IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2006, 04:52 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Talking Portfolio's On the Rise ?

Okay looking for you guys overall view on how IDN portfolios will jump with the following scenarios.

1. Release of IE7 ( 1st Day Jumps ) ?

2. IE7 ( 6-12 months) most people have now ?

3. Parking, PPC Ad companys Meet our Needs

4. Vista Release ?

5. And the biggy IDN.IDN release announcement

6. IDN.IDN implemented ( DName )

YOu can leave percetnages , multiples , or however you depict a rise in our holdings

Last edited by thegenius1; 6th April 2006 at 05:18 PM..
Old 6th April 2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: Portfolio's On the Rise ?

Don't forget native language ads and parking pages. We can't develop all of our names.
Old 6th April 2006, 05:03 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Okay looking for you guys overall view on how IDN portfolios will jump with the following scenarios.

1. Release of IE7 ( 1st Day Jumps ) ?

2. IE7 ( 6-12 months) most people have now ?

3. Vista Release ?

4. And the biggy IDN.IDN release announcement

5. IDN.IDN implemented ( DName )

YOu can leave percetnages , multiples , or however you depict a rise in our holdings

I do not know if it's possible to quantify that "jump". I think many of us here do not realize that the world is still not aware of IDNs - at this moment, we are still trading within our own small "marketplace", million(s) population cities and prefectures are still traded at a couple hundreds to one or two thousand dollars.

The day the world discovered "IDNs", millions of dollars will start pouring into the market - governments will start to enquire whether they own their city/country names, CEOs of billion dollar companies will start asking their PAs if they own their own product names. Overnight, we would be asking mid-five figures for names we previously sell among ourselves for one or two thousand dollars.

All of us here will start to find ourselves in the same position as the first 500 Google employees with their million dollars stock options.

I hope you guys see the picture.

Last edited by touchring; 6th April 2006 at 05:14 PM..
Old 6th April 2006, 06:24 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Another important milestone, will be the first publicised sale of an IDN to an end user?

Does anyone know if this has happened yet? or on the immediate horizon? or many months away?
Old 6th April 2006, 06:37 PM
Veteran

Few end-users even know about idns - try asking people not in the domain industry, out of 100 people, how many of them know that it is possible to have multi-language domains.

Even for people in the domain industry, many still can't fully understand idns - whether they are a farce, let alone end users.

I had been working in the Internet industry (not domains, but applications) since 1998, but i've never heard of idns - i thought i was quite well informed since i have been reading CNET and Computerworld (today i know that what appears on these sites are not news, but very old news!) - until i encountered one of Dave's posts on DNF.

Last edited by touchring; 6th April 2006 at 06:49 PM..
Old 6th April 2006, 06:59 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Few end-users even know about idns - try asking people not in the domain industry, out of 100 people, how many of them know that it is possible to have multi-language domains.
I've talked to a few people in the last few weeks. Many are suprised that it was not possible to use their language for domain names before. In other words, people assumed that just like anything, they would be able to create domain names in their own language. I had to explain that this was a new thing and it wasn't possible before.
Old 6th April 2006, 07:11 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I had been working in the Internet industry since 1993 (*) and have heard of IDN's since 1999. However AND because I have invested before on tendencies that I thought would be great but turned out to be real flops, I didn't enter it till I heard what I have been waiting to hear ever since that time: that ie will *finally* support IDN's! And that was only on the beginning of this year.

(*) I have a blog on archive.org since they started archiving the net, that is very fun to read. Many years before the "blog" word was coined, lol.
Old 6th April 2006, 08:18 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alot of comments but nobody posted what Percetages they see each of these Events ]Boosting Our Portfolios
Old 6th April 2006, 11:13 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

For Japan it instantly skyrockets once a few make a couple of trendy IDN sites.
Doesn't matter if it's iMode or the web.
Japanese young folk will do whatever they have to do to get to new trendy things.
Old 6th April 2006, 11:19 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Does this assume that DNAME (IDN.IDN) is implemented?
Old 6th April 2006, 11:42 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Nope no relation.
People screaming that IDN.IDN is a must are a bit extreme (at least for Japan).
It's good. It's real Good.
IE7 would be enough really, & the mobile phone browsers.
Old 7th April 2006, 02:50 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Doesn't matter if it's iMode or the web.
Japanese young folk will do whatever they have to do to get to new trendy things.
I second that. As simple as that will be in Japan.
Old 7th April 2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
I second that. As simple as that will be in Japan.

I 3rd that and having been thinking this for sometime now....

Now for a recap, Only 200+ views and only 2-3 people Gave a Analaysis

Synopsis : When a few trendy ones Hit it Big , we are in the Mainstreem ,
When everybody catches on 5 figuire names overnight

My input on IE7 is the first day it goes live our portfolios multiply by atleast 10 +
Old 7th April 2006, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Yes, i'm still considering the market reaction when IE7 is publicly launched and whether to withdraw my domains from the market first and wait till that day.

I think newspapers around the world will be reporting on the features of IDNs, and IDNs will be "born". Microsoft will take the opportunity to boost about their new IE features, including IDN support.

Even the combined publicity IDNs received from 2000 to 2006 will be nothing compared to the single public launch of IE7.

Last edited by touchring; 7th April 2006 at 04:37 PM..