IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2009, 11:59 AM

blackops is an unknown quantity at this point
develop now?

Hey,

I know some of you have done this already, but it would be good to hear some thoughts and debate on whether developing idn's RIGHT NOW is a good idea or not.

Depending on who you listen to, IE6 still accounts for 20-??% of the browser market... Are some of you doing browser targeting? Does anyone have a compelling "workaround" for the IE6 problem?

I will hope to hear your thoughts...

:-)
Old 18th May 2009, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: develop now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops View Post
Hey,

I know some of you have done this already, but it would be good to hear some thoughts and debate on whether developing idn's RIGHT NOW is a good idea or not.

Depending on who you listen to, IE6 still accounts for 20-??% of the browser market... Are some of you doing browser targeting? Does anyone have a compelling "workaround" for the IE6 problem?

I will hope to hear your thoughts...

:-)

Forget IE6. It is a rapidly falling market share now, and besides those using it are not really commercially important. Those that update their computer equipment regularly are much more likely to spend online.
Old 18th May 2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Forget IE6. It is a rapidly falling market share now, and besides those using it are not really commercially important. Those that update their computer equipment regularly are much more likely to spend online.
Thanks RD, wise comments i'm sure...
Old 18th May 2009, 01:55 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks RD, wise comments i'm sure...
I'd love to forget IE6 users (firefox users as well who also tend to see xn-- in their browser bar) but unfortunately for those of us running a site trying to attract paying advertisers (real advertisers who pay decent rates, not thai adsense rates), its just not an option. Our advertisers just didn't want to be associated with something that displayed xn-- in the address bar, it just looks like a phishing or scam site name .....

For some projects in some countries, sure, forget IE6 now. Unfortunately not for all. Still 40% IE6 usage in Thailand as well
Old 18th May 2009, 03:00 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I would guess that unless parking each domain will at least cover the costs of renewal for the domain, then development might be a wise step. Even knocking up a single page site with some content, Adsense, etc - might be enough to at least cover the renewal fees for the domain. However, if your domains are generating more than the renewal costs, then its really a personal choice as to develop them or not.

Just my opinion though.

Alex

Old 18th May 2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
unfortunately for those of us running a site trying to attract paying advertisers (real advertisers who pay decent rates, not thai adsense rates)(
Yes, of course, it depends on what you're doing. It's not currently possible then for, say, a large company to embrace idn 100% at the moment, because to varying degrees it's not credible for them to do so.

Can you imagine though, the "lightbulb moment" that will occur when idn-enabled browsers reach 95-99% saturation?.. Suddenly, a new internet is born, that the big players can get involved in.. an internet that has no barriers, and can be promoted by very large companies with very large budgets...

ICANN is one thing, large companies with money and the desire to reach new markets is quite another!

Early next year I hope to take the plunge, and "forget" IE6, but for now it is too much of a concern.
Old 18th May 2009, 03:36 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes, of course, it depends on what you're doing. It's not currently possible then for, say, a large company to embrace idn 100% at the moment, because to varying degrees it's not credible for them to do so.

Can you imagine though, the "lightbulb moment" that will occur when idn-enabled browsers reach 95-99% saturation?.. Suddenly, a new internet is born, that the big players can get involved in.. an internet that has no barriers, and can be promoted by very large companies with very large budgets...

ICANN is one thing, large companies with money and the desire to reach new markets is quite another!

Early next year I hope to take the plunge, and "forget" IE6, but for now it is too much of a concern.
There are solutions of sorts out there. We do "dual-branding". i.e. we have an ASCII name as well. If we detect browser as IE6 or firefox, we redirect people to the ASCII site. So basically the xn-- never displays. It sure ain't perfect, but its the best we have come up with, and works pretty well. We'd much prefer everyone saw the Thai name though, that goes without saying.

If we had sat on the fence, we would have missed out on 50M pageviews!
Old 18th May 2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
We do "dual-branding".
Absolutely. Duel-branding is probably the best way forward and it may even become a mainstay of your promotional efforts long after idn has fully 'bedded down'?

For most idn owners, however, this won't be possible unless they manage to JV with, or buy out, the ascii owner. I think that ascii identities, particularly where they are already developed, will start to take some heavy flak over the next few years as idn becomes more popular.

I don't see ascii taking a hit graciously though, but do think there will be lots of opportunities to capitalize on increased idn awareness, on both sides.

It may also be good advice to think carefully, if you decide to 'park' your idn's, particularly if their ascii counterparts are well-financed, developed businesses.!
Old 18th May 2009, 04:18 PM

Surely most IDNs don't have a *direct* ASCII equivalent? What is the ASCII version of "games" in Thai? ThaiGames.com, ThaiGame.com Games4Thailand.com ThailandGaming.com ThaiGaming.com? It just doesn't exist. That's why we have IDNs in the first place.

But also remember nearly all incoming traffic is from IDN-based searches, clickthroughs from Google search results, the ASCII domain doesn't even get a look-in there. Its really there just to stop the "shock" of people seeing xn-- in the address bar. Any "half-decent name" ASCII name will therefore do. And in 2/3 years when nearly everyone is IDN-compliant, the ASCII just does a 301 redirect to the IDN name. So no, the ASCII domain won't become a mainstay at all. It has a definite limited shelf-life, and the shorter the better.

Last edited by domainguru; 18th May 2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: update