IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:14 AM

blackops is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a bit confused..

IE6 users typing in £,com ..i'd like to transfer them, seamlessly, to poundsymbol,com.
(note: not the domain's punycode xn--9a,com but its unicode £,com).

Any ideas on how I can do that? - I don't think a simple (client side) redirect will do it...

Payment offered by negotiation :-)

Last edited by blackops; 23rd May 2009 at 10:26 AM..
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:37 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: I'm a bit confused..

afaik, you can't. £ is chinese to ie6.
Old 24th May 2009, 03:30 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops View Post
IE6 users typing in £,com ..i'd like to transfer them, seamlessly, to poundsymbol,com.
(note: not the domain's punycode xn--9a,com but its unicode £,com).

Any ideas on how I can do that? - I don't think a simple (client side) redirect will do it...

Payment offered by negotiation :-)
you can't. that's the point of IE6. it knows nothing about IDNs being typed in the address bar. error. error. error. you can send me a big payment if you like and I can investigate it for weeks
Old 24th May 2009, 05:51 AM

Thanks a lot guys for the great replies :-)

I had originally thought that IE6 might be making a distinction between £,com, which is a symbol and isn't rooted in a language, and e.g. a thai name that is language-based.

Because of that, I thought, I might be able to install a script at the server level to specifically direct requests from IE6 users but it looks like that isn't going to be possible.

Of course, in IE6, "xn--" can be transferred easily to a different name but a unicode symbol, it seems, has no relationship to the "xn--" at all in IE6.

Because of that, no manipulation of the symbol name can occur!.. and I don't *think* it would have any effect to transfer every visitor (at the server level) to another name as there is still the problem of the unicode name being entered and not recognised.

Hmm, I guess it may be a case of waiting another year or two for IE6 to finish its final "swansong"..
Old 24th May 2009, 09:59 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

IE6 knows nothing about IDNs, full stop. So doesn't give a hoot what "type" they are. Every IDN is invisible to IE6.

You can redirect all IE6 users to poundsymbol,com - but thats about it as far as I know.

btw, what's with the comma's in your domain names? Weird....

If I owned £.com, not sure I would wait for a couple of years before using it, might be missing out on its "golden age" .....
Old 24th May 2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Every IDN is invisible to IE6.
Hey DG, thanks a lot for filling me in on this - much appreciated.

Just to clarify then, when a IE6 user types in เกมส์.com in to their address bar nothing actually happens? (regardless of the user's language settings).. but the name does work (i.e. redirect to thaigamez) when they click on a specially coded hyper-link?
Old 24th May 2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Hey DG, thanks a lot for filling me in on this - much appreciated.

Just to clarify then, when a IE6 user types in เกมส์.com in to their address bar nothing actually happens? (regardless of the user's language settings).. but the name does work (i.e. redirect to thaigamez) when they click on a specially coded hyper-link?
Can't remember exactly what happens, haven't used IE6 for about 3 years, but basically "nothing".

However, the punycode i.e. xn-- version does work, because its .... just an ASCII domain name.

And google search results are xn--, so all people clicking on google search results get to our site.
Old 24th May 2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
And google search results are xn--, so all people clicking on google search results get to our site.
Yes, I see. So it will be a little while then before you'll be able to advertise เกมส์.com offline or verbally...

So, just out of curiosity, when will you feel comfortable advertising this very fine Thai IDN offline or verbally, to a general (untargeted) audience?.. perhaps when idn-enabled browsers have reached 95-99% saturation?

Old 25th May 2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, I see. So it will be a little while then before you'll be able to advertise เกมส์.com offline or verbally...

So, just out of curiosity, when will you feel comfortable advertising this very fine Thai IDN offline or verbally, to a general (untargeted) audience?.. perhaps when idn-enabled browsers have reached 95-99% saturation?

Yeah, well thats it in a nutshell. Thai IDNs are great for search engine traffic, but currently lousy for offline adverts.

Finding a comfort level for advertising offline is obviously just a just a function of ROI. And of course in Thailand, we are currently losing 40% of visitors to that hell-hole....

But we could stick "IE6 users access via thaigamez.com" if the advert was big enough, I guess we need a hoarding-sized ad for that though.

Come to think of it, huge hoardings aren't that expensive in BKK, and I look forward to the day where I can post a photo of the BKK skyline being dominated by an IDN advert....

OK, fantasy over, back to trying to make it a reality....
Old 25th May 2009, 04:34 AM

btw, never pointed this out before, but the reason we are so interested in "meeting sponsors' needs" is that they pay way more than adsense, anywhere between 10 times and 50 times eCPM. Partially explained by how bad adsense is in Thailand at the moment, but adsense is a last resort in nearly all markets I know....
Old 25th May 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
they pay way more than adsense, anywhere between 10 times and 50 times eCPM.
Yes, i've heard that adsense are way stingy - I doubt very much i'd ever use them. No worries though, coz the situation for you will be getting better month on month.

Think of เกมส์.com as the Hope Diamond, that just needs cutting and polishing!... :-)