View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:38 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
re: Microsoft software blocks Symbol Domains

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
I think symbol domains are a great idea. That's why I tried to get as many as I could. Most of them, however, I dropped on learning of IDNA2008.

Symbols which carry deep meaning are especially important internationally, since unlike languages, they can be trully universally understood. In this, they rival any and all English languagea ascii domains.

The decision on the part of ICANN to exclude this part of the Unicode repertior of characters from domain names is wrong minded and seeks to protect "entrenched language communities" rather than moving forward.

I'd much rather register ☎.com than have to register 100 different "telephone" domains in different languages. This example, by the way, is typable in Japanese, just like the characters for 電話 are.

You can have an extended conversation with someone in Emoji and not speak their language, and Emoji, by the way, can be typed without knowing any language at all, and is available on most phones these days.
Might be good to learn something about the subject before launching such a long plea .... ICANN had nothing to do with the "decision".