IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2009, 02:18 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
IDN Video from Luxembourg 2005

• ICANN and IDN leading registries revise IDN guidelines
http://media1.icann.org/ramgen/2005/...n-1-13jul05.rm

More meetings here:
http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/luxembourg/video.htm
Old 4th May 2009, 02:27 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Re: IDN Video from Luxembourg 2005

1:12:35
Old 4th May 2009, 02:41 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

"pat kane: i'm pat kane with verisign and i'm speaking today on behalf of the gtld constituency. earlier this week we got together and talked about idns and talked about this particular panel session, and the two things that we came away with were that, one, there clearly is market demand for idns. people want to use idns. people want to represent themselves in their native character sets. and the second thing is that there is value in the registries, at least the gtld registries, having a consistent approach to delivering idns. and we also believe there's value in the ccs also coming along with some consistent approaches towards idns.
so i wanted to present a few statements that we have out of the gtld registry constituency.
the first being that members of the gtld registry constituency are committed to serving the needs of communities desiring to build an online identity using the characters and script that they choose to represent themselves. we do recognize there is market demand and we want to be able to meet the market demand.
the next address the issues around the guidelines that we have today.
as long as the concept of relating language to a domain exists, and to michel's point, does it make -- does it still make sense, the gtld registries will follow established authoritative language tables. the key there will be what is authoritative and who is authoritative.
the third part, where language tables do not exist, the gtld registries will not permit the commingling of scripts in a domain label. that is we will not allow two scripts to be represented within the same domain registration.
and where language tables are desired, we will seek funding and appropriate authoritative body to assist with the development of such tables.
so that's where the statement that we have from the gtld registry constituency in terms of how we're going to move forward with our idn programs.
as far as these being the idn guidelines that we have from -- that were established right before the march -- montreal icann meeting in 2003, there are two issues i contend with on a regular basis in terms of running the program. the first comes from the technical community and the security community around the commingling of scripts.
so does a single script and a single domain work? we've already given the example already today around what happens in some of the asian languages, chinese, korean, and japanese as to there are appropriate reasons to commingle scripts. they have developed tables that we can follow in accordance with the statement we have made already.
just some other items. .2% of the com/net registrations combine scripts questionably. that's my determination of what is questionable and from where we are i take a looking at basic latin as being something that people like to combine with other scripts.
75% of the cyrillic-latin combinations are numbers and dashes today. so we when we see a language come in tagged as latin or tagged as cyrillic, 75% of those are just numbers and dashes.
some of the other commingling issues that we have, there are some characters that are used across multiple scripts again. we see companies that are increasingly branding themselves using symbols, and some languages have been represented in multiple scripts for the last 125 years or even longer.
and the question that i always have is do characters ever blend in terms of usage, in terms of representation in those communities.
as far as language tables, i have a question that comes in from our customers, and their customers at least on a weekly basis, and that is what does the language table mean, what does the language tab mean in terms of when i enter my domain. if they put in all ascii characters they don't have to have a tag but it could certainly be the german language.
so when we tag a language -- or a registration with a language, what do we mean? is it the german alphabet, 29 characters; is it the characters commonly used within the german language or something that denic is doing in terms of a code page with that handles the languages used in germany?
and then when we come to authority of who can speak for a language table, arabic as a script has one time or another supported all of these languages listed there. the ones that are bolded are the ones currently using arabic today. so who is going to speak for the arabic table and what is allowable or not allowable?
so maybe language tags only confuse the issue. to michel's point, maybe it is about scripts and maybe it's not about language.
and the guidelines address variant tables and not character tables. so when we talk about variant tables, we think of the chinese and simplified and traditional chinese tables where they map one to the other or several to another.
so while i was able i wanted to provide a few statistics around idns around gtlds, specifically com/net and info and worldwide.
today, one and a half percent of all domains are idn's. there are 79.1 million domains registered worldwide, and about a million of them are idn's. 37% of internet users only are english speaking and that number gets smaller and smaller every day. and today we have over 40 tlds that register idns and they are growing every day. within com/net the largest languages we have registrations for are korean, german and chinese. of our registrars, we have 121 registrars who have idns under management today. not all of them are actively selling idns, but 121 have a -- are managing at least one idn.
this next one is something that i found very interesting in december of last year. our renewal rate on idns approached 70%. that is very big from the standpoint of people believing in what they have in terms of a registration. our ascii rate is just slightly above that. so they are on par with our other domains.
resolution traffic is growing. in november of last year, i'm sure everyone is aware, fire fox put out their 1.0 version of their browser. we started to see resolution traffic growing, growing based upon that. so i believe that's directly attributable to fire fox.
we also have 62% of our com/net idns resolving to a live site. so people are using them and working with them. ram has provided information around .info and on they registered 15,000 on the first day of registering german names.
so if we have a lot of issues that people have pointed out around idns, why should we continue. it's still really only half a product. we have only internationalized the host name. we don't have anything to the left of the @ and no tld. so why should we continue? we still have localized demand. the online population again is becoming more non-english speaking every single day. we still have over a million idns worldwide. resolution numbers increasing. renewal rates are increasing. cctlds continue to deploy idn technology. in april of this year, verisign did a launch in south america and we had 34 reporters come to launch, 32 articles were written and the lead item in most of those articles is you could register portuguese domain names. we saw an immediate 30 percent increase in registrations based upon that and in this in three or four weeks .br was offering idns and then chile is offering idns as well. so there is demand. and we're still talking about idns at any icann meeting at domain events. so it's still a topic, still an issue.
the thing i worry about is if domains can't provide the experience, if we can't figure out how to provide a domain experience for the end user, other products will, and we won't be selling idns at all.
thank you
.(applause.)"

http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/lux...op-13jul05.htm

Last edited by alpha; 4th May 2009 at 06:38 PM..
Old 4th May 2009, 03:42 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

31:00
Old 4th May 2009, 05:18 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

1:54:20 lol. John Klensin is an optimist.