IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2006, 12:20 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How many Premium Commercial IDNs do you own?

Hey guys I'm about to go offline for a minute but wanted to know how many premium IDN Domains do you think you have

Not the domains like Wisdom, or teach
But more of those that have high online commercial Value?

Don't list Domains
Just list
Language, extensions

for example
Japanese JP:34
Chinese com:12
Russian Com:6

Since I'm not asking for domains be honest guys...
Old 20th April 2006, 04:49 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How many Premium Commercial IDNs do you own?

it seems nobody wants to share their info about their commercial idns. how come?

anyway i think this is a tricky question, on the thread about the top 5 domains members own, i see many good ones, but also some i wouldnt say their top ones. for instance, they are some gems there like taipei.net, games.com, etc.

anyway my number of premium commercial domains are
.com 0
.cn 0
.jp 0
.net 0
.tv 0
.cp all! i mean crap :p i better say mine are crap than to say maybe a few are good.

anyway i would also like to hear like Olney, what u guys think are the numbers of top commercials u own.
Old 20th April 2006, 05:40 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I don't have any either.
Old 20th April 2006, 05:52 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

It really depends on your own opinions. One person's premium name is another person's average name.

On the other hand I think people are reluctant to give glowing predictions of their IDNs. I'd rather say mine are average and be pleasantly surprised if some do exceptionally well.

Olney - maybe you can start this off - and maybe include one example so people understand where you're coming from.
Old 20th April 2006, 06:15 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I'd rather say mine are average and be pleasantly surprised if some do exceptionally well.
Sage advice.
Old 20th April 2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
It really depends on your own opinions. One person's premium name is another person's average name.

On the other hand I think people are reluctant to give glowing predictions of their IDNs. I'd rather say mine are average and be pleasantly surprised if some do exceptionally well.

Olney - maybe you can start this off - and maybe include one example so people understand where you're coming from.
well but some basic criteria is expected. i guess 200K of overture just but just to start saying commercially premium, if not then you got a specific premium idn; specially domains with only less than 40K to call them commercially premium is insane in my opinion. anyway to me commercial means massive use, not area specific. but on the other hand, u got something with 700K like some i do but the bids are so low, then again u dont have anything premium there. some criteria is basic. bids are a mess as well for criteria, i have one specific .com over ¥5.000 first bid, second ¥3000, third ¥2100 but the ovt. is very bad, then no premium in there. not mentioning others i screwed with good first bid but second falls terribly. I say an nice average of ¥1000 to ¥2000 in bids is very nice. For me, my domains are .cp crap

Last edited by idnceo; 20th April 2006 at 06:40 PM..
Old 20th April 2006, 06:39 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
well but some basic criteria is expected. i guess 200K of overture just but just to start saying commercially premium, if not then you got a specific premium idn; specially domains with only less than 40K to call them commercially premium is insane in my opinion. anyway to me commercial means massive use, not area specific. but on the other hand, u got something with 700K like some i do but the bids are so low, then again u dont have anything premium there. some criteria is basic.
That's the thing - there really is no set criteria and anything we make up will be just that - 'made up'. Right now I would guess 'premium' names are the ones that receive substantial traffic (even when the majority of IDNs see low levels of traffic) and where the term can be considered as 'premium' in the context of the specific language.

I don't think you can put a benchmark of 200K Ovt for 'premium' names. This would only work for Japanese, Korean, and some latin-based languages. You would be leaving out Russian, Arabic, Persian, even Chinese - where specific Overature doesn't exist.
Old 20th April 2006, 06:51 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, it's hard to really pin down what a premium name is. It's an art rather than a science. What makes it even harder is the idn aspect, which makes it almost impossible to put a $$ on it. I think intuition and common sense would probably be the best tools when deciding if that IDN is premium one or not. The tools we use to evaluate domains could be misleading and understating the value of a premium IDN. For example, 中国 (china) shows no advertisers on baidu.com and only 2 on google.cn. But I think we all can agree that 中国.com would be a premium name.
Old 20th April 2006, 07:13 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

You will only know which of your names are premium on the day you finalise the sale and the payment/stock options/yacht/island/ and eternal happiness are in your posession.....

Then you can say, 'Now thats what I call a premium name'.......:p
Old 20th April 2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
You will only know which of your names are premium on the day you finalise the sale and the payment/stock options/yacht/island/ and eternal happiness are in your posession.....

he he he good one, teach that to the guys who call premium their domains in DNF. some modesty is important before using such flamboyant word as premium.

I do think most members here got some commercially premium ones. JobCollect and Digirock -enom japan- for japanese idns got the rest Me, i came late for such premiums ones, in fact i think most were registered in 2001 for obvious reasons and the few available last year or this year were drops. Available domains we register this year -that were not drops- arent most of the time commercially premium ones. some great ones, but not to use such term. People taking domains in 2001 werent newbies to let unregistered those premium terms until 2005 or 2006, they let some good ones available but the top cream no way, the only form to get them was/is via drops.

Last edited by idnceo; 20th April 2006 at 07:30 PM..
Old 20th April 2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Depends where the island is, too.
Old 20th April 2006, 07:47 PM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Depends where the island is, too.
This might look weird, commercial

Japanese .TV 50 names

— Umberto Eco
Old 20th April 2006, 08:59 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

One thing everyone seems to agree on is that country and city names are premium.
Old 20th April 2006, 09:57 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
One thing everyone seems to agree on is that country and city names are premium.

Definitely, they can't go wrong. Countries are so valuable that, they are worth money even if browsers do not support idns - people will collect just for the sake of collecting and to show off.
Old 20th April 2006, 09:59 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan

It's very true, but sometimes it depends who you're talking to.

I believe I own 2 extremely valuable names (not commercially of course), and I will own them forever :-).

智慧.com (wisdom) - 真理.com (Truth)

Olney said, (wisdom) doesn't count, then I hope no one can deny TRUTH, ha ha ha....

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 20th April 2006 at 10:03 PM..
Old 21st April 2006, 09:24 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the rest of you. It is hard to say what's premium. I need real traffic to reveal the truth to me. Of the 750 or so I have, I would say maybe 5% are "premium" according to my definition - over 100K OVT , single word, commercial domains with .jp or .com ext. Then I have a bunch of "good" stuff which include high OVT compound .coms/.jp and "premium" keyword .nets and city or ward names maybe 30%. Then I have some city themed service domains I expect to sell pretty easily domestically to Japanese buyers - small but very qualified traffic. And a bunch of speculative bets that I have no idea about which are probably 40%.
Old 21st April 2006, 09:38 AM
Veteran

Yes, very subjective. I've got 350 generic names parked at ND, about 50 or 15% get more than $1 a mth, but almost none are financial or city terms - considered premium names. Type-in traffic alone cannot decide whether a name is premium.
Old 21st April 2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I agree with the rest of you. It is hard to say what's premium. I need real traffic to reveal the truth to me. Of the 750 or so I have, I would say maybe 5% are "premium" according to my definition - over 100K OVT , single word, commercial domains with .jp or .com ext. Then I have a bunch of "good" stuff which include high OVT compound .coms/.jp and "premium" keyword .nets and city or ward names maybe 30%. Then I have some city themed service domains I expect to sell pretty easily domestically to Japanese buyers - small but very qualified traffic. And a bunch of speculative bets that I have no idea about which are probably 40%.
Rhys, u need to rest and stop spending so much time in front of the computer, your face look very bad :p

today i was looking for education terms, and i found a domain owned by Edwin 塾.com even when it has not much ovt. 43182, i think it is a very good catch. by the way, edwin this idn says registered on 2003, i thought u said u started registering idns last year. did u take any idn on 2001? congrats on this one, i like it a lot.
Old 21st April 2006, 09:56 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I truthfully don't believe Overture defines a premium domain.
Resellers might try to gear sale prices on it but in reality end users will not...
Old 21st April 2006, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
Rhys, u need to rest and stop spending so much time in front of the computer, your face look very bad :p

today i was looking for education terms, and i found a domain owned by Edwin 塾.com even when it has not much ovt. 43182, i think it is a very good catch. by the way, edwin this idn says registered on 2003, i thought u said u started registering idns last year. did u take any idn on 2001? congrats on this one, i like it a lot.

This reminds me, we (those living in the east) would better complete our digs in 1-2 years the max, or else, we'll end up with that face as well!

Last edited by touchring; 21st April 2006 at 10:06 AM..