View Single Post
Old 4th February 2013, 01:48 AM

oldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished roadoldguy is on a distinguished road
If you were me - please advise on this Russian IDN

A Fortune 500 company has been shipping their product to Russia for years using the Russian version of their company name printed on the box - they clearly value that name although they are based in the USA.

If you search Yandex for the keyword, the first page is full of listings of a popular sports personality that has the same name. The company is listed on page 2.

There's also a Russian flooring manufacturer that uses the same name.

I own the IDN.com version of the name and it gets 12k exact match searches per month, but precious few type-ins.

From my perspective it's not a trademark issue. After all, most Yandex listings are for the sports figure. I'm sure a case could be made for the other side.

I don't have any desire to sell names, but i would like to lease a few.

Am thinking of redirecting to where the Russian version shows in browser window (in Opera anyways) and redirecting to the larger company and offering them a lease arrangement.

Am i asking for trouble? As an alternate i could simply and cheerfully offer to work with them in my core biz which is online advertising, and just let them use the name for free.

Please advise!