IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 03:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
miked is an unknown quantity at this point
How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

Hi,

I'm new to the world of IDNs. Not wanting to do too much too soon, I'm trying to concentrate on the Chinese market first.

My question to you guys that have been in this game for a while is: how would you rank the various Chinese extensions? I'm thinking primarily:

.cn
.com.cn
org.cn
net cn

but of course any others that are out there (eg Hong Kong domains).

Is any one more or less recognised. Are there sperate constituencies in China that tend to prefer one or the other?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike.
__________________
Generic Domains
Specialists in generic, and industrial\business domains.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 04:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 838
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 0
kenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

.cn > .com.cn >> the rest of brood

.com's relative superiority over .cn is probable, but far from a sure thing.
.net's relative inferiority vs .com is probable, but not a sure thing.

my 2 cents.
__________________
Clickshower PPC Service

Last edited by kenne; 20th April 2006 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 04:05 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1249
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

.com = .cn > .com.cn >> rest

You now have 4c total.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 04:16 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1260
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
.cn > .com.cn >> the rest of brood

.com's relative superiority over .cn is probable, but far from a sure thing.
.net's relative inferiority vs .com is probable, but not a sure thing.

my 2 cents.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 531
idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

i do .com and .cn sometimes i have grabbed some .net because after all i feel the kanji for .net is very nice in case of idn.idn

.tv another story.

who knows Giant or Touchring can give a good feedback inside china about other extensions but im worried about only these ones .com .cn .net as i said.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 04:41 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1260
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
i do .com and .cn sometimes i have grabbed some .net because after all i feel the kanji for .net is very nice in case of idn.idn

.tv another story.

who knows Giant or Touchring can give a good feedback inside china about other extensions but im worried about only these ones .com .cn .net as i said.


I only got 2 .cn, but i feel that with the .中国 extension, it is on solid ground.

I predict that it will exceed .com in 5-8 years time. The reason being up till now (with the option of .公司 removed), i can't think of another idn.idn that will beat .中国.

If you are investing for the long term, i would recommend you to register some .cn and .co to spread out your risks. I'm not selling any .cn and .co, so this is an impartial message. Good luck!

Last edited by touchring; 20th April 2006 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 531
idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I only got 2 .cn, but i feel that with the .中国 extension, it is on solid ground.

I predict that it will exceed .com in 5-8 years time. The reason being up till now (with the option of .公司 removed), i can't think of another idn.idn that will beat .中国.

If you are investing for the long term, i would recommend you to register some .cn and .co to spread out your risks. I'm not selling any .cn and .co, so this is an impartial message. Good luck!
you got only 2 .cn? cmon touchring you were also my other patriotic .cn supporter :p well i got a lot of more than that, although truly my registrations in .cn and other expensive extensions cost me several times each .com

Anyway u do domaining for type-in, .com is the safe haven. but i wonder, dont u think when there will be massive publicity in tv, newspapers, etc in the future for IDN.IDN the type-in will also be affected? 中国.中国 or 中国. 公司 -or whatever extension to be used for .com- seems to me a different story for type-in. 中国.com the extension is even annoying to type, but as u will see the publicity in 中国.中国 looks more natural and then less type-in and more extension typing. what do u think?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20th April 2006, 06:19 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1260
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
you got only 2 .cn? cmon touchring you were also my other patriotic .cn supporter :p well i got a lot of more than that, although truly my registrations in .cn and other expensive extensions cost me several times each .com

Anyway u do domaining for type-in, .com is the safe haven. but i wonder, dont u think when there will be massive publicity in tv, newspapers, etc in the future for IDN.IDN the type-in will also be affected? 中国.中国 or 中国. 公司 -or whatever extension to be used for .com- seems to me a different story for type-in. 中国.com the extension is even annoying to type, but as u will see the publicity in 中国.中国 looks more natural and then less type-in and more extension typing. what do u think?

Let's put it this way, in the long term, idn.idn is going to be very important. For now, how many people know of idns?? I suspect most of the type-in, idn.com gets now is really unintentional or accidental.

I've got another 14 .公司 which i registered first week of March. I've spent an entire week digging through top terms and managed only that many. There was one term, 整形.公司, which i lost by only 5 minutes! .公司 is like .会社, not many names can go along with that extension.

Last edited by touchring; 20th April 2006 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27th April 2006, 09:36 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
miked is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

Hi guys,

Sorry for the cut and run: thanks for your advice.

You've all pretty much confirmed my suspicions, but it's good to have what I thought agreed with by people with much more experience in this area.

Now comes the long process of researching the right domains...

Mike.
__________________
Generic Domains
Specialists in generic, and industrial\business domains.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:07 PM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 722
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How would you rank the various Chinese extensions?

I found a two character word with:

35,0000 TW Ovt,
20,000 HK Ovt,
42 JP Ovt
487 US Ovt
2,900,000 Google hits with ads
The leading sites on Google search are extension .tw and .com

The .cn, .cc, and .tv are the only extensions available. I bought the .net long ago. Does this seem a good candidate for my first .cn? Is there a rule of thumb for .cn and Taiwan?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54