View Single Post
Old 16th December 2012, 05:33 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Re: Thai Goverment Free Wifi service will cover 80% of the country by next year

I can understand WOT's TIT (This is Thailand) sentiment. Things don't always happen as quickly as planned. This free wi-fi coverage throughout most of Thailand will not be perfect and will most likely be quite slow comparatively during high usage time. As imperfect as it might be, free wifi access is better than no free access for many Thais. I still remember using a slow dial-up modem in Thailand ages ago when it first got launched in Thailand, it was painful but gradually the speed got upgraded and then so called high speed 256 kb/sec was launched. It was a significant improvement but still nowhere near the developed world but after a while we got the speed upto 1 Mb/sec, then 10 Mb/sec.

Bottomline is Thailand is still a developing country and progress is better than no progress. Although slower than expected, I think things are heading towards the right direction. Even international bandwidth has improved significantly during the past few years.

For what it is worth, here is some info from Wiki:

"As of November 2009, Thailand had a total international Internet bandwidth of 106,787 Mbit/s. Thailand domestic Internet bandwidth was significantly higher at 607,526 Mbit/s.[5] This is because of an increase in provision of local contents. Internet users in Thailand usually get maximum speed of their connection to content providers within Thailand with very minimal ping of 5-50ms but a speed of 70% or less for international connection with higher pings of 70-400ms.

The amount of international bandwidth has recently increased dramatically due to the popularity of social networking services such as YouTube, Hi5, Twitter, Facebook and increased number of broadband Internet subscribers."

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Thailand