IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   Politics, Philosophy and Economics (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/politics-philosophy-and-economics/)
-   -   Make sure you have enough cash to renew until 2011 (at least) (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/19278-make-sure-you-have-enough-cash-to-renew-until-2011-at-least.html)

touchring 25th October 2008 10:19 AM

Make sure you have enough cash to renew until 2011 (at least)

I know a few of you have been doing this, i'm also doing this, raising cash by selling good names. I also know a few of you might need some reminder that names have to be renewed every year.

alexd 25th October 2008 10:24 AM

Re: Make sure you have enough cash to renew until 2011 (at least)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there anything specifically planned to happen in 2011 ??

Alex

yanni 25th October 2008 10:26 AM

We'll have full penetration by then :D

dnnames 25th October 2008 10:28 AM

Hahaha hopefully. It'll take at least that long. Remember to renew guys!

blackops 25th October 2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanni (Bericht 119954)

Ooh, vicar!

But, yes, it's a good point. It will take a while before the IDN market reaches anything like 'maturity'. We are now seeing some early bargains being had in .cn, particularly, for example <net>.cn at $7K. But the 'real' valuations aren't far away now.. :-)

touchring 25th October 2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexd (Bericht 119953)
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there anything specifically planned to happen in 2011 ??

Alex

I expect Microsoft to make IE7 upgrade compulsory by then.

Of course, you'll never know what Bill will do. He's getting senile, would rather firefox and chrome take away his marketshare then upgrade his dinosaur browser.

Spot on Yanni! lol

Rubber Duck 25th October 2008 11:09 AM

Well, yes everyone should do that but strategies will vary. If it takes anything like that amount of time, we will ditch some of the more mediocre stuff. A good deal of ours is already renewed into 2010 anyway. Selling a few along the way is an option that is always open, but the sooner you do that the lower the prices are likely to be, so it makes sense to have a reasonable buffer and hold your nerve.

Cut down your costs is another possible way to go. So, I have just received my delivery of thermal underwear. This should help reduce the gas bills.

Kidding actually, been freezing in the office where 80% of the people have been moved out, so it is a bit like an empty barn. Well you can imagine how keen management are to heat that space that used to be mainly heated by computers and people. Anyway, I got around to thinking about the problem and concluded that coldness is largely due to the metabolism shutting down because I am dieting, even though the weight isn't coming down as fast as I would like.

Anyway, my problem is that logically the colder you are the more calories you are losing, right? Well, no maybe things are not quite that simple. If you think about it air-conditioning is a lot more expensive than heating, so I am theorizing that metabolic rate might actually be raised by keeping warmer. Now that sounds like a win-win situation. It seems that at rest heart rate might be a key indicator of metabolic rate, so keeping the body warm and keeping the blood circulating might be a lot more effective then sitting around in the cold.

Tried doing some research on the Internet but drew a blank. All I could find was thermal suits for intense cardio-workouts. Like they are ever going to work! All that they will do is make you reach maximum heart rate at a lower work rates. But they do seem to have quite a bit of marketing money behind them so they should sell well. :)

Rubber Duck 25th October 2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanni (Bericht 119954)

At times it feels like we have been getting full penetration from a lot of different sources.

Each to his own, I guess, but I am not sure I like sex that much. :p

Miguel 25th October 2008 03:22 PM

It ain't a slow march.
The dn prices spiked precipitously in '98

touchring 25th October 2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel (Bericht 119977)
It ain't a slow march.
The dn prices spiked precipitously in '98

If you refer to the chart:

http://www.allaboutmarketresearch.com/internet.htm

The Internet user population exploded in 1998, in 1997, it was a pathetic 70 million (as compared to today's 1.4 billion).

The IDN market today, is at this stage:-

December, 1994 -> sorry, no stats on that chart.

bwhhisc 25th October 2008 03:32 PM

Seems to be growing by 50-75 million a quarter. Wonder how long it can keep that pace up. Do they publish a graph of this growth?

touchring 25th October 2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwhhisc (Bericht 119979)
Seems to be growing by 50-75 million a quarter. Wonder how long it can keep that pace up. Do they publish a graph of this growth?

i suspect it includes playing internet games at the cybercafe.

Drewbert 25th October 2008 05:42 PM

Obviously you want to pay your last renewal in 2011, because 2012 is when the world ends. No use wasting money on renewals to 2013 and beyond.

phio 25th October 2008 06:15 PM

I plan to be standing on one of the Mayan temples late December 2012. :)

By then the type-ins will cover renewals....

Rubber Duck 25th October 2008 06:23 PM

For those still looking to get in, it will come as a massive shock.

One day they will be sitting around on their pussy waiting for an opening. Next day prices will spike and it will be game over. Prices out of reach for the rest of eternity.

I you want proof of how unpredictable these things are, just ask all those who ridiculed my predictions about the Stock Markets.

bwhhisc 25th October 2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbert (Bericht 119985)
Obviously you want to pay your last renewal in 2011, because 2012 is when the world ends. No use wasting money on renewals to 2013 and beyond.

ROTFLMOL
IMO get yourself a year ahead on renewals and invest the rest in buying more IDNs while you can get them at reg fee
or deals thru other members that are selling.

Rubber Duck 25th October 2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwhhisc (Bericht 120002)
ROTFLMOL
IMO get yourself a year ahead on renewals and invest the rest in buying more IDNs while you can get them at reg fee
or deals thru other members that are selling.

Absolutely right. If your portfolio is not breaking even or sellable in 12 months, then time to re-evaluate. Some of you have registered a lot of crap. I guess we all did. I like to think I cleared out most of ours, but I guess we all make wrong calls sometimes. This year I just haven't had the time to go through everything again, so we just renewed the lot.

dnnames 25th October 2008 10:16 PM

I find it so difficult sifting through the names though. You have spent time and effort registering them in the first place, and it is so disheartening to have to decide that 5-10% of the portfolio is probably worthless, or would just break even. Sigh.

Asiaplay 26th October 2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck (Bericht 119962)
... Cut down your costs is another possible way to go. So, I have just received my delivery of thermal underwear. This should help reduce the gas bills..."

Cracking me up... now I know who must own the thermal underwear IDNs - lol
Does seem a shame to have to hide your g-string, for a few more IDNs though Rubberduck (umm guess why others in the forum live in Thailand perhaps)... haha ;)

Cheers - Asiaplay

Rubber Duck 26th October 2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asiaplay (Bericht 120038)
Cracking me up... now I know who must own the thermal underwear IDNs - lol
Does seem a shame to have to hide your g-string, for a few more IDNs though Rubberduck (umm guess why others in the forum live in Thailand perhaps)... haha ;)

Cheers - Asiaplay

Yeah, Thailand might be a neater solution.

Actually, my idea is to Spring and Autumn in Czech Republic, go back to my native Dorset in summer and winter in the Canaries.