IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2009, 08:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Rick gets the relevance of Politics and Economics to Domainers?

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/newt...=newthread&f=8

Lets face it, if he can get it, why do the rest of you often have such a hard time?

It won't be long before he catches onto the fact that there is life on other contents, albeit, "but not as we know it".
Old 14th March 2009, 08:32 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rick gets the relevance of Politics and Economics to Domainers?

RD can you repost your url
thanks
Old 15th March 2009, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

If you just skim his last few articles at Ricksblog.com you'll get the drift.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:43 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
RD can you repost your url thanks
http://ricksblog.com/

Why I came up with a 20 Year plan......Progress Report
Morning Folks!!

It is amazing to witness a phenomenon. Our entire industry could be labeled that. The growth of the Internet itself. I think the hardest and also the most magnificent thing is how far we have come and how fast we got here and even then it is all in super slow motion when you are part of it.

In 1996 it is hard to believe that just 5%-10% of businesses were online. When I am talking online I am not talking a web presence, I am talking a live connection to the Internet at all. Worldwide, it was much lower. I knew because I asked everyone I talked to in those days if they could get online for that was the first time that I could point to an online brochure to do my selling and do it instantly as opposed for waiting several days for the mail to get there. That was just 14 years ago. Now as close to 100% in the USA as we are likely to get. Critical mass came very quickly but who knew that then? You could only speculate and imagine what it would be like if everyone used the net. All I can say....Not in my wildest dreams did I believe it would mirror what I saw. And if it did, I would likely be dead by then. To see it so quickly, and yes, 14 years, 10 years whatever it was, was damn quick in terms of changing the habits of a planet.

But just like a 14 year old kid the Internet has much more maturing ahead. You can accelerate that growth to a small degree. 10%, 20%, maybe catch a break. At some time down the road there is a tipping point. Years of sweat come to a moment in time and just like a 14 year old boy becomes a man at some "Moment" so does the cycle of business. The cycle of business repeats itself. The same scenarios play out just with different players and different themes. I have been in many sectors of business in my life. They all play out the same. Each one of them. I had some 32 jobs between the ages of 17 and 20. Each paid a little better. Each offered a slightly brighter future. Each offered more things than the last and each were the same in so many respects.

As many jobs as I have had in my youth completely changed once I turned 20 and have had but a handful. The right handful. But amazingly, as different as they were the names were always different but the characters and events were not. Like a Hollywood movie there were always heroes and heroines and villains and bad guys and all the supporting cast in between. Each starts jovial and fun and dwindles down from there. The chapters are all the same. They all play out the same. Most get caught up in it and I too am guilty of that at times. But I have the luxury of pulling myself away from the gravity of the swirl. I know the beginning, middle and the ending. It takes 20 years for the first stage of this to play out. That means some very exciting times are on our doorstep. This economic downturn is a gift. Board rooms are asking fundamental questions and need to get with the program or they too know they risk dying on the vine. They will come and are coming industry by industry, need by need, desire by desire. But make no mistake, they always show up at the very darkest point. Let me repeat, they ALWAYS show up at the darkest point when folks are about to give up and throw in the towel. The domain industry will not change the world. The world is about to change the domain industry. There is a lot of building coming to a parking lot near you.

And yes, I do view it as the first 20 years. That was what the plan called for "Don't take anything too seriously for the first 20 years." See I believe and have always believed that domains would be an overnight sensation that would be 20 years in the making. The next 20 years I believe are the real money years. I doubt oil was as useful or in demand as much when they started pumping in Texas in the mid 1800's as it became when the autos hit the road. How amazed would those original oil guys been to see it today? My biggest regret is that I doubt anyone that reads this today will be alive to see the Internet and domains in its' full glory. Living history folks, it really does not get better than that and if you could step back a bit to see what I see.....You'd all be committed! :-)

Have a GREAT Day!
Rick Schwartz
Old 15th March 2009, 11:10 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

We can't deny him the merit of picking top domains back on the good old days.

Once in lifetime luck (it happens a lot) or real a pundit take?

The Question is: Did he succeed on his other venues? I guess not (I had some 32 jobs…) thus HE IS WRONG. It was luck. (sorry)
Old 16th March 2009, 01:03 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
We can't deny him the merit of picking top domains back on the good old days.

Once in lifetime luck (it happens a lot) or real a pundit take?

The Question is: Did he succeed on his other venues? I guess not (I had some 32 jobs…) thus HE IS WRONG. It was luck. (sorry)
Luck? Luck has many meanings. Philosophically, when we don't know how things came into being, we like to use the term "by luck". To succeed in life, luck is not that important, what is important is your ABILITY to give yourselve lucks.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 16th March 2009 at 01:11 AM..
Old 16th March 2009, 01:28 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant View Post
Luck? Luck has many meanings. Philosophically, when we don't know how things came into being, we like to use the term "by luck". To succeed in life, luck is not that important, what is important is your ABILITY to give yourselve lucks.
No, I disagree. Luck is important.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
No, I disagree. Luck is important.
Then how come he has luck but you don't? (or I should say we don't)

@
Old 16th March 2009, 12:13 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Then how come he has luck but you don't? (or I should say we don't)
Who knows...maybe our luck will come sooner than later.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Who knows...maybe our luck will come sooner than later.
It's not "maybe", it's "for sure". We will succeed for sure, not by luck but by our hard work and careful studies.

Rick did not spend time and effort in studying IDNs (or foreign laguages are really beyond his ability to understand), he will not succeed on IDNs. But it's wrong to say Rick is lucky with ASCII domains but he's not lucky with IDNs.

@
Old 16th March 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
It's not "maybe", it's "for sure". We will succeed for sure, not by luck but by our hard work and careful studies.
Agreed 110% on that, my use of the term "maybe" was to suggest that hopefully IDN getting the publicity and support from ICANN, and various international registries with idn.idn to push ALL idn into the mainstream would (hopefully) happen more sooner... than later.
Old 19th March 2009, 03:06 AM
Veteran

He believes so much in what he says that he is... unloading!

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2...eveloping.html