IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2006, 06:05 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Domains U.S.A Today Cover

Front Cover of the U.S.A Today

By Jon Swartz, USA TODAY
SAN FRANCISCO — Internet domain names are red-hot again.

This year, 15 names used in Internet addresses have resold for at least six figures to companies and individuals hoping to tap into big audiences. On.com got $635,000. Macau.com fetched $550,000.

Sex.com went for a record $12 million in cash and stock to adult-entertainment company Escom in January, according to industry-trade reports and sources with knowledge of the deal, who declined to be named because of the private nature of the sale.

Sales of 5,851 domain names generated $29 million in 2005, compared with the sale of 3,813 names for $15 million in 2004, says market researcher Zetetic. And the pace is quickening: In the first three months of this year, 1,949 names have generated $14.2 million, says Domain Name Journal magazine.

"The domain name is 21st century real estate," says Warren Adelman, president of GoDaddy.com, the world's largest domain name registrar, with 12.9 million. "The economy is being increasingly driven by the Internet sector."

As more people — and advertisers — move online, it has created opportunities for an estimated 1,000 to 2,000 domainers, individuals who buy and sell domain names, says Ron Jackson, publisher of Domain Name Journal.

This nuber appears to be way off 1,000 to 2,000 domainers ?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...in-names_x.htm
Old 17th April 2006, 06:39 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: Domains U.S.A Today Cover

It's off in two directions at the same time.

There are probably far less than 1,000 people who make a decent living off of domains.

There are probably far more than 2,000 people who are "delusionally hopeful" of making money from registering and reselling domains (many of whom are responsible for the utter junk that litters eBay, etc.)
Old 17th April 2006, 06:46 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin

There are probably far less than 1,000 people who make a decent living off of domains.

There are probably far more than 2,000 people who are "delusionally hopeful" of making money from registering and reselling domains (many of whom are responsible for the utter junk that litters eBay, etc.)

I think practically 90% of people that started playing domains in the late 1990s make money, so on the longer term (5-6 years), as long as one keeps a few good and solid names the money is there.
Old 17th April 2006, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think practically 90% of people that started playing domains in the late 1990s make money, so on the longer term (5-6 years), as long as one keeps a few good and solid names the money is there.
Yes, but those people went into the markets during the speculative phase, you would have had to go to some lengths to think up crappy names back then. Most of todays Newbies are entering at the investment phase, but not picking up anything of investment grade.

It has taken nearly ten years for the ASCII market to mature. Don't be fooled that it will take anything like that amount of time with IDN. ASCII domains developed in parallel with the internet itself. All the infrastructure we now take for granted, including registrars, PPC services, Drop Services, DNJournal, Domains Forums etc. have all developed in parallel with ASCII.

With IDN, for places like China and Japan, the web content is already substantially established, it is merely an appropriate addressing system that is missing. Once the technology is fully in place the adoption of IDN is likely to occur at Whirlwind speed. You either get it or you don't get it. Some of its biggest detractors have become its biggest fans over night. I will stick my neck out and predict that the IDN market will be very close to where ASCII is now within 3 years.
Old 17th April 2006, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, but those people went into the markets during the speculative phase, you would have had to go to some lengths to think up crappy names back then. Most of todays Newbies are entering at the investment phase, but not picking up anything of investment grade.

It has taken nearly ten years for the ASCII market to mature. Don't be fooled that it will take anything like that amount of time with IDN. ASCII domains developed in parallel with the internet itself. All the infrastructure we now take for granted, including registrars, PPC services, Drop Services, DNJournal, Domains Forums etc. have all developed in parallel with ASCII.

With IDN, for places like China and Japan, the web content is already substantially established, it is merely an appropriate addressing system that is missing. Once the technology is fully in place the adoption of IDN is likely to occur at Whirlwind speed. You either get it or you don't get it. Some of its biggest detractors have become its biggest fans over night. I will stick my neck out and predict that the IDN market will be very close to where ASCII is now within 3 years.

Back in 1999/2000, there were a lot of 2-word .com names, single word .org, 3-letter names that can be picked up and sold for a few hundred to one or two thousand dollars today. I wanted to go into domains then, but later went into some other biz that left me little time, and thus lost the opportunity.

Last edited by touchring; 17th April 2006 at 08:19 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 08:23 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Back in 1999/2000, there were a lot of 2-word .com names, single word .org, 3-letter names that can be picked up and sold for a few hundred to one or two thousand dollars today. I wanted to go into domains then, but later went into some other biz that left me little time, and thus lost the opportunity.
Well that is correct, most of the crappy IDN registered today will turn out to be fair, if not spectacular investments. However, crappy ASCII registrations will remain just that!
Old 17th April 2006, 10:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Well that is correct, most of the crappy IDN registered today will turn out to be fair, if not spectacular investments. However, crappy ASCII registrations will remain just that!

I'm very bullish on IDNs, especially Chinese idns. Sometime back, I came across a chinese domain website with 100K posts and it has an Alexa of 100,000. In comparison, IDNF only has 14K posts and an Alexa of 13,000.

By extrapolation, one can only imagine the kind of traffic the 7 chinese sites within Alexa top 20 has.

I wouldn't be surprised that a chinese site with the same Alexa as a similar American site would have 10 to 20 times the traffic.

Last edited by touchring; 17th April 2006 at 10:10 AM..
Old 17th April 2006, 10:11 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i heard my nickname? i mean MisterCrappyIdnDomains.com ?:p well i love the enthusiasm of R.Duck, i wish you are right and crappy idns can also make it.
Old 17th April 2006, 11:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
i heard my nickname? i mean MisterCrappyIdnDomains.com ?:p well i love the enthusiasm of R.Duck, i wish you are right and crappy idns can also make it.
Yes, but you don't speculated with the intention of making a return of 10-20% per annum. At least I don't!
Old 17th April 2006, 06:55 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

this 1000 people number you are talking is about only domain resellers ? i mean what about the ones who develop domains and who also have a stock to sell? I guess 1000 is extremely low, unless decent living means to have a jet and 10 mansions around the world.

by the way, you started on 1997 as i read on some posts u did here almost 10 years ago, i wonder how come u are not super rich instead of being still a guy posting on forums, instead of living already out of your profits on a paradise island? what did u do wrong? im learning
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/dom...97comments.htm

i do agree on the statement there are many "delusionally hopeful" guys around. DNF is a nice spot to find them.
Old 17th April 2006, 07:37 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As Edwin wrote in 1997:

The way to solve the shortage of domain names is very simple. Implementation of the following
procedures will free up needed domain names and ensure that an adequate supply will be available
for the future:-

A) Increase the fee for retaining domain names from $50 to $100 per year, effective from the
renewal date for current domain names. This serves to discourage speculators.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th April 2006 at 09:27 PM..
Old 17th April 2006, 08:17 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:

by the way, you started on 1997 as i read on some posts u did here almost 10 years ago, i wonder how come u are not super rich instead of being still a guy posting on forums, instead of living already out of your profits on a paradise island? what did u do wrong? im learning
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/dom...97comments.htm

i do agree on the statement there are many "delusionally hopeful" guys around. DNF is a nice spot to find them.

Umm i dont know edwin personaly and im sure he sure he is not going to post his finacial situation , but do you not see how he is nicknamed" Hoover The Vacuum" and sweeps up names like there is no tommorow, One would assume he isnt living check to check , but if you are a domainer to heart or just have the slightest idea of what the Net can offer ( IDN's), it shouldnt matter how much money is in your bank account to be involed in opportunitys and forums like this
Old 17th April 2006, 09:28 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Actually I was involved in domains earlier than that - I built igoldrush.com (since sold) in 1996 - at the time, it was the very first domain industry-specific web resource... a lot of old-timers remember it, I think.

And I don't think I've done too badly, when I look up and down my list of 5,200 domains - but it's like a landlord owning a bunch of properties, it's only big money in the bank when you SELL them, even though they can of course generate rent in the meantime. Guess I'm not greedy enough (in the Gordon Gekko sense) for the paradise island lifestyle though
Old 17th April 2006, 09:38 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I heard that an offer of $50,000 was refused for Television.com. That's a lot of money. Is it true?
Yes it is. And yes, it is. You can find more details of the domain name, and why the owner refused to sell it, at www.television.com.

So, domain names will make me rich?
No. These high-price sales are the tip of a very large iceberg. Most transactions take place somewhere in the depths of the 'berg, well below the water line. You may make some money if you pick a good domain name, but you are not going to get rich by selling domain names.
http://web.archive.org/web/199704100...com/faq.htm#t1
Old 17th April 2006, 09:43 PM

If you're going to dredge up what I said in 1997, at least put it in context... this is what I said immediately after that: "It is possible to make good money out of domain names. But don't approach them as a get-rich-quick scheme; that kind of luck only happens to a few people."

For a bit of context on that distant pre-bubble era, remember this was before business.com was sold, let alone re-sold! The highest completed transaction in the world was for $50,000.

Last edited by Edwin; 17th April 2006 at 09:45 PM..
Old 18th April 2006, 08:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Actually I was involved in domains earlier than that - I built igoldrush.com (since sold) in 1996 - at the time, it was the very first domain industry-specific web resource... a lot of old-timers remember it, I think.

And I don't think I've done too badly, when I look up and down my list of 5,200 domains - but it's like a landlord owning a bunch of properties, it's only big money in the bank when you SELL them, even though they can of course generate rent in the meantime. Guess I'm not greedy enough (in the Gordon Gekko sense) for the paradise island lifestyle though

With 5200 domains, PPC is real business, have you thought of creating or using a script that can cross-link and generate yahoo or adsense pages for your names. Or just parking on ND is sufficient.

Last edited by touchring; 18th April 2006 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th April 2006, 09:32 AM

I use Fabulous, Namedrive and Sedo parking, some names have custom landing pages - good enough for me, for now anyway