IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2009, 06:27 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Angry 10,000 Preorders A Day For The New gTLD’s

Pool: 10,000 Preorders A Day For The New gTLD’s
2009 May 21
by MHB

In a press release sent to many bloggers today, Pool.com claims that they have received on average over 10,000 backorder requests every day, over the 30 day period, for the new gTLD’s

How long before they start auctioning still non existent domains on still non existent gTLDs? Schemes like this are very bad for the domain industry as a whole.

Better yet is Weblo filing a patent on “virtual domain names”...
http://domainnamewire.com/wp-content...ame-patent.pdf
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:04 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: 10,000 Preorders A Day For The New gTLD’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Pool: 10,000 Preorders A Day For The New gTLD’s
2009 May 21
by MHB

In a press release sent to many bloggers today, Pool.com claims that they have received on average over 10,000 backorder requests every day, over the 30 day period, for the new gTLD’s

How long before they start auctioning still non existent domains on still non existent gTLDs? Schemes like this are very bad for the domain industry as a whole.

Better yet is Weblo filing a patent on “virtual domain names”...
http://domainnamewire.com/wp-content...ame-patent.pdf
Can anyone explain what this virtual domain name stuff is all about? I can't be arsed to read pages of a dense patent application. Is looks on first inspection to be an attempt to patent URL forwarding. But I'm sure there is a better explanation ....

As for the 10,000 daily backorders, just goes to show there is one born every minute, or in this case, 6.94 recurring born every minute.
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:30 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

http://blog.icann.org/2009/05/so-whe...et-extensions/

ICANN's Kieren McCarthy has an official ICANN blog running called "So what are we up to with these new Internet extensions?"
You can even add your 2 cents if you want :p
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:41 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
http://blog.icann.org/2009/05/so-whe...et-extensions/

ICANN's Kieren McCarthy has an official ICANN blog running called "So what are we up to with these new Internet extensions?"
You can even add your 2 cents if you want :p
"If that happens, and if people are pretty happy with it in Seoul (so there are comparatively few changes), then it should be possible to get the whole thing agreed to and signed up by the end of the year. And then the whole process could open up in the first quarter of 2010.

So that’s the current timeline - although it is all dependent on you, the community, to find consensus on a lot of still-undecided issues."

Boy that's a lot of ifs and buts. I I was a betting man, I would say it didn't have a cat in hell's chance of happening first quarter 2010. When ICANN says that, they normally November of the same year ....
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:59 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

I think the 'virtual domain name' patent is / or will be contested by Second life and the MMORPG game crowd.
some bloggers have surmised that it is an attempt to shake down 'avatar' owners for unique names or ID's in 2D and 3D games.
fat chance on that ...

to me, it like trying to patent 301 redirects or saying you invented ping or traceroute etc...