IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
IDN Rating System Floundering

It seems that not many people are interested in rating IDNs using the new ratings system. I thought this new system was supposed to make it easier for folks to just give a quick vote so people could get a feeling for the value of their names. But folks don't seem to want to vote.

I think the poster should include all the relevent data - like Ovt, Google results, translations, language,etc. - to make the job easy (and fast) for people to rate. I think we all should make an effort to keep this system going. It shouldn't take more than a minute for people to scan the data and decide on a rating.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:20 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN Rating System Floundering

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
It seems that not many people are interested in rating IDNs using the new ratings system. I thought this new system was supposed to make it easier for folks to just give a quick vote so people could get a feeling for the value of their names. But folks don't seem to want to vote.

I think the poster should include all the relevent data - like Ovt, Google results, translations, language,etc. - to make the job easy (and fast) for people to rate. I think we all should make an effort to keep this system going. It shouldn't take more than a minute for people to scan the data and decide on a rating.
im with you, not because i just put an idn on appraisal but because sometimes i feel im of the few people who vote on the appraissals rating system.

I think the idea is a nice, but it could only work if everyone contributes with a few seconds of their time to vote peoples idns.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:39 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It seems that not many people are interested in rating IDNs using the new ratings system.
I don't think a "rating system" is of much use. The quality of a domain name speaks for itself.

I don't know how the value of non-dot-com extensions will be perceived outside of the United States, but generally, dot-coms preferred by far.

I think .nets are worth somewhere between 5 to 20 percent of dot-coms. I don't care for .TV and I don't see much value in them, although I know they could develop into something bigger in the years ahead - but I don't believe in them enough to register any - not in English, much less IDNs.

From what I've seen, the highest value IDNs, (IN TODAY'S MARKET), seem to be German .de IDNs (none of which I own). But I think that could shift to Japanese and/or Chinese. I'm most confident of Japanese IDNs. And I worry about how the Chinese government will control their country's access to the Internet.

After Japanese and Chinese, I think Korean and Russian names would be the next best ones (none of which I own). Beyond that, I wouldn't own any Arabic, Indian, Thai, etc. IDNs - but that's my own preference and (limited) perspective as an American, and I realize that quality IDNs in those languages could be valuable if they become popular.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

A lot of us are fluent enough in any non-English language for our votes to hold any weight!

I might be able to contribute to the occassional Spanish valuation, but even then anyone taking my openion with more than a grain of salt is risking it.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:45 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The reason is because most of the domains for appraisal are not really fantastic - mostly compound words or less valuable terms - and we would not want to offend fellow forumers by putting a less than expected rating, so the best strategy is not to rate.

Giant has some very generic Chinese name, maybe he can kick off by putting a few of his best ones.

Last edited by touchring; 12th April 2006 at 06:53 PM..
Old 12th April 2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I'm sure many of us are not fluent in most of the languages that we speculate in but I think we have enough experience to know what Ovt ranges are decent and how many Google results are good.

These appraisals really are not for us though. They are for the new folks who are starting out with IDNs and trying to get a feeling for what they have. How many times do we see business.com or music.com (in English) listed for appraisal at other forums? Never... because the people that own these domains don't need advice or appraisals. But the newbies who want to get into IDNs do need that advice.

We need to maintain the momentum of adding new members and getting more people interested in IDNs if we want this forum to grow. I think appraisals are one way to encourage new members to join and continue.

However, one thing I hate about appraisals at other forums is that I usually have to look up Ovt or Google results myself. Here it is even worse - language, translation, Ovt, Google, bids - I can understand why many of us would not appraise a domain if the owner left this information out. I think all members seeking appraisals should include this information if they expect us to rate their domains. If they do I'm willing to spend 20 seconds contemplating a ranking.