IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 9th April 2006, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 528
idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

I know im a hardcore believer of .jp but i worry i can be wrong, so here is what im doing...lately I have been trying to check many websites to see which ones are using IDNs and at the same time to see which companies registered idn.com and idn.jp , so we can venture to guess a little which ones we will be seeing in the years to come.

What i see is again many companies took idn.jp , leaving the .com free to be taken, why? i dont know but i already check more than 100 big companies doing this. My guess again in a few years we will be seeing these famous companies using IDN.jp , because they got more money to invest on publicity of their IDN.jp url ; or i dont know if they were short-sighted and they will now have to buy the .com from the guys who took them, who knows...

Im not gonna give now many examples because many .com of famous japanese companies are taken by several members. But im gonna use at least these ones, i double checked the whois to verify wasnt taken by a member. If u own the .com of these companies, im sorry, i didnt mean anything. but really many guys took so many japanese companies, amazing...

ソニー.jp
sony.co.jp
Registered on 2001, .com was taken on 2005 by X person

http://www.味の素.jp
http://www.ajinomoto.co.jp
Registered on 2001, was .com taken on 2005 by X person

松下電器産業.jp and パナソニック.jp
panasonic.co.jp
Registered on 2001; 松下電器産業.com was taken on 2006 by X person and パナソニック.com taken on 2005 by X person

アサヒビール.jp
asahibeer.co.jp
Registered on 2001, .com was taken on 2005 by X person

富士通.jp
fujitsu.jp
Registered on 2001, .com taken on 2004 by X person

By the way, i find these famous companies are already using their IDN.jp, not just forwarding to their .co.jp This is good news.

http://明治製菓.jp very famous candy company using IDN.jp
http://www.meiji.co.jp/

http://日経.jp newspaper
http://www.nikkei.co.jp/

http://フジテレビ.jp tv channel
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 9th April 2006, 07:33 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2676
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Japanese companies think that Japanese is spoken only in Japan, so they assume that .com is for English only.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 9th April 2006, 10:44 PM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Sorry I think both are incorrect.
I've said it & I'll say it again.
jp and com both have a chance
Japan Registry who sends out the Press Releases
They actually were GIVING AWAY IDN dot jps a few years ago
It helps promote them.
They don't make a dime by promoting IDN dot coms
Japan had no choice but to use the dot jp extension all the dot coms are gone.
That's why there's restriction to having to have a Japanese address.

One's who develop sites control the playing field.
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10th April 2006, 01:08 AM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 702
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
I know im a hardcore believer of .jp but i worry i can be wrong, so here is what im doing...lately I have been trying to check many websites to see which ones are using IDNs and at the same time to see which companies registered idn.com and idn.jp , so we can venture to guess a little which ones we will be seeing in the years to come.

What i see is again many companies took idn.jp , leaving the .com free to be taken, why? i dont know but i already check more than 100 big companies doing this. My guess again in a few years we will be seeing these famous companies using IDN.jp , because they got more money to invest on publicity of their IDN.jp url ; or i dont know if they were short-sighted and they will now have to buy the .com from the guys who took them, who knows...

Im not gonna give now many examples because many .com of famous japanese companies are taken by several members. But im gonna use at least these ones, i double checked the whois to verify wasnt taken by a member. If u own the .com of these companies, im sorry, i didnt mean anything. but really many guys took so many japanese companies, amazing...
This is good work idnceo. I too have been surprised at the number of japanese companies who have acquired and are already using their .jp. Olney is right in that both have a chance but I think that the momentum out of the gate will overwhelmingly be .jp because the corporate money will be spent here and same for JPRS spending money to promote .jp.

I think that .com will continue to be used and important but I think it is difficult to overcome all the corporate IDN .jp that will be available when IE 7 is released. Japanese will associate .jp with their internet experience more and more and it will become the default for most things.

If readers think I must be biased because I am mostly invested in .jp think again. I have far more .com and .net than .jp due to the cost differential. Although quality of words is higher in my .jp portfolio I would say.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10th April 2006, 01:48 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2676
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Is there a Japanese domaining magazine (real, on paper)?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 10th April 2006 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10th April 2006, 02:14 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1245
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Here's one for the .com crowd:

比較.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10th April 2006, 02:23 AM
sarcle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,717
iTrader: (22)
Rep Power: 1726
sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Japanese Overture Results.

Top .jp Overture

41,150 萌え jp
6,188 楽天 co jp

Top .com Overture

1,010,688 価格 com
29,287 比較 com
12,961 ヨドバシ com
10,331 エッチ 動画 com
9,976 名前 com



There are much more for the .com. Both will be big but people are already looking more for .com
__________________
I can hear the death rattle of fiat from here...

Last edited by sarcle; 10th April 2006 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10th April 2006, 04:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 528
idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
There are much more for the .com. Both will be big but people are already looking more for .com
I think people search for the .com more because they already know the japanese company is co.jp or .jp

Anyway i just wanted to show that many companies have already their idn.jp, some are already using it, some forwarding to their ascii .co.jp and some got their idn.jp dormant. 価格.com is famous because u cant barely compare that to the side of sony, tv stations, train lines, banks, car companies, electronics producers, department stores, schools, hotel chains, beer and food companies, etc who got only their IDN.jp using it or ready to be exploited. Try to sum them up, and you will get 90% of the ads on prime television next year. And dont think they "forgot" the idn.com , some companies like toshiba.co.jp did register idn.com and idn.jp, but the point is very few went for company idn.com on 2001. Lack of vision?

Anyway im not trying to discuss, i just wanted to share what i find.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11th April 2006, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 528
idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

I see Olney that maybe you are changing your mind or watching your back, because just today i already saw 3 .jp owned by you just taken this month. by the way, i think you really like every domain about pets.

Last edited by idnceo; 11th April 2006 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 30th May 2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,838
iTrader: (43)
Rep Power: 1592
markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

What I read here is that most Japanese companies/TM brands prefer to use .jp for their websites, and .jp here merely means Japanese Web Address to them. Most of these sites are not web/online businesses.

Generic online businesses still prefer .com and the .com represents (web) Commercial to Japanese. I don't think the .com to Japanese is meaning "international" at all.

I conclude that Non-TM, generic keyword dot coms will have higher value and recognition to Japanese eCommerce operators (end users).
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2006, 02:59 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 702
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
What I read here is that most Japanese companies/TM brands prefer to use .jp for their websites, and .jp here merely means Japanese Web Address to them. Most of these sites are not web/online businesses.

Generic online businesses still prefer .com and the .com represents (web) Commercial to Japanese. I don't think the .com to Japanese is meaning "international" at all.

I conclude that Non-TM, generic keyword dot coms will have higher value and recognition to Japanese eCommerce operators (end users).
No, I would pretty much say that the Japanese will recognize .jp as more valuable than .com though both will have value here over time. The ccTLD in the case of japan will be the ext of choice and there will be no demarcation based on whether it is a "generic" business or one with a "trademark". As much as some of us would find it more convenient if it were so.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2006, 04:13 PM
thegenius1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IDNaffiliates.com - IDNebook.com
Posts: 3,928
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 976
thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Japanese companies 2007 IDN.jp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Sorry I think both are incorrect.
I've said it & I'll say it again.
jp and com both have a chance
Japan Registry who sends out the Press Releases
They actually were GIVING AWAY IDN dot jps a few years ago
It helps promote them.
They don't make a dime by promoting IDN dot coms
Japan had no choice but to use the dot jp extension all the dot coms are gone.
That's why there's restriction to having to have a Japanese address.

One's who develop sites control the playing field.
Exactly , And Like Duck says why debate over a width of a smile ..... I will add the Japanese real estate companies are using .com
__________________
ウェブサイト.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54