IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2009, 03:02 PM

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
NameDrive serious issue

I have this recent issue with NameDrive, and I wonder if anyone else did before.

I use ND for stats.
In February, I had about 4500 hits for all parked domains there, 1500 of which came from two or three particularily busy domains that keep rising.
Then this month, almost nothing. My cumulative count is at 50 hits for March. I wrote them with no answer.
My account seems right (I don't think it got hijacked), and the domains are accessible.

Any thoughts?
Old 18th March 2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: NameDrive serious issue

Did you check where the traffic was coming from before. If it was SE traffic, than the domains probably got de-indexed or fell in the rankings. Not uncommon nowadays, even for developed sites.
Old 18th March 2009, 03:29 PM

I don't know where the traffic was coming from, but it can't be that nearly all domains (maybe 200) got deindexed. Some, if not most, of the hits were from direct navigation for sure, because I tested a few of them a while ago on a seperate server, with detailed stats.
4500 hits to 50 is a pretty sharp drop, so I'm thinking something is messed up with my stats at ND.
Old 18th March 2009, 03:39 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

It`s probably because all ND parking sites have been wiped out from G index recently.
Old 18th March 2009, 03:52 PM

Is it the same at Sedo?
Old 18th March 2009, 04:35 PM

vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point

"NameDrive... I wrote them with no answer."

This is one of the most disturbing issues with Namedrive: they never respond to even basic questions about their operations and your account. Very poor indeed.
Old 18th March 2009, 05:52 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

My namedrive sites are way down too -
pageviews, clicks, money => all seriously down

update: My developed sites are in the same two languages as my parked domains at ND, and the traffic levels for them are still on the rise ... hmmm

Last edited by mdw; 18th March 2009 at 06:36 PM..
Old 18th March 2009, 07:29 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it may have something to do with the world economy. Many people go to the internet to buy things when they have a big balance in their checking account.
Old 18th March 2009, 10:10 PM

In my case, the cutoff is too abrupt to be normal.
The stats were reset on feb 25th (usually it runs until the very last day of the month), and then: about zero, no gradual diminishing, etc.
Seems somebody pull a plug...

Maybe some of my more popular domains got too popular for them?
I'm thinking maybe they suspect I did arbitraging or some other scheme to boost hits. If so, the least they can do is send you a notice.
Besides, even the best domain (900 hits) generates peanuts (10$ in this case).

I guess I'll switch to Sedo if nothing comes of this.
Old 19th March 2009, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
In my case, the cutoff is too abrupt to be normal.
The stats were reset on feb 25th
Google fucked over EVERYBODY around that date.

Take me word for it. When I stand up I leave a blood stain on the chair.
Old 19th March 2009, 07:20 AM

Aidan_from_NameDrive is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Aidan_from_NameDrive

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty with your ND account. Can you PM me your account details and I will take a closer look and get back to you. There is a few plausible explanations but I would prefer to look into your account before speculating.

Thanks,

Aidan
Old 19th March 2009, 07:51 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

I have experienced otherwise.
Aidan @ ND has been very helpful in answering emails to them. He has just saved me $3000 by stoping me from buying a false traffic domain.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:35 AM

bluesunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: NameDrive serious issue

Same thing happened to me. I checked a few of my domains and the ND sites do indeed seem to be de-indexed on Google.

OK Here's the icing on the cake... If you specifically search for the domain name with .com after it, it still doesn't come up, the .org does though!! (At least in the domain I tested.) That really doesn't seem right.

Oh well, I guess I was waiting for a kick in the pants to get developing.
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:41 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, nearly all our parked domains have been de-indexed.

1) If google is just de-indexing external parked pages, i.e. those not parked with adsense for domains, isn't that "anti-competitive" in some way? Or is it just a case of google being allowed to show what pages it wants since they own their search engine?
2) Seeing the % decrease in traffic is actually a very good way to see where your visitors came from in the first place i.e. real type-in traffic vs. search engine (type-in traffic). For our Thai domains, looks like we have lost around 75% of page views, showing Thais favour indirect type-ins (i.e. via google.co.th) rather than typing directly into the browser bar.
3) Parking is now a non-starter for us. It was bad enough with the gradual decline in ND PPC income, but now with the 75% pageview reduction, we would be better off serving burgers than ND parked pages !

I've always favoured development, just been too lazy to follow the idea through
Old 23rd March 2009, 04:23 PM

Here's a quick update.

First, I have to agreed with Markits, Aidan from ND is quite responsive and helpful; we're currently trying to see if what I'm experiencing with my account is normal or otherwise.

As well, it seems my initial inquiry with them was sent to the wrong adress; I replied to what I thought came from them, but was actually a Paypal notification of payment...
My bad.
Old 23rd March 2009, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm, never really noticed anything at all. Does that mean we are mostly direct naviagation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Yeah, nearly all our parked domains have been de-indexed.

1) If google is just de-indexing external parked pages, i.e. those not parked with adsense for domains, isn't that "anti-competitive" in some way? Or is it just a case of google being allowed to show what pages it wants since they own their search engine?
2) Seeing the % decrease in traffic is actually a very good way to see where your visitors came from in the first place i.e. real type-in traffic vs. search engine (type-in traffic). For our Thai domains, looks like we have lost around 75% of page views, showing Thais favour indirect type-ins (i.e. via google.co.th) rather than typing directly into the browser bar.
3) Parking is now a non-starter for us. It was bad enough with the gradual decline in ND PPC income, but now with the 75% pageview reduction, we would be better off serving burgers than ND parked pages !

I've always favoured development, just been too lazy to follow the idea through