IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2008, 06:09 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road
7,000 IDN.jp restaurant sites are newly alive now

Japanese corporation, Gourmet PIA Network, started its new venture named レストラン検索.jp [RestaurantSearch].jp. Under this program, information about approx. 7000 restaurants around the nation became newly available by their shop name IDN.jp.

This time, IDNs are not used for mere redirecting purposes. They are used as permanent addresses.

Last edited by Ryu; 25th October 2008 at 06:21 AM..
Old 25th October 2008, 06:23 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: 7,000 IDN.jp restaurant sites are newly alive now

Doesn't even register at Alexa. Which of course may say more about Alexa than IDN.jp
Old 25th October 2008, 06:29 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

This program started only a few days ago.
Old 25th October 2008, 06:32 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
This program started only a few days ago.
Yeah, but I still guess you will be flying under the Alexa Radar.
Old 25th October 2008, 06:37 AM

I never witnessed Japanese talking about Alexa. And I still don't have a good idea what the heck it really is.

Does it matter?
Old 25th October 2008, 06:39 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome news :D

Local development means that local businesses are getting IDN's...hopefully it won't be too long and the average Japanese will as well!
Old 25th October 2008, 06:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I never witnessed Japanese talking about Alexa. And I still don't have a good idea what the heck it really is.

Does it matter?
In the Real World no it doesn't. In Domainerland, it is the be and end all of everything.
Old 25th October 2008, 06:59 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I don't think too much emphasis should be placed on the Alexa rating at all. Its such a flawed and incomplete way of measuring any kind of popularity. One of my developed IDN sites has an Alexa rating of about 1,000,000. However, the site itself is top of Google and brings in about 2000 unique visitors each day !! From my point of view - I know which of the two sets of stats I am most interested in.

Great news about the developed site - that will definately create a lot of awareness about IDN.

Alex

Old 25th October 2008, 07:12 AM
Veteran

My point exactly, but if you can get most ASCII investors to even discuss IDN they almost always throw Alexa back in your face. They seem to live a World where, the sun is a Domino's Pizza, the Moon a McDonald's cheese burger, the sidewalks are bordered with ornamental gardens of Candy Baskets and the vistas are filled with lakes of Coca Cola. Mind you, you have to ask what kind of Widget People we are dealing with???

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
I don't think too much emphasis should be placed on the Alexa rating at all. Its such a flawed and incomplete way of measuring any kind of popularity. One of my developed IDN sites has an Alexa rating of about 1,000,000. However, the site itself is top of Google and brings in about 2000 unique visitors each day !! From my point of view - I know which of the two sets of stats I am most interested in.

Great news about the developed site - that will definately create a lot of awareness about IDN.

Alex
Old 25th October 2008, 07:19 AM

rofsjan is an unknown quantity at this pointrofsjan is an unknown quantity at this pointrofsjan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see a new developed site using IDN.
Old 25th October 2008, 07:19 AM

Ryu - my Google translator doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment. Would you mind verifying whether this site links to 7000 individual Japanese restaurant websites, or simply list 7000 restaurants with booking details, etc. It also appears there are coupons available for redemption as well?

Cheers
Old 25th October 2008, 07:20 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Japanese corporation, Gourmet PIA Network, started its new venture named レストラン検索.jp [RestaurantSearch].jp. Under this program, information about approx. 7000 restaurants around the nation became newly available by their shop name IDN.jp.

This time, IDNs are not used for mere redirecting purposes. They are used as permanent addresses.
Great news! Awareness of IDNs in general is increasing dramatically at this point.

RD - care to comment about the topic at hand? your tangents are getting repetitive.
Old 25th October 2008, 07:27 AM
Veteran

Well, I would have thought it was obvious that we need to establish a gauge by which we can measure the success of this venture, as the current measures are rather inadequate.

Whilst, we are on, how do American's spell gauge? Or is the spell checker as crap as I think it is? Is it the browser or the forum software that does the spelling checks?
Old 25th October 2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo View Post
Ryu - my Google translator doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment. Would you mind verifying whether this site links to 7000 individual Japanese restaurant websites, or simply list 7000 restaurants with booking details, etc. It also appears there are coupons available for redemption as well?

Cheers
I didn't really check in details. But I think most of these restaurants don't really have their own homepages. It's simply information pages under Gourmet PIA's restaurant portal that got separe IDN.jp domains.
Old 25th October 2008, 07:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I didn't really check in details. But I think most of these restaurants don't really have their own homepages. It's simply information pages under Gourmet PIA's restaurant portal that got separe IDN.jp domains.
That is very much the case, small Mom's and Pop's over here. It is not as though we would look up McDonald's on the Internet. Generally, you know where they are, you cannot miss them. Some local restaurants have their own sites, but it is always the same problem. Having a site is one thing. Having traffic to that site is a completely different problem. Those that have their own sites usually have many back links to this kind of directory site.

I don't believe the validity of this kind of business model is dependent on cultural context, so what works in the West will work in Japan. Of course the content and style of the site are very much about cultural context, so a site developed locally by a local business person is much more likely to be successful than a development by a western domainer.
Old 25th October 2008, 08:22 AM

Ryu - can you read this link and translate whether this is a discount coupon affiliated with the original site?

http://petamap.jp/rs/images/2c90b2b3...?size=ORIGINAL
Old 25th October 2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo View Post
Ryu - can you read this link and translate whether this is a discount coupon affiliated with the original site?

http://petamap.jp/rs/images/2c90b2b3...?size=ORIGINAL
It's a discount coupon for one of the many restaurants listed under the restaurant portal. It's issued by Gourmet PIA under the agreement with the restaurant.
Old 5th November 2008, 08:53 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this site from before it ever went IDN. I was about to post this news item, Ryu you beat me by several days!
Old 6th November 2008, 02:01 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

I clicked on the Shinjuku link on the front page...

which loaded :
http://レストラン検索.jp/psyllsearch/AC004/...AGENO=1&SORT=2

the first page of results have restaurants with their own long IDN dot JP's....

sample:
http://郷土料理ユック北の海道.jp

some type of Northern Japan cuisine ???

So it would seem that the database backend is using IDN dot jp's and not the punycodes .....very nice to see this also...

Steve
Old 6th November 2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
I know this site from before it ever went IDN. I was about to post this news item, Ryu you beat me by several days!
lol, i spend too much time researching about jdns...

on the side note, i checked whois of some of the restaurants sites and found that many if not all of those jdns were reigstered on 2005/01/26. And the registrar is Japan Registry Services JPDirect, run by JPRS.

instesting, don't you think? this is the power of idn.jp... you cannot expect the same from .com.