domain forum will be the major IDN forum. Odds are his forum members will have to trade IDNs in an asian forum, not Asian people trading on his forum.

by the way, why do u guys think of these domains? 域名论坛.cn and ドメインフォーラム.jp i think is nice to have domain forum in chinese .cn and japanese .jp.

Last edited by idnceo; 5th April 2006 at 02:27 AM..
Old 5th April 2006, 02:29 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

DCG is not Job Collect. DCG's company and name are clearly displayed on the whois for domains he owns. At least the IDNs I've seen.
Old 5th April 2006, 03:37 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

He says he only parks or develops domains, and never sell them - i think that strategy is actually possible for generic idns - many sellers are still treating them as commodities like "hyped" gold and silver, when they are actually mechanical chickens that can lay golden eggs everyday.

I'm going to start spending some time on SEO, no point just registering non-stop.
Old 5th April 2006, 04:19 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I'm going to start spending some time on SEO, no point just registering non-stop.
Amen
Old 5th April 2006, 06:35 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm surprised he's ujp to 5,000
What market is he going in?
It can't be Japanese domains I usually check all whois of domains I look at free or taken & haven't ran across his company yet...
Think he's just concentrating on the Chinese market?

He got's the clout I'm glad he took the time to do the interview...

Love the way DMB put me & Dave's interview in there too...
Old 5th April 2006, 07:10 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Interview link.

http://www.domainingblog.com/2006/04...f-dnforum.html

Yes, he has confirmed it. He does indeed own that many.
I am stunned!. I honestly thougt we were talking about a couple of dozen.

Can DCG script for them do you think?

How the hell do you develop that number of domains in a foriegn language? I think I need to do my own interview!
Old 5th April 2006, 07:11 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I'm surprised he's ujp to 5,000
What market is he going in?
It can't be Japanese domains I usually check all whois of domains I look at free or taken & haven't ran across his company yet...
Think he's just concentrating on the Chinese market?
No, can't be Chinese. Probably Arabic?

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 5th April 2006, 07:33 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
No, can't be Chinese. Probably Arabic?
If he is scripting that would cause a few problems the Right to Left thing I mean!
Old 5th April 2006, 07:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
If he is scripting that would cause a few problems the Right to Left thing I mean!

Can't be Arabic, i've never seen DCG or DNF WHOIS info for Arabic - i always see the two Daves.
Old 5th April 2006, 07:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Can't be Arabic, i've never seen DCG or DNF WHOIS info for Arabic - i always see the two Daves.
I will stick my neck out here. I would guess Hindi.

I don't think Adam would get involved as an investment. If he has gone for it in a big way he will be after the Jackpot. Hindi was always the Joker in the pack and was still pretty much wide open! All you need was a good language resource. He might just of got hold of an Hindi keyboard and employed a native speaker.

Furthermore, I have had a constant string of traffic on Hindi from North American speculators, perhaps most of it have been from Adam's team.
Old 5th April 2006, 08:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I will stick my neck out here. I would guess Hindi.

I don't think Adam would get involved as an investment. If he has gone for it in a big way he will be after the Jackpot. Hindi was always the Joker in the pack and was still pretty much wide open! All you need was a good language resource. He might just of got hold of an Hindi keyboard and employed a native speaker.

Furthermore, I have had a constant string of traffic on Hindi from North American speculators, perhaps most of it have been from Adam's team.

That's the biggest likelihood, it will take just a few days to find a 5000+ hindi word list and register all of them wholesale - most will be available anyway. 5000 domains only cost 35k, just the cost of a single generic .com - Adam has so many to spare.

Last edited by touchring; 5th April 2006 at 08:20 AM..
Old 5th April 2006, 08:30 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We can guess but I'll respect his privacy
I don't think he went into the premium Japanese Domain route.
I would expect that he's going straight to country extensions also instead of the dot com route.
It's harder for you guys to find.
I guess if someone jumps in & dominates a market one of us are actively buying in you tend to think how but for the Japanese market the only names I keep seeing in the JP whois is Jeff. (& a few more)
Old 5th April 2006, 08:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
We can guess but I'll respect his privacy
I don't think he went into the premium Japanese Domain route.
I would expect that he's going straight to country extensions also instead of the dot com route.
It's harder for you guys to find.
I guess if someone jumps in & dominates a market one of us are actively buying in you tend to think how but for the Japanese market the only names I keep seeing in the JP whois is Jeff. (& a few more)
Not at all sure about that. You cannot sensibly get ccTLDs in except in China and Japan. The cost would be enourmous, at least $100K. Not only the availability into int he Japanese and Chinese ccTLDs is probably not significantly greater than with dot com. Furthermore, Adam has many times stated that if the dot Com he looking for is not available, he would just look for another dot Com. I don't think IDN will have greatly change his perspective on that!

Quote:
That's the biggest likelihood, it will take just a few days to find a 5000+ hindi word list and register all of them wholesale - most will be available anyway. 5000 domains only cost 35k, just the cost of a single generic .com - Adam has so many to spare.
It is interesting to note that interviewer is a known Hindi speaker. DCG could easily have furnished a list of 5,000 targets, and DB could easily have provided the translations. I am not saying thats what has happen, but sometimes strategic partnerships are the key to cracking unfamiliar markets.

Anyway, the means that has been used to obtain the lists for registrations, and the language is of little consequence. The point is someone with resources has put their money on the line and I for one wish them the very best of luck! Speculation requires courage and the rewards should be commensurate with the risk, which is always substantial.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 5th April 2006 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 5th April 2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

I ran across several of his domains last week - Farsi.
Old 5th April 2006, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I ran across several of his domains last week - Farsi.
Interesting but not surprising!
Old 5th April 2006, 12:17 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Interesting read, though the interviewer tone is too fawning and congratulatory - it got irritating after a few paragraphs.
No where in the interview does he say that he's got 5 000 IDN domains. It looks like it is simply more fawning.

A: AD – I have not sold any names I would consider high profile, I buy and never sell

So if you sell out cheap to this guy, you're going to know that it is not going back on the market.