IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2009, 02:02 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Get your Russian passports ready

The Director of the national domain coordination center said in the opening of a Moscow conf. ( http://ok2009.ru/ ) today that:

.RF should begin it's registration period on Sept 09 for govt,tm holders and other right holders and on March 10 for public registration.

This said after his recent meeting with Paul Twomey

Only Russian passport holders may apply.

http://www.rian.ru/science/20090422/168948405.html
http://www.rian.ru/science/20090422/168947031.html

So now we have the date. Someone tell verisign.
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:08 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough
Re: Get your Russian passports ready

I guess Russian emigres in EU, US and Israel will be busy wiring money to
their friends....

Makes IDN dot com in Russian more valuable in my judgment....

All of you GEO dot com holders are golden..

Steve
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:31 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
All of you GEO dot com holders are golden..
And what about my long tail keywords????
Old 23rd April 2009, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Both dates added to the Calendar here on IDNF.
Old 24th April 2009, 01:39 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

The articles also talks about "revision" of rules where your new .ru domain registration might also require your Russian passport.
I can almost hear Russian website owners saying "screw this, let's go with a .com".
Old 27th June 2009, 04:14 PM

rofsjan is an unknown quantity at this pointrofsjan is an unknown quantity at this pointrofsjan is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need a passport for registration.
But in those two articles is not mentioned that it should be a Russian passport.
Old 27th June 2009, 06:12 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm - just as well I have some trustable Russian friends
Interesting approach, but perhaps it also does mean domains will have good quality cyrillic content.

Thanks for info - cheers, Asiaplay
Old 28th June 2009, 10:17 AM

andre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275 View Post
The Director of the national domain coordination center said in the opening of a Moscow conf. ( http://ok2009.ru/ ) today that:

.RF should begin it's registration period on Sept 09 for govt,tm holders and other right holders and on March 10 for public registration.
I assume that by .RF you mean the cyrillic form .рф ? Or will there also be the latin form .rf ?

The next important date is: When will .рф become live in the ICANN DN root servers ? I assume it will be after the ICANN Seoul meeting in October. I wonder how long after that meeting ?

It would be good if ICANN were to publish a timetable of "idn ccTLDs going live" estimated/actual dates.

André 小山 Schappo
http://国际化域名.lboro.ac.uk/
Old 28th June 2009, 10:21 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
I assume that by .RF you mean the cyrillic form .рф ? Or will there also be the latin form .rf ?

The next important date is: When will .рф become live in the ICANN DN root servers ? I assume it will be after the ICANN Seoul meeting in October. I wonder how long after that meeting ?
Yes, i mean cyrillic, there will be no ascii (latin) .rf

Yeah i think 30-60 days after the Seoul meeting (Ends Oct 30,2009) we will see idn.idn

The last thing we need to clear and that should happen in a couple months is the verification we won't see neither the gtld's or cctld's disadvantaged if one is introduced to the root before the other but that is an unlikely scenario in my personal opinion.
Old 15th July 2009, 07:23 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like IDN ccTLDs will probably be released ahead of the new GTLD program.
That's what they're tending towards (in ICANNs (see note) response to previous comments), so there is a good possibility of 30-60 days after the Seoul meeting. For the low (landrush) prices I'm assuming 9 weeks after the initial release. So let's say they launch it around new year, Jan 13th or so, it would be early-mid March before the landrush starts. If the launch is early December, landrush would be in early February.

It would be nice to hear from an insider in Russia, what the talk is over there for timing.

Note: As has been stated by many in the community, the ideal scenario would be for the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process and the gTLD program to launch at the same time. Input received from the GNSO, ccNSO, and others reflect this goal. While it is important to coordinate these two efforts, it is also determined that one process should not be delayed due to delays in the other. That course has been pursued when it appeared as though the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process may lag behind the gTLD process. Now, it appears that the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process may launch first, a few months ahead of the gTLD implementation. Balancing the benefits and harms associated with moving ahead with IDN ccTLDs ahead of gTLDs, the original course appears to be sound – that each process will launch as soon as it is ready. Many countries are ready to move ahead with their community based IDN. Delaying that process would only serve to deprive registrants in those areas of participating in the DNS in their own language and also encourage those waiting for the ICANN process to launch their own version of the root zone. from http://www.icann.org/en/public-comme...15jun09-en.pdf
Old 15th July 2009, 07:28 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Actually no, all it requires is for Verisign to come clean. I woudl think Seoul might be a good venue and time for that. There is a point where suspense just gives way to boredom, and we are rapidly approaching that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
Looks like IDN ccTLDs will probably be released ahead of the new GTLD program.
That's what they're tending towards (in ICANNs (see note) response to previous comments), so there is a good possibility of 30-60 days after the Seoul meeting. For the low (landrush) prices I'm assuming 9 weeks after the initial release. So let's say they launch it around new year, Jan 13th or so, it would be early-mid March before the landrush starts. If the launch is early December, landrush would be in early February.

It would be nice to hear from an insider in Russia, what the talk is over there for timing.

Note: As has been stated by many in the community, the ideal scenario would be for the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process and the gTLD program to launch at the same time. Input received from the GNSO, ccNSO, and others reflect this goal. While it is important to coordinate these two efforts, it is also determined that one process should not be delayed due to delays in the other. That course has been pursued when it appeared as though the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process may lag behind the gTLD process. Now, it appears that the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process may launch first, a few months ahead of the gTLD implementation. Balancing the benefits and harms associated with moving ahead with IDN ccTLDs ahead of gTLDs, the original course appears to be sound – that each process will launch as soon as it is ready. Many countries are ready to move ahead with their community based IDN. Delaying that process would only serve to deprive registrants in those areas of participating in the DNS in their own language and also encourage those waiting for the ICANN process to launch their own version of the root zone. from http://www.icann.org/en/public-comme...15jun09-en.pdf
Old 15th July 2009, 12:01 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Last edited by 555; 15th July 2009 at 12:56 PM..