IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   Special Character IDN Domains (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/special-character-idn-domains/)
-   -   New Venture! l’amour.net (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2001-new-venture-l%E2%80%99amour-net.html)

thegenius1 8th April 2006 08:34 AM

New Venture! l’amour.net

l’amour.net = Love.net , l’amérique.com = America , l’assurance-vie.com = Life Insurance , l’art.com = Art.com , l’alsace.com , l’auvergne.com , l’aquitaine.com

We realize these names wont get any type in, but with the Right SEO they could be major cash cows :) ? Whats you guys opinions ?

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 09:18 AM

Re: New Venture! l’amour.net

A lot of English words with inappropriate accents make huge Google Scores at the moment. It is possilbe that these words can also currently be used to gain Search Ranking. The problem is that Google is constantly refining it Search Algorithms, so when it identifies an obvious abuses of the system it rewrites them to prevent such abuse. My guess it that these kinds of domains will never really be have any real worth, although you can sell some people anything.

dabsi 8th April 2006 12:27 PM

Currently in French,

Most typed IDNS are with accent aigu (é), acceptable is circonflexe (ê)
poor is with accent grave (à), and worst is apostrophe (l') .
This is based on the statistics of our portfolio.

As to the articles for the name, it is useless.

Just have a look on the portfolio shoen at www.lesnoms.com, none of the names have a chance to be sold

regards

DABSI

blastfromthepast 8th April 2006 01:31 PM

The problem is, Duck, that the accents are appropriate, and there is no other way to type them in, in fact using straight quotes ' is incorrect typography strictly speaking, so it is unlikely Google is going to change the fact that ' also searches ’.

I know on Windows it is not trivial to type in ’, but on the Mac, I do it every day.

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
The problem is, Duck, that the accents are appropriate, and there is no other way to type them in, in fact using straight quotes ' is incorrect typography strictly speaking, so it is unlikely Google is going to change the fact that ' also searches ’.

I know on Windows it is not trivial to type in ’, but on the Mac, I do it every day.

The bottom line is that if these combinations are a natural expression of the language and they are instinctively typed in then they they will eventually work whatever the technical difficulties. If they are seen as unnatural or contrived, then eventually they will be eliminated from search results and will be useless. Hope you get it sorted and make some money!

blastfromthepast 8th April 2006 01:42 PM

I understand your point.

It would seem to me, however, that the the French are accepting of articles in names:

http://www.lemonde.fr/

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

I understand your point.

It would seem to me, however, that the the French are accepting of articles in names:

http://www.lemonde.fr/

Yes, I would not find that at all surprising. In Arabic articles are almost welded to nouns. In English it is very natural to drop them. It French it may well not be. I dropped:

lemarché.com
lemarché.net

I think these are worth more than:

marché.com
marché .net

but I could be wrong. What would not make sense to me would be

lemarche.com

without the ecute e I cannot visual separate the words!

Rubber Duck

Edwin 8th April 2006 02:10 PM

It's somewhat misleading to represent "l’amour.net" as "love". Admittedly, it "means" love, but it has the extra article in there. The pure term "love" is "amour", NOT "l'amour".

John W 8th April 2006 02:22 PM

The articles are very definitely "closer" in French than they are in English, thought.

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin
It's somewhat misleading to represent "l’amour.net" as "love". Admittedly, it "means" love, but it has the extra article in there. The pure term "love" is "amour", NOT "l'amour".

No, I think you are wrong on this and French is language that I am familiar with. Most people woulld translate Love as L'Amour. Certainly "the love" sounds very clumsy as a substitute for "l'amour". As a translation, is not much better than transliteration.

Edwin 8th April 2006 02:43 PM

I know it translates as "love" - I went to a French-speaking school for nearly 10 years, so I should know! But what I'm saying is that if you take a step back you'll see that it's one of the (many) cases where a straight translation doesn't tell the whole story.

It would be more accurate from a valuation perspective to say it means "the love" even though that's not the translation. Otherwise, how do you productively distinguish between "amour.com" and "lamour.com"/"l'amour.com" - the former is going to be worth many, many, many times the latter, yet they both "mean" love.

Perhaps saying "the domain means 'love' and has an article in front of it", while longwinded, would be most accurate...

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 02:52 PM

Edwin,

Well, the relative value of the domains is a matter of conjecture which really is going to rely to some extent on the technical implementation.

From a branding/marketing perspective, I would prefer to have l'amour.com, but that is not actually very useful if it the inputting is convoluted.

I am utterly convinced that many terms in both French and Arabic will be worth more with the article included. You cannot necessarily transfer all the accepted norms from the US market and impose them on other cultures. Its all down to what people will accept and use.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin
I know it translates as "love" - I went to a French-speaking school for nearly 10 years, so I should know! But what I'm saying is that if you take a step back you'll see that it's one of the (many) cases where a straight translation doesn't tell the whole story.

It would be more accurate from a valuation perspective to say it means "the love" even though that's not the translation. Otherwise, how do you productively distinguish between "amour.com" and "lamour.com"/"l'amour.com" - the former is going to be worth many, many, many times the latter, yet they both "mean" love.

Perhaps saying "the domain means 'love' and has an article in front of it", while longwinded, would be most accurate...

jose 8th April 2006 03:24 PM

l’amour is indeed closer to love than amour only, if you're refering to the sentiment itself (as a name) and not the sentiment of feeling it (as a verb).

However, what's that " ’ "?!?!?
I don't see it on my keyboard. I have ' and ` or ´, but not that...

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose
l’amour is indeed closer to love than amour only, if you're refering to the sentiment itself (as a name) and not the sentiment of feeling it (as a verb).

However, what's that " ’ "?!?!?
I don't see it on my keyboard. I have ' and ` or ´, but not that...

Well the sentiment of feeling would be aimer or aime.

Yes, and that is where the problem lies. If the normal apostrophe is not permitted then it all goes pear-shaped. Such complications would appear not to exist in Arabic, as Arabic seems to have its own special characters, due to the fact that it is written right to left!

blastfromthepast 8th April 2006 03:48 PM

The solution is to register two domains.

One for ease of typing, the second for perfect display.

http://l-Europe.com/
http://l’Europe.com/

L-Europe will forward to l’Europe. Of course this is clumsy, but there is no other way to register l’Europe that is correct.

Note: The idea behind these registrations was mine, I let genius in on it last week and he got the .nets. :)

There are precedents for this. http://l-hotel.com/ and I regret to say, http://l-amour.com/ was taken by someone else.

So, if you do get these kinds of domains, make sure you get the - version as well.

Rubber Duck 8th April 2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

The solution is to register two domains.

One for ease of typing, the second for perfect display.

http://l-Europe.com/
http://l’Europe.com/

L-Europe will forward to l’Europe. Of course this is clumsy, but there is no other way to register l’Europe that is correct.

Note: The idea behind these registrations was mine, I let genius in on it last week and he got the .nets. :)

No, the real answer is if some of the browser get clever and identify illegal characters and then automatically make the necessary transformations before the punycode is compiled. Could happen, but if you are waiting for Microsoft, then I would get yourself embalmed first! But hey! What is the public consultation period about? Get stuck in!

blastfromthepast 8th April 2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
No, the real answer is if some of the browser get clever and identify illegal characters and then automatically make the necessary transformations before the punycode is compiled. Could happen, but if you are waiting for Microsoft, then I would get yourself embalmed first! But hey! What is the public consultation period about? Get stuck in!

By default, Microsoft Word automatically changes straight quotation marks ( ' or " ) to curly (smart or typographer’s) quotes as you type.

So should IE.

This is in the wrong forum by the way, since these aren't special charater domains, but rather, a demonstration of a semi-successfull implementation of European language Latin domains.

thegenius1 8th April 2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

By default, Microsoft Word automatically changes straight quotation marks ( ' or " ) to curly (smart or typographer’s) quotes as you type.

So should IE.

This is in the wrong forum by the way, since these aren't special charater domains, but rather, a demonstration of a semi-successfull implementation of European language Latin domains.

Thats awesome so if that occurs with IE7 cha-ching!! , They will get typins ;)

blastfromthepast 8th April 2006 06:04 PM

We need to submit this as a bug/feature request on the IE7 blog.

IDNCowboy 8th April 2006 07:02 PM

The name is good for branding

but you never can disagree with dave as he thinks he knows more than native language speakers! (or people who have taken the language for years)... I'm not just talking about this thread but other threads on IDNF as well. The number of domains you hold does not mean all of a sudden you have a PhD in the subject.