IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2009, 07:36 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Which would you keep ?? .biz or .ws

Hi guys

I have a domain name in both the .ws and .biz extension. The name was purchased for development - not for resale. The .com, .net. etc were all registered.

I regged the .ws about a year ago - its up for renewal soon.
I regged the .biz a few months ago when it became available.

Do I renew the .ws or drop it ??
Is .biz a better alternative ??

What would you guys do ?? Keep both, drop the .ws or .biz ??

Any feedback on this would be most welcome.

Thanks

Alex

Old 26th January 2009, 08:27 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Which would you keep ?? .biz or .ws

I'd go with biz.
Old 26th January 2009, 08:45 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

The question is a bit confused. If it is for development, why would you want to keep both? Keep the one you will develop, drop the other. As for which one, again, if it is for development, it really doesn't matter much.
Old 26th January 2009, 10:34 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
The question is a bit confused. If it is for development, why would you want to keep both? Keep the one you will develop, drop the other. As for which one, again, if it is for development, it really doesn't matter much.
I get what you are saying here.

I don't like .ws that much at all, though I also have a strange dislike to .biz as well.
If you were to develop a site and operate it on one of the two extensions, which would you use ??
.biz is more recognised I guess, but I still relate it to spam sites.
.ws is probably unheard of outside of domaining circles, so would that play a role in the minds of non-domainers ??

Alex

Old 26th January 2009, 10:41 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a good question - one I also ponder from time to time... (and becomes more important as / when the IDN market heats up more).

My personal feelings are....

If it is a very high searches IDN or the potential exists for development to be easily copied, I would personally keep the .ws as well.

If seriously developing a term (and I can cheaply) - I will buy up all the extensions for a keyword IDN (ccTLD and gTLD).
In fact for many of the keywords I own, I have them in 3 or more extensions - logic is this enables me to truly "brand" an IDN and/or stop others from owning a / the same size "piece" of an industry as I do e.g. if you own all auto parts high ranked keywords... then no one else can beat you backlink wise... it would be equivilant to buying up all auto parts shops in a country or language
(also remember it is near impossible to trademark protect KW domains otherwise).

Saying this - only very top level IDNs do I also bother buying the .ws for (due to cost of registering them and chances that someone will go through and pick them all up at the moment is very low i.e. I will pick them up later when development is proven the cost of doing so is worth it and/or when I see the IDN market get very active).

Some questions that I would ask myself when deciding this are:-
a) what is cost of development (i.e. $ spending and potential earnings overall, that you are putting at risk)
b) what is risk of someone developing the .ws in same way you are developing the .biz (if risk / potential loss is higher than registration for it - then hold onto it also)?
c) is development earnings stream unique (e.g. do you have the only affiliate rights / method to make money from a KW IDN and no other possible earnings stream exists for any competitor)?
d) what are the chances someone else will pick up and develop the .ws?

Really holding the .ws I see as only insurance, so as to block potential loss in earnings (i.e. a control the number of possible competitors).

I would use .biz over .ws (as if IDN.IDN ever happens, business is better than western samoa!)

Hope comments are useful - cheers, Asiaplay

PS: logic also is that I think very few people will develop a .ws, while the other extensions have not been developed and are "available" in the after-market (exceptions exist of course for high powered IDNs)... lastly .cc is really the same question as .ws for most markets.

Last edited by Asiaplay; 26th January 2009 at 10:56 AM..
Old 26th January 2009, 04:48 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

.ws