IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2006, 04:17 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Greek IDN question for Greek users...

This is a quick question for other Greek members here in the forum, with regards to registering Greek IDNs.

Basically, do you register the names with or without the tone ??

EG: Αθήνα ορ Αθηνα ??

Αt the moment, about 99% of the Greek IDNs I have are with the tone, as these is the correct way of typing the word. Doing a search on Google with words in "" such as "ΑΘήνα" and "Αθηνα" give a huge difference in results.

However, what are most people likely to type in ?? Here in Greece, I have been asking several people, and the answers always seem mixed - some use the tone and others don't.

I don't really want to go and start regging the names I have without the tone unless it's completely necessary, but I am a little stuck at the moment with what is the best way to go.

Anyway one here with Greek IDNs care to comment ?? Have you regged names with or without tones, or both ??

A few times, when doing a search, I find names that are registered without the tone, whilst the tone version of the name is available. An example of this is the name Πόκερ.com ( Poker.com ), which I actually found was available yesterday and registered it, whislt the untoned version was already registered.

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome.

Alex

Old 19th April 2006, 04:24 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Greek IDN question for Greek users...

Just check US OVT. Also, when you check traffic for Greek names, try filter to Europe only - you'll be surprised.
Old 19th April 2006, 04:36 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Agreed, US Ovt usually tells the story. Most, not all, greek names I've seen have more Ovt without the tone.

I believe Yanni said some time ago that without the tone is easier to type and most Greeks will just go for what's easiest.

If I had a name like poker.com I would probably go for both.
Old 19th April 2006, 04:42 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

I'm the stupid foreigner who registered ποκερ without the tone. I went strictly by overture and SERP -- if toned alternative terms had overture I registered those too.

I think your poker term is better given the SERP. I recorded some overture for ποκερ when I registered it, but it's long gone now. Nice grab!

591 ωροσκόπιο com xn--uxabocddp9b5a.com
2899 ωροσκοπιο com xn--uxabobbedr5c.com
183 μετάφραση com xn--hxakkkv6apet.com
165 μεταφραση com xn--mxaakkv6apet.com
102 ναυτιλία com xn--kxadb4akj4ch.com
69 ποκερ com xn--qxajodi.com
Old 19th April 2006, 04:55 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Gamescalper,

I wouldnt call you a stupid foreigner at all ( I am only half Greek myself !!). Besides, from what I have just seen when checking the OV figures, it does indeed seem that Greeks search for words without the tones.

Now it looks like I will have to reg some of the other names I have without the tone as well.

I think "its all Greek even to the Greeks" when it comes to the internet.

Alex

Old 19th April 2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm the stupid foreigner who registered ποκερ without the tone. I went strictly by overture and SERP -- if toned alternative terms had overture I registered those too.

I think your poker term is better given the SERP. I recorded some overture for ποκερ when I registered it, but it's long gone now. Nice grab!
I did just the opposite. One of my first Greek names was astrology.com (with the tone). Little did I know that the name without the tone had nearly double the Ovt. I think I realized it when Yanni picked it up and posted it here. I've always checked both ever since.
Old 19th April 2006, 04:57 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I did just the opposite. One of my first Greek names was astrology.com (with the tone). Little did I know that the name without the tone had nearly double the Ovt. I think I realized it when Yanni picked it up and posted it here. I've always checked both ever since.
thefabfive -- you weren't the only one who scrambled when Yanni posted that
Old 19th April 2006, 05:11 PM

Can I ask another related question ....

In terms of development, would Greek names with the tone be better ??

Most of the names I have bought, I actually plan to develope them, and haven't bought them purely for resell reasons ( unless of course I get an offer I can't refuse ).

Been doing some random checks still on Overture, and its very weird. Seems like place names ( cities, etc ) are being searched more without the tone than with, whilst other generic terms ( 1 and 2 words ) seem to be searched more with the tone than without.

Chaos is a Greek word isnt it ???

Alex

Old 19th April 2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

This is the way I see it...

An end user would probably want the correct form of the word and is probably not too worried about type-ins. They're looking to brand their name and create a business around it.

Domainers on the other hand are looking to type-in traffic. This usually means names with the highest Ovt and best type-in potential.

Once I learned of the difference between tone and no tone I mostly went for no tone - assuming Ovt was higher of course. Traffic will always bring you value whereas the 'correct' form will need an end user to unlock the value. IMHO.
Old 19th April 2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

There's TONES?

Oh crap!
Old 19th April 2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
There's TONES?

Oh crap!

Dude, I know exactly how you feel.

I am sitting here going through my names, and working out which ones to reg without the tones now.

Gonna be a long night

Alex

Old 19th April 2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Dad! I think I got it wrong again!

Last edited by Drewbert; 19th April 2006 at 05:55 PM..
Old 19th April 2006, 05:58 PM

Drewbert, you have some good names there, including some I was looking for. This one is particalury good - xn--mxaaidvdmmr.com | μακεδονια

The following ....

xn--mxaahafntz9cxc.com δωδεκανησα
xn--mxaakj3aqye.com επτανησα
xn--mxabir3a8a.com ευβοια
xn--mxagdrag3dk.com κυκλαδεσ
xn--mxambj7a.com θρακη

... I got all these but with the tones !!!

What a small world it really is.

Alex

Last edited by alexd; 20th April 2006 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19th April 2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I posted my list then thought that was a bit dumbarse doing that b4 I'd regged the non-tone ones. You must have quoted my post just before I edited them out.

No problem.

I must say, I'm having a wee bit of trouble deciding where the tones should be for the ones where I have the no-tone versions !

It's a bad time to be using overture for hunting down Greek names, I've noticed that since the April update the OV number have plummeted

Last edited by Drewbert; 19th April 2006 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19th April 2006, 06:49 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
I've noticed that since the April update the OV number have plummeted.
Yes, same here. Across the board drop on most of my idn, some rather large.
Old 19th April 2006, 07:42 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

From my experience the "un-toned" versions will get more traffic in general. But on most of them the difference is small.

I haven't really researched them thoroughly; especially since overall traffic for Greek idn is really low at this point in time.

I would say go for both terms to be sure. As fab5 said, the potential end user will most likely want the correct version with the tone. Having both, you'll extract a better price at the end.

I love what the Greek registry is doing with idn.gr: It gives you both forms of the name once you reg one. But all the better keywords are restricted; especially nameplaces and extreme adult terms.
Overall more expensive plus you have to submit an application and get approved.
I did manage to get "nude.gr" though through them.

Back to the original question: Reg both versions.

Greeks have been using latin chars for so long to phonetically write Greek words (Greeklish) even before the internet; if the Greeklish version of the word happens to fall on the same keys (on a greek machine) as the original Greek word, I assume you will have the un-accented version, hence the higher traffic on unaccented domains.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago (or so) I came up to σέξ.com (sex.com) and couldn't believe it was still available. A disparaging difference between this and the unaccented version: σεξ.com Last month σέξ OVT was like 24 and for σεξ it was 2000+.
Nevertheless, I'm happy with it, although Greeks use other terms to describe "sex" better, and I have a few of them

Again, if anyone needs help with their Greek domains, gimme a shout. And if it's something you haven't regged yet, not to worry: I don't steal ideas
Old 19th April 2006, 08:03 PM
Veteran

σέξ.com -- NICE!
Old 19th April 2006, 08:13 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
σέξ.com -- NICE!
Yup, it's always nice to have σέξ :p

So I went over my list and just regged:

πάσχα.com
and
πασχα.com

Easter, the most celebrated holiday in Greece. Even more so than Xmas. Good travel domain as a lot of Greeks go vacationing during Easter and big tourist business to the Holy Land as a lot of pilgrims travel there.

Lot of gems out there in Greek idn, still. Not as hot as China, Japan and Arabic, but nevertheless good one word generics for the taking.

Last edited by yanni; 19th April 2006 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 20th April 2006, 06:46 AM

Yanni,

Looks like you grabbed a winner with σεξ. I was actually looking for Sex yesterday but couldnt find any.

Can I ask where you go to register IDN.gr ?? I have tried a few registrars in Greece, but no matter what term I search for, eg: ηασσεθηνφλσαφθυςεβ.gr I am always being told that the name can't be registered.

Have a Happy Easter Weekend.

Alex

Old 20th April 2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
Yanni,

Looks like you grabbed a winner with σεξ. I was actually looking for Sex yesterday but couldnt find any.
That's because I was having some

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
Can I ask where you go to register IDN.gr ??
I reg mine at dnhost.gr They seem pretty good so far. If you go there use explorer, not firefox.

Happy Easter to you as well.

Last edited by yanni; 20th April 2006 at 07:42 AM..