View Single Post
Old 13th October 2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do Thai language speakers place an adjective before or after the noun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
We generally say:

หมาสีแดง (pronounced as mha see daeng) or "dog colour red." หมาแดง (dog red) works as well but is more colloquial.

In Thai we generally try to be as descriptive as possible. So MDW is right on about the fact that adjective goes right after nouns. Feel free to PM me if you want to confirm something specific.

Cheers!
Not knowing much about Thai at all, I would just like to make a general warning to native English speakers that many if not most languages have a whole load of grammatical constructs that do not exist in English. First there is gender and generally adjectives have to agree with their nouns. And you can get up to four "genders" to my knowledge. The other concept is case. Languages can have up to seven cases to my knowledge and the adjective also has to agree with the case of the noun in some instances. Summarising: Just don't try to guess. We were lucky. Most of our domains are single words. That makes life a whole lot easier.