IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2005, 03:50 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
.net and .cn taken up

I noticed that many of my generic terms registered a few months ago in .com now have extensions in .cn and .net taken. Given the relative expense of .cn, this is a great sign.

Anyone else see the same?
Old 14th December 2005, 04:37 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: .net and .cn taken up

Are you just referring to China?
Old 14th December 2005, 05:06 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Are you just referring to China?
Yes. It was just an anecdotal observation about accelerating interest and take-up of Chinese .net and .cn.
Old 14th December 2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Weren't a lot of names blocked from registration due to variant-overlap ?
Also I thought that some of the keywords were blocked to prevent speculation ?
Old 14th December 2005, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Weren't a lot of names blocked from registration due to variant-overlap ?
Also I thought that some of the keywords were blocked to prevent speculation ?
Yes, variant overlap blocking has now been introduced, but many of our registrations predate that. We are dropping Traditional Chinese, where we have the simplified as the drop will be blocked as we should still have the rights over it.

When searching for domains the block will not be aparrent on dot coms and dot nets until you actually place your order. It then gets kicked back. Not sure for dot cn.

There were not any domains that to my knowledge that were blocked to prevent speculation at the Verisign Registries. The Chinese reserver various names for certain reasons, but not specifically to my knowledge to prevent speculation.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 14th December 2005, 04:06 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a way to register the traditional version if one owns the simplified version - currently, i think this is impossible.
Old 14th December 2005, 04:14 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Is there a way to register the traditional version if one owns the simplified version - currently, i think this is impossible.
No at the moment it is blocked, if the characters map. I think it is envisaged from comments made on the Verisign site to introduce a system whereby the owner of one can unblock the other, but it hasn't been implemented and I have no idea how long it will take.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 14th December 2005, 04:32 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Quote:
No at the moment it is blocked, if the characters map. I think it is envisaged from comments made on the Verisign site to introduce a system whereby the owner of one can unblock the other, but it hasn't been implemented and I have no idea how long it will take.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
By 'unblock' do you mean register? Or swap?
Old 14th December 2005, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Quote:

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
By 'unblock' do you mean register? Or swap?
Not really sure how it would work, but I guess if you have one then you could register the other. If you wanted to swap then you would probably do this first and then drop the original name.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon