IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2009, 11:55 PM

messiah01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Extensions Extensions Extensions!

Hello all, this is my first post, although I have been lurking a while now! I’ve just read a bit of the introduction page and I am also a Dave from the UK, now you have 3 is that a new record? I’m relatively new to IDN domains and to be honest I am very confused about the situation with the coming IDN.IDN domains. If these questions have been asked before, I apologize and would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction to find the information.

I only speak English (England) so would appreciate it if local people from around the world have any opinions. Is it not hard for people typing in local languages to type in the language and then switch to ascii to type .com or .net?

What are the chances of each country’s IDN.ccTLD being transferred into the main IDN.IDN domain in time? Will ICANN not take the opportunity to create new IDN extensions to make more money as they seem to love to do?! And are people not worried about the CNNIC extensions etc, why do people think the ICANN extensions will take priority with the Chinese people over .公司 or .中国? The same with the Russian Government, saying they are not happy with ICANN’s control and want to bring in .рф does anyone think this could make .ru redundant?

Are people that own domains in countries with more authoritarian governments, where citizens have less rights not worried that they will be confiscated if they become more valuable?

I appreciate no one can really be sure, but any informed opinions would really help me out! Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 02:16 AM

DomainDialect is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Extensions Extensions Extensions!

Welcome, messiah01. I see you are full of questions. These are not new questions, however and most answers are yet to be determined. Nice to have you along for the ride.