IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2006, 11:23 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Microsoft responds!

IDN writes:
re: Layout Complete Announced at MIX06
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:36 PM by IDN
We need this piece of belated browser software out as soon as possible. The time to ship it is now. Don't wait another three months.

...and Microsoft responds:

IDN,

We will ship IE when it is done. We haven't even shipped the actual second Beta yet so it is a bit early to be calling for its release.

Besides, we have just as many people telling us that they don't care if they have to wait an extra six months as long as we add in <insert favorite feature here>.

Which group is the one that we should listen to?

Clearly, it is not cut and dry. We need to ship with our features at a high enough quality to have a good browser out there.

- Al Billings [MSFT]
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/03/23/559409.aspx
Old 5th April 2006, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Microsoft responds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
IDN writes:
re: Layout Complete Announced at MIX06
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:36 PM by IDN
We need this piece of belated browser software out as soon as possible. The time to ship it is now. Don't wait another three months.

...and Microsoft responds:

IDN,

We will ship IE when it is done. We haven't even shipped the actual second Beta yet so it is a bit early to be calling for its release.

Besides, we have just as many people telling us that they don't care if they have to wait an extra six months as long as we add in <insert favorite feature here>.

Which group is the one that we should listen to?

Clearly, it is not cut and dry. We need to ship with our features at a high enough quality to have a good browser out there.

- Al Billings [MSFT]
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/03/23/559409.aspx
Yes, I think what they are forgetting is the the last piece of horse sh*t they released onto the market at Beta 1 was five years ago. In software development that is about equivalent to the Triassic!

What the hell is wrong with 7.0 now and 7.1 in three months time with possibly other updates before they go for 8.0 to coincide with Vistas release about a year and half from now! If all they are worried about is that they will have totally rehash Vista again, I would suggest they don't worry their little heads about it. The IBM compatible will almost certainly be obscelete by then. It won't be Firefox they have to worry about because that won't have a platform to run on either!
Old 5th April 2006, 01:08 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I call upon Microsoft to release an update to the existing IE to support IDNs, now.
-> Quite unlikely. Btw, i use Win2k, so IE7 is out.

But again, i rather them fix existing bugs first before releasing - if they can't even fix bugs they know themselves, they would be overwhelmed once hackers start getting into security loopholes they can find after public release. IE is used in a lot of banking and corporate intranets, if bad news start to hit IE7 after it's launch, companies are going to hold back as what Edwin has said, and we end up with the XP situation - with many Win2ks still in use after so many years.

Last edited by touchring; 5th April 2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 5th April 2006, 01:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I call upon Microsoft to release an update to the existing IE to support IDNs, now.
-> Quite unlikely. Btw, i use Win2k, so IE7 is out.
I am XP Service Pack 2 but actually I am quite happy with Firefox 1.07. That is probably better than IE 7.0 will ever be! I have got it running on my sons computer now, but only becaue the hard drive failed and unless I did something it was back to IE 6.0.

Its about time though Microsoft got it into their heads that serve the IBM compatible software environment rather than own it!
Old 5th April 2006, 04:28 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
But again, i rather them fix existing bugs first before releasing - if they can't even fix bugs they know themselves, they would be overwhelmed once hackers start getting into security loopholes they can find after public release. IE is used in a lot of banking and corporate intranets, if bad news start to hit IE7 after it's launch, companies are going to hold back as what Edwin has said, and we end up with the XP situation - with many Win2ks still in use after so many years.
If without the help of hackers, how can Microsoft possibly improve their browsers? Bug fixing is not bad news, it's a sign of progress (if it's not a failure). How much can you expect from human mind? It took ICANN 5 years to finally figure out IDN's puny code, now they still wonder how they can get it to work with root servers.

It seems to me Microsoft is giving ICANN more time to work....

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@