IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2006, 04:45 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I own TV too

Since others have been talking about .tv, I'll state for the record that I believe that .tv is pure speculation. Development is required and real value is several years away. Nonetheless, I know that .tv is not completely unknown among Japanese domains even today and I clearly see the potential. I placed a few bets down on .tv back in February and here are some of them. I'm in for the long haul. Thoughts?

エッチ.tv slang for "sex" OVT 634254
風俗.tv name for a place to receive sex services, like "brothel" OVT 804311
旅行.tv "travel"
料理.tv "cooking"
天気.tv "weather"
映画.tv "movie"
音楽.tv "music"

Last edited by rhys; 17th April 2006 at 04:59 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 04:51 AM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV
Re: Yeah I own TV too

Great Names !! is my only thought...

— Umberto Eco
Old 17th April 2006, 06:47 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Since others have been talking about .tv, I'll state for the record that I believe that .tv is pure speculation. Development is required and real value is several years away. Nonetheless, I know that .tv is not completely unknown among Japanese domains even today and I clearly see the potential. I placed a few bets down on .tv back in February and here are some of them. I'm in for the long haul. Thoughts?

エッチ.tv slang for "sex" OVT 634254
風俗.tv name for a place to receive sex services, like "brothel" OVT 804311
旅行.tv "travel"
料理.tv "cooking"
天気.tv "weather"
映画.tv "movie"
音楽.tv "music"

Names are great, but one thing, writeoff 3 year's registration fee, wait out.
Old 17th April 2006, 07:07 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I have some .tv' also and have accepted that they either need developing or settle in for the long haul.
Someone made a good point on this forum about extending the registration now for another 2, 3 or 5 years so that when the registrars get wind of how *fantastic* they are gonna be and jack the prices at least you wont have to pay it...
Old 17th April 2006, 07:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I have some .tv' also and have accepted that they either need developing or settle in for the long haul.
Someone made a good point on this forum about extending the registration now for another 2, 3 or 5 years so that when the registrars get wind of how *fantastic* they are gonna be and jack the prices at least you wont have to pay it...

I think it will still be a long way to go before IDN.TV get jacked up.

In any case, they would first jack up the prices of names like www.china.tv - it's an error page - so i can't imagine an owner not having a proper site for a jacked up domain.
Old 17th April 2006, 07:48 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anything that protect domain owners from unreasonable price jacks? I think it's crammy when you do all the work developing a domain, then have to pay a ransom to continue to use it. :o
Old 17th April 2006, 08:18 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
Is there anything that protect domain owners from unreasonable price jacks? I think it's crammy when you do all the work developing a domain, then have to pay a ransom to continue to use it. :o
Effectively Verisign is saying that they have done the speculation on this one, and that the extension is intended only for affluent end users. Why would anyone want to speculate under those conditions?
Old 17th April 2006, 08:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Effectively Verisign is saying that they have done the speculation on this one, and that the extension is intended only for affluent end users. Why would anyone want to speculate under those conditions?

Well, let's put it this way, it's a chicken and egg thing, by the time Verisign acknowledges that your domain is worth money for a jack up - you'll probably made it - your domain would have appreciated 1000 times.

Of course, to counter this move, as what mulligan has said, it might be wise to register for 3-8 years at a go for "valuable names" just before Verisign makes it's move. At the moment, with probably less than 500 idn.tv registered, i do not see how Verisign would kill off idn.tv by jacking up prices.

This talk about jacking up is too early.

Last edited by touchring; 17th April 2006 at 08:48 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 08:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

I have always feared verisign increasing the reg. fee, I am fine with reg. my names for 10 years if that helps (if that helps), I am pretty confident about my names and the IDNs, but not the reg. fee.

I think this is one serious question we .TV IDN holders should answer.

— Umberto Eco
Old 17th April 2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd99392
I have always feared verisign increasing the reg. fee, I am fine with reg. my names for 10 years if that helps (if that helps), I am pretty confident about my names and the IDNs, but not the reg. fee.

Yes, if you end up paying $50K a year in reg fees that takes a serious chunk, may be as much as $500K out of the value of the domain.
Old 17th April 2006, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:

Please take a look at www.china.tv, it's registered by someone in China since 2000, tell me if you think he is paying a jack up fee. After you have seen the site, you can tell us what you think.

Should IDNs and .TV take off, i'm prepared to register my best names for 15 years if that's possible, that will settle the jack up problem. It's as simple as that. What's 15 years fee cost? 15 x $35 = $525.

And will people think about what happens after 15 years? No. Probably birdflu or nuclear bomb planted by terrorists would have wiped out one third of the world in 15 years.

Last edited by touchring; 17th April 2006 at 08:58 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 09:00 AM

I know its a crappy site, but probably he is paying a high reg. fee hoping to sell it to some end user for a really high value. I know a lot of people doing that.

But, anyway I am sure we will know in advance when they jack up, so lets keep the liquidity, and reg. these names for a long time when we get to know.

— Umberto Eco
Old 17th April 2006, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I know its a crappy site, but probably he is paying a high reg. fee hoping to sell it to some end user for a really high value. I know a lot of people doing that.

But, anyway I am sure we will know in advance when they jack up, so lets keep the liquidity, and reg. these names for a long time when we get to know.

How do you know his name is jacked up?
Old 17th April 2006, 09:16 AM

I own a lot of ascii .TV domains both premium and non premium, if its a premium name then it is reg. by versign, verisign does not give whois info. about .tv domains not registered through them, when I checked for www.china.tv in www.tv , it gave the whois data, so dat means it has been reg. by them. I think the annual reg. fee for this domain would be definetly greater than > $10000

Elequa owns a lot of premium .tv's which he has parked with no development. He believes that .tv will be the future of the internet.

— Umberto Eco
Old 17th April 2006, 09:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Elequa owns a lot of premium .tv's which he has parked with no development. He believes that .tv will be the future of the internet.
He may be right, but that doesn't mean that he will necessarily be rich. If Verisign turn the screws the domains may be worth a fortune, but he may end up with next to nothing.
Old 17th April 2006, 09:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I own a lot of ascii .TV domains both premium and non premium, if its a premium name then it is reg. by versign, verisign does not give whois info. about .tv domains not registered through them, when I checked for www.china.tv in www.tv , it gave the whois data, so dat means it has been reg. by them. I think the annual reg. fee for this domain would be definetly greater than > $10000

But www.tv does not even support idns....

Anyway, i took a look at my .tvs, i could extend their registration till 2017 for about $300 more.

Last edited by touchring; 17th April 2006 at 09:44 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
He may be right, but that doesn't mean that he will necessarily be rich. If Verisign turn the screws the domains may be worth a fortune, but he may end up with next to nothing.
He is already rich...He owns a lot more domains other than .TV,

WWW.tv doesnot support IDN .tv's but as verisign has the marketing rights for .tv's so it can take it up any time, and www.china.tv is not an idn and I am definite that it is a premium reg.

— Umberto Eco

Last edited by IDN.TV; 17th April 2006 at 09:50 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 09:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
He is already rich...He owns a lot more domains other than .TV,

WWW.tv doesnot support IDN .tv's but as verisign has the marketing rights for .tv's so it can take it up any time, and www.china.tv is not an idn and I am definite that it is a premium reg.

So, what do you suggest? Extend to the max 10 years?
Old 17th April 2006, 10:09 AM

I suggest lets wait till IE 7, then lets change our strategies. It will deifntely take some time for versign to figure out what is premium in the IDN sector.

— Umberto Eco
Old 17th April 2006, 10:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by this. Doesn't Verisign own .tvs? I registered my .tvs at discountdomain24, does this mean Verisign doesn't control my domains?