IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2009, 05:36 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Beware 1and1

Dear David Wrixon, (Customer ID: *******)

Thank you for contacting us.

In our renewal system, we have no manual renewal to add more years for
its registration as we only have automated renewal to all the domains
registered under 1and1. All the domains are subjected to be renewed
annually provided that you do have an update credit card details for the
renewal fee.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,
Froilan Tayong
Technical Support
1&1 Internet Limited

� Registered at Cardiff, Company number 3953678 - VAT No GB 752539027
Aquasulis House, 10-14 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 3SA, United
Kingdom
Old 8th February 2009, 05:38 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Beware 1and1

Incidentally, these bastards used to be cheap but no longer, and you can now get free transfers without undue hassle.
Old 8th February 2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Why are you still with them?
Old 8th February 2009, 06:35 AM
Veteran

.co.uk has historically been complicated to administer.

There is no real answer to that question. My first task today is to organize a transfer out.

My second task is to investigate the mechanism for Trademark Revocation.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:45 AM

JColson is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave,

Can you let me have details of the transfer out procedure once you have mastered it please? Time to move mine I think.

Jane
Old 8th February 2009, 10:06 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

I have some .co.uk that I bought via easyspace.com 5 years ago - don't know if they are associated with 1and1 but equally expensive and a real pain in the arse to deal with.

Also sold a few and boy is that a nightmare of paperwork - and time consuming- safe and secure though. :p
Old 8th February 2009, 10:10 AM
Veteran

You can initiate transfers online from Nominet, but there is a fee. There is an option on who pays the fee.

The procedure below, however, seems to be easier and free.

http://www.123-support.co.uk/Answer....ticleID=294#uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
I have some .co.uk that I bought via easyspace.com 5 years ago - don't know if they are associated with 1and1 but equally expensive and a real pain in the arse to deal with.

Also sold a few and boy is that a nightmare of paperwork - and time consuming- safe and secure though. :p
Old 8th February 2009, 10:43 AM

dave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished road

A month ago I transferred a domain (.com) from them. They approved the transfer only a week later.

They are not happy when domains are transferred away, and slow the process.

Keep away from them!
Old 8th February 2009, 11:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_5 View Post
A month ago I transferred a domain (.com) from them. They approved the transfer only a week later.

They are not happy when domains are transferred away, and slow the process.

Keep away from them!
Yes, the relationship is one of those Prisoner/Jailer things. I guess it is alright if you are into that kind of kinky stuff.
Old 8th February 2009, 12:10 PM

camarro is an unknown quantity at this point

this is recorring with some registrars, i have dealt with some bad ones personally, they think that they can do whatever they want and seem to be right to some extend, makes one wonder's whow exactly does the icann accreditation process works, i guess paying the fee is all it takes to flash the icann brand seal of approval.
Old 8th February 2009, 12:13 PM
Veteran

You old cynic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarro View Post
this is recorring with some registrars, i have dealt with some bad ones personally, they think that they can do whatever they want and seem to be right to some extend, makes one wonder's whow exactly does the icann accreditation process works, i guess paying the fee is all it takes to flash the icann brand seal of approval.
Old 8th February 2009, 01:46 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

123Reg are a nightmare .. They 'lost' over 100 .co.uk I had a for over 2 weeks. (This is a few years ago) The 'accidentally' deleted them but kept the money and 'forget' to tell me. The finally retrieved them but suspiciously about 20 of them were with other registrants. I never got it resolved.

One thing I did with regards to Nominet though was to request the paperwork for all my .co.uk at the same time .. Saves time if you sell one rather than request paperwork for each one when/if you sell it.
Though I now have a pile of paperwork that weighs about 20 KGs!
Old 8th February 2009, 01:59 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah 1 and 1 - I bought 2 domains based there and they did best to make transfer away a slow, hassle process... (some rule that domains had to be with them 9 mths before could be transferred).
Basically rubbish, thinking that people will stick to them if hassle is too much... alas 3 tries and 3 1/2 weeks later they finally transferred the domains!

Agree - avoid them... cheers, Asiaplau
Old 8th February 2009, 03:09 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
123Reg are a nightmare ..
I believe though, they're the only ones who offer online change of Tag holder which makes things a bit easier when you transfer out.
I have most of my co.uks with them.
Old 8th February 2009, 04:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
I believe though, they're the only ones who offer online change of Tag holder which makes things a bit easier when you transfer out.
I have most of my co.uks with them.
1and1 have that and I am sure a few others do as well, but I think they have best interface from what I have seen.

.co.uk is certainly a bit more viable than it used to be in that respect.