IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2006, 10:33 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
神風.net...Kamikaze!

神風.net
Kamikaze (divine wind)
xn--cjzu45d

I just registered this morning.

Low OVT and Google and a .net, but I felt it is a historically significant Japanese word. It is also a well known term worldwide.

Could make for some interesting branding possibilites?

What do you guys think?
Old 6th April 2006, 10:34 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: 神風.net...Kamikaze!

Edit.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 6th April 2006 at 10:46 PM..
Old 6th April 2006, 10:52 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Why would anyone dream of branding with that IN JAPANESE?? It's in poor taste to expect it, I believe.
Old 6th April 2006, 10:59 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Why would anyone dream of branding with that IN JAPANESE?? It's in poor taste to expect it, I believe.
神風 was the Japanese version of "suicide bomber".

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 6th April 2006 at 11:04 PM..
Old 6th April 2006, 11:52 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's why I said no Japanese company will ever use that to "brand" a product or service, and therefore why the domain has zero commercial value.
Old 7th April 2006, 12:29 AM

Whooops!

Sorry if I might have upset anyone with this. It was not intentional!

Point taken though with the cultural sensitivity. I really have little idea about the feelings of the average Japanese about WW2. Should've checked here first!

I don't condone war, and without getting into a philosophical rant about it, I just see the Kamikaze pilots as brave men who were only doing their duty to their beloved country. Like any other soldier really.

Oh well...too many WW2 matinee movies I guess!
Old 7th April 2006, 01:04 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

FROM WIKIPEDIA: The word "kamikaze" was never used by the Japanese during WWII; they used the pronunciation shinpū. The word was misread by American translators during the war, and the mistaken pronunciation stuck.

In the Japanese language, kamikaze (IPA: /kamikaze/) (Japanese:神風), usually translated as "Divine wind" (kami is the word for "god", "spirit", or "divinity"; and kaze for "wind"), came into being as the name of a legendary typhoon said to have saved Japan from a Mongol invasion fleet in 1281.

In Japan, the word kamikaze is used mainly to designate this typhoon.
Old 7th April 2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
FROM WIKIPEDIA: The word "kamikaze" was never used by the Japanese during WWII; they used the pronunciation shinpū. The word was misread by American translators during the war, and the mistaken pronunciation stuck.

In the Japanese language, kamikaze (IPA: /kamikaze/) (Japanese:神風), usually translated as "Divine wind" (kami is the word for "god", "spirit", or "divinity"; and kaze for "wind"), came into being as the name of a legendary typhoon said to have saved Japan from a Mongol invasion fleet in 1281.

In Japan, the word kamikaze is used mainly to designate this typhoon.
Yes, they did not use the word "kamikaze", they used "神風" -- shinpū.

Before the war, "神風" meant "Divine wind", a very regular word. During the war and after the war, when you mention "神風" people only remember the special meaning of it "suicide attack".

@
Old 7th April 2006, 01:33 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

This domain has value, and that is, among the black truck nationalist crowd, who I'm sure would be happy to put it to good use.
Old 7th April 2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
This domain has value, and that is, among the black truck nationalist crowd, who I'm sure would be happy to put it to good use.
Possible!

@
Old 7th April 2006, 02:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that's why I said no Japanese company will ever use that to "brand" a product or service, and therefore why the domain has zero commercial value.
Edwin, I'd like to see you tell these people, to their face, that this domain is worth zero.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 7th April 2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 7th April 2006, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Edwin, I'd like to see you tell these people, to their face, that this domain is worth zero.

http://美人.tv/16.mov
I regret reg'ing this now.

Like I said, I meant no offense to anyone here when I asked for opinions on it.

In fact, you guys have now educated me on the JP cultural significance of this term. In my ignorance, I thought it had a kinda retro/'romantic' feel to it.

It seems like it's more akin to registering NAZI.de

I apologise unreservedly to all.
Old 7th April 2006, 02:45 AM
Veteran

I'd also like to point out the manga/anime possibility with this name.

See for example: 神風STYLEonline http://www16.cds.ne.jp/~minagi/

http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/

http://japan.videoland.com.tw/channe...efault_002.asp

Here's a page about the wartime Kamikaze: http://www.geocities.jp/kamikazes_site_e/

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 7th April 2006 at 02:52 AM..
Old 7th April 2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
I'd also like to point out the manga/anime possibility with this name.

See for example: 神風STYLEonline http://www16.cds.ne.jp/~minagi/

http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/

http://hk.geocities.com/kkjpage/
Thank you for this.

There may be hope to redeem this after all!

BTW - There is some particularly beautiful artwork at http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/.

Very impressive!
Old 7th April 2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Could make for some interesting branding possibilites?
My comments were in relation to the above, and that's why I maintain that it has "no COMMERCIAL value" and why I spoke in relation to Japanese COMPANIES. Please re-read my posts.

That's enormously, massively different from "no OTHER TYPES OF value" - I am not making light of any of the significance behind the term itself, quite the opposite..
Old 7th April 2006, 05:33 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Thank you for this.

There may be hope to redeem this after all!

BTW - There is some particularly beautiful artwork at http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/.

Very impressive!

Dun worry, you can still get back your money. If you sell it for $7 on the forums, i'm sure someone will take it.
Old 7th April 2006, 05:47 AM

Quote:
My comments were in relation to the above, and that's why I maintain that it has "no COMMERCIAL value" and why I spoke in relation to Japanese COMPANIES. Please re-read my posts.

That's enormously, massively different from "no OTHER TYPES OF value" - I am not making light of any of the significance behind the term itself, quite the opposite..
Point taken Edwin.

I had a broader sense in mind than only Japanese companies when I said 'branding possibilities'

Blastfromthepasts suggestion of the Manga culture for a possible market is a step in the right direction.

Thankyou for your input!
Old 23rd February 2007, 05:33 PM
Veteran

I Go To Die For You

“I Go To Die For You”, set to be released in Japan in May, is something of a dream come true for 74-year-old nationalist writer-turned-politician Shintaro Ishihara, who waited years for financing to get his script produced.

Ishihara, widely tipped to win his third term as Tokyo governor in April, based the film on interviews with Tome Torihama, who ran a restaurant close to Chiran air base on the southernmost main island of Kyushu, where the young men were trained.

The kindly Torihama, played in the film by well-known actress Keiko Kishi, became a mother figure for many of the trainees, most of whom were still in their teens or early twenties when they were sent to their deaths.

Some entrusted her with farewell letters to be given to their families, while one promised to return to her restaurant as a firefly after his death.

“We can’t stop them from going. We can’t comfort them. All we can do is pray,” Torihama says in the film.

When she died in 1992, Ishihara called for Torihama to be publicly honoured, but the government spurned the idea, inspiring him to push ahead with a movie based on her memories.

“From her I heard the true voices of the ’special attack’ forces,” Ishihara says in a pamphlet issued with the film. “I want to leave a record of the beauty of the Japanese people who lived through brutal times.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2t_0LMXdg

Highlights from the trailer:

* A message from Ishihara at the beginning similar to the “record of beauty” statement in the Reuters article
* A young pilot asking an old woman (probably Torihara) that he will give her the 30 years of his life he won’t be able to live.
* A little boy asking his kamikaze pilot brother, “Big brother, if you die, will Japan win?”
* A statement by the old woman about how all the young men were spendid people
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:52 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife's great uncle was trained as such a pilot. It turned out that he never went on his mission, many of his comrades did. Today he is a successful artist and his themes are singular and abstract. Usually a blue or red horizon with a distant boat shape on the horizon or the shape of a lighthouse or the dark shape of a cliff against the blackness of the evening. It's compelling stuff because its simplicity is filled with an arresting guilt, longing, thankfulness, fear, relief, every possible emotion.
Old 23rd February 2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
My wife's great uncle was trained as such a pilot. It turned out that he never went on his mission, many of his comrades did. Today he is a successful artist and his themes are singular and abstract. Usually a blue or red horizon with a distant boat shape on the horizon or the shape of a lighthouse or the dark shape of a cliff against the blackness of the evening. It's compelling stuff because its simplicity is filled with an arresting guilt, longing, thankfulness, fear, relief, every possible emotion.
Thank you for sharing that Rhys.

I would appreciate seeing his work one day. Is there any pictures online somewhere?

I mix with men and women of similar experience daily, as I work in a hospital whose patients are predominantly WW2 veterans.

Many 'keep in' their experiences and emotions about those days, but every now and then they reveal things that can affect you deeply.

I looked after one man who was a member of the first occupying force to reach Nagasaki after that terrible day. He didn't say much, but his confession to me that at 76 years old he still awakes in the middle of the night on his floor, weeping and curled up like a little baby after his recurrent nightmares, is sobering to me.

And this is the pain of one man who went to war! How much pain caused by those times still have a ripple effect through lives and families even to this day, all across the world.

It still seems inconcievable to me that all the men who go to war to kill the men of another country are exctly the same - once little babies, nursed at the bosom of a mother who loved them. Helpless, defenseless, innocent.

Where do we go wrong...?