IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Sales Report

IDN Sales Report Post sales of IDN domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2006, 09:25 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
weird...

Not idn really but a weird (to me) sale of Zuerich.jp on sedo for 2,200 euro!

So I had to check: zurich.jp taken,
but Zürich.jp (the correct idn term for both of the above) open.

So, I just regged my first two .jp domains today :o
Old 5th April 2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: weird...

>but a weird (to me) sale of Zuerich.jp

I think lots of Japanese have money invested there.
Old 5th April 2006, 10:01 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Cool Re: weird...

Do you believe they put a man on the moon? I just wonder how many of these "sales" are not real.

It's a commom practive on the stock market. It goes like this: You have Zürich.jp to sell. You "invest" $220 on the SEDO sell commision (20% I think) and have a Zuerich.jp $2200 sale to compare to now. You now sell your Zürich.jp for, say, $10.000 and profit $9780. Nice hem? It's called MarkUp's!
Old 5th April 2006, 10:10 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road

Could very well be as you point out.

But also consider there is a big travel site @ zurich.co.jp, nice ovt on チューリッヒ (50K), so it's posible the sale was real.

But who really knows nowdays...
Old 5th April 2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Actually, just thinking about it Yanni, if they're marketing Zurich to the Japanese, チューリッヒ wold be the term to go for. I doubt the Japanese would have easy access to the ü on their keyboards.

Zurich Insurance Co regged チューリッヒ.jp in 2004. チューリッヒ.com is with a speculator/developer.
Old 5th April 2006, 10:28 PM

Thanks Drew, I kinda knew that and I checked all the others.
I, nevertheless had to have it. You know how it goes

Also, ovt japan returns some (tiny) searches for zürich. Could be a bunch of Swiss businessmen in Japan.

Either way, I didn't reg the name hoping I would be contacted by the new owner of zuerich.jp, that's for sure.

I just had to reg the other .jp name I had in mind, and jp-domains has a "two-fer" special.

BTW,

Did you ever wonder what Greeks use for the term "it's all Greek to me"?

We, of course, say: it's Chinese to me

Last edited by yanni; 5th April 2006 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th April 2006, 05:38 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
So I had to check: zurich.jp taken,
but Zürich.jp (the correct idn term for both of the above) open.
Is Zürich.jp allowed? I think only Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana IDNs are OK in JP.
Old 18th April 2006, 08:01 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Is Zürich.jp allowed? I think only Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana IDNs are OK in JP.
i also ask the question, how come is that allowed? german in .jp domains? what the heck?! I dont know dabsi, u r an experienced domainer, but i really feel it is the weirdest thing to own german domain in .jp extension.
Old 18th April 2006, 08:05 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
i also ask the question, how come is that allowed? german in .jp domains? what the heck?! I dont know yanni, u r an experienced domainer, but i really feel it is the weirdest thing to own german domain in .jp extension.

Last edited by idnceo; 18th April 2006 at 08:09 PM..
Old 18th April 2006, 08:19 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

A lot of things were possible in the early days for .com's and .net's.
Maybe the same happen to .jp in the begining of IDN?!
Old 18th April 2006, 09:46 PM

Nope,

I thought I regged it and then I got a note from jp domains that it's not allowed.
Old 18th April 2006, 10:43 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
Nope,

I thought I regged it and then I got a note from jp domains that it's not allowed.
I'd say you saved your money on it. Zurich Financial is no doubt what accounts for the not so bad OVT http://www.zurich.co.jp/

The ascii domain from a generic point of view would be relatively unimportant going forward. And Japanese would not have a clue about how to form an umlaut on their keyboard.
Old 18th April 2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
And Japanese would not have a clue about how to form an umlaut on their keyboard.
I know; I was counting on the Swiss businessmen living/visiting Japan

As I mentioned earlier, it was one of those "have to have it even though it makes no business sense what-so-ever."

So I got greece.jp (in Japanese) with the credit, instead.