IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Wanted

IDN Wanted Those looking to find certain IDNs post here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2006, 08:53 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Post Looking for good $5k Russian name

edited.

Last edited by alpha; 25th April 2006 at 09:21 AM..
Old 21st April 2006, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for good $5k Russian name

Hi,

I am sure I can help on that one. Will email list.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
must be .com
no TM's

apart from that, i'm open to suggestions. Just specify why it's a hot word, it could be brand, yandex hits, overture, traffic etc.

PM's only please.

This post will be edited in 72 hours.

As usual, rest assured - privacy is guaranteed, PM's will be deleted after, and I won't simply reg the .net
Old 21st April 2006, 05:00 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

P.M on its Way
Old 30th April 2006, 08:22 AM
Semi-retired

Update on my quest for a $5k Russian name.

I have received many PM's - thanks to the members here for those.

But I have not bought anything, nor am I in the process of buying anything from these PM's.

why?

I know what $5k can buy me in Japanese, we've seen it many times, but Russia is not Japan!!

Although the majority of people believe that Russian domains will be big, you cannot compare it to Japanese names.

In my opinion, the price of a domain name is dictated by the number of people that are trading in that space, and the number of people that want that domain.

This is certainly the case in Japan, we know most generics have gone now, and we have seen a high level of trading on the names.

We haven't seen this in Russia yet, there haven't been any big sales, and there hasn't been a lot of activity.

For this reason, I believe that a Russian name is not of equal value to a Japanese equivalent.

But the majority of PM's I was sent, indicated people expect the same value as a Japanese name, this is not the case in my opinion - not yet.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good names in some of the PM's sent to me, but I was expecting to get a super-premium for my money, after all we haven't seen anything big sell in Russia yet.

This is why I won't be progressing any of these any further.

Thanks again for your PM's. all will be deleted, and they will remain confidential of course.
Old 30th April 2006, 08:24 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

What there has been is a lot of sitting on names and no selling. And despite the higher prices for Japanese names, there is much more typin traffic today for equivalent Russian names.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 30th April 2006 at 08:27 AM..
Old 30th April 2006, 08:29 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
What there has been is a lot of sitting on names and no selling.
yes there has.

I could be completely wrong here... but Russia in my opinion is a longer term bet, aside from their economy, they need to get their internet penetration up - it is an investors dream, or should be though - you should be able to pick up something with very good potential for a very good price - but alas not!

as I said, I think people are treating everything equal to Japan - this is not the case.

There's a reason people started trading in Japanese names first, and I won't repeat it all here - but these reasons simply do not automatically apply to all languages.
Old 30th April 2006, 08:35 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

That's the way it is though. Due to various factors unrelated to real gdp or quality of life, real estate and living in Moscow is expensive. We can't expect anything less from domain names.

Moscow is No. 4 in cost of living.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/21/pf/costliest_cities/
Old 30th April 2006, 08:36 AM

Jordan is an unknown quantity at this point

please see the thread
сновидение.com (the dream) , xn--b1aedamc4aee2a.com
wikipedia

If you interest , please P.M me.
Thanks very much.
Old 30th April 2006, 08:39 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
That's the way it is though. Due to various factors unrelated to real gdp or quality of life, real estate and living in Moscow is expensive. We can't expect anything less from domain names.

Moscow is No. 4 in cost of living.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/21/pf/costliest_cities/
I'm sorry but I don't agree. We are not talking about a trader selling to a Russian end user - we are talking about trader selling to trader in a market not as mature as Japan.

In my opinion theres no way 1 russian name = 1 japanese name.

I'd be real interested to know people general opinion on the comparitive value today of Japanese Vs Chinese Vs Russian names.

anyway, i'm no market expert, just my opinion.

Last edited by alpha; 30th April 2006 at 08:44 AM..
Old 30th April 2006, 08:46 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:

There's a reason people started trading in Japanese names first, and I won't repeat it all here - but these reasons simply do not automatically apply to all languages.
Even though I partially agree with your general perception regarding Japanese vs Russian names, one of the reasons you see more Japanese names trading could be that there are a lot of members here with some kind of connection to Japan.

And the overall focus of the forum is somewhat "biased" towards East Asia. So this helps a little, I'm sure.

How many Russians do we have here?
Old 30th April 2006, 08:49 AM
Semi-retired

It depends how you value the word. In the absence of traffic, you can only go on the environmental factors, like internet penetration etc..

Ok, lets open this up then for opinion, it will be an interesting debate if nothing else.

Take a word like "internet.com"

If Japanese = 1.00

what does Chinese = ??
Russia = ??
Arabic = ??

my guess would be:

Chinese = 0.85
Russia = 0.50

Last edited by alpha; 30th April 2006 at 08:52 AM..
Old 30th April 2006, 10:38 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It depends how you value the word. In the absence of traffic, you can only go on the environmental factors, like internet penetration etc..

Ok, lets open this up then for opinion, it will be an interesting debate if nothing else.

If Japanese = 1.00

what does Chinese = ??
Russia = ??
Arabic = ??

my guess would be:

Chinese = 0.85
Russia = 0.50

You have to consider extension as well. .com is very strong for Arabic, strong for Chinese, moderately strong for Japanese. At the other end of the spectrum, .com is rarely used in Greece and even more so in Israel where .gr and .il takes almost all market share respectiviely. Russian comes in between.

Last edited by touchring; 30th April 2006 at 10:42 AM..
Old 30th April 2006, 11:36 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
You have to consider extension as well. .com is very strong for Arabic, strong for Chinese, moderately strong for Japanese. At the other end of the spectrum, .com is rarely used in Greece and even more so in Israel where .gr and .il takes almost all market share respectiviely. Russian comes in between.
Yes, these patterns will change significantly with IDN.

Take the example of Hebrew. At the moment the main focus it the Israeli extension, because that is the only way Jewish people can find cultural relevant site content easily. The real thing that binds Jewish people is their shared culture and history which is much more closely linked with the language than the country. Only a tiny proportion actually live in Israel. I would think a bilingual keyboard will soon be a must have accessory for most families, whether they fluent or not.

Post IDN it will not be necessary to use the Israeli country code to find Hebrew content. The Hebrew IDN will actually do this much better. You only need to look around this forum to see the level of interest in this language to know that Hebrew.IDN is going to be a massive hit.

This will also be true of other cultures. Russia basically lost the Cold War. It is rubbing salt into the wound to expect them to adopt the script and the extension of the victorious US to allow them surf the Internet. It helps even less when the US professes to own it. Once the Russian can use their own native script and the gTLDs (note g stands for Global not Gringo) then they will feel much more comfortable with Russian.IDN of all descriptions.

IDN will change so much that even the people on this forum are still struggling to imagine its impact!

Quote:

If Japanese = 1.00

what does Chinese = ??
Russia = ??
Arabic = ??

my guess would be:

Chinese = 0.85
Russia = 0.50
Well I sold two geographical generics in Chinese yesterday for $5K each. I think they were pretty cheap too really. I haven't achieved that in Japanese as yet, so I would not forcibly say that Chinese is less valuable than Japanese. Much will depend on the individual mind sets of the buyers. I know Olney sold one short of $10K in Japanes the other day and Giant picked up $4K on a ludicrously cheap sale of a Chinese.

With very top terms it gets difficult at the short-term valuation mean little to most registrants. I think it is fair to say that Russian is not worth as much as Chinese or Japanese and a factor of 2 seems a reasonable diffential, however, that is not much use if you have no accurate measurement of where the market is currently. For both Chinese and Japanese it is now somewhere north of $5K for top generics, but it is difficult to be very specific, it may realistically be closer to the $10K mark.

I think $5K is about the right sort of mark for Russian, and one should expect some real quality for that, but the very top terms and top Geographics are probably already North of that figure in most peoples minds.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 30th April 2006 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30th April 2006, 03:28 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, these patterns will change significantly with IDN.

Take the example of Hebrew. At the moment the main focus it the Israeli extension, because that is the only way Jewish people can find cultural relevant site content easily. The real thing that binds Jewish people is their shared culture and history which is much more closely linked with the language than the country. Only a tiny proportion actually live in Israel. I would think a bilingual keyboard will soon be a must have accessory for most families, whether they fluent or not.

Post IDN it will not be necessary to use the Israeli country code to find Hebrew content. The Hebrew IDN will actually do this much better. You only need to look around this forum to see the level of interest in this language to know that Hebrew.IDN is going to be a massive hit.

This will also be true of other cultures. Russia basically lost the Cold War. It is rubbing salt into the wound to expect them to adopt the script and the extension of the victorious US to allow them surf the Internet. It helps even less when the US professes to own it. Once the Russian can use their own native script and the gTLDs (note g stands for Global not Gringo) then they will feel much more comfortable with Russian.IDN of all descriptions.

IDN will change so much that even the people on this forum are still struggling to imagine its impact!

Well I sold two geographical generics in Chinese yesterday for $5K each. I think they were pretty cheap too really. I haven't achieved that in Japanese as yet, so I would not forcibly say that Chinese is less valuable than Japanese. Much will depend on the individual mind sets of the buyers. I know Olney sold one short of $10K in Japanes the other day and Giant picked up $4K on a ludicrously cheap sale of a Chinese.

With very top terms it gets difficult at the short-term valuation mean little to most registrants. I think it is fair to say that Russian is not worth as much as Chinese or Japanese and a factor of 2 seems a reasonable diffential, however, that is not much use if you have no accurate measurement of where the market is currently. For both Chinese and Japanese it is now somewhere north of $5K for top generics, but it is difficult to be very specific, it may realistically be closer to the $10K mark.

I think $5K is about the right sort of mark for Russian, and one should expect some real quality for that, but the very top terms and top Geographics are probably already North of that figure in most peoples minds.
It's very hard to gauge the market when most likely speculators bought the names from you. Just because we have IDN now doesn't mean the major .il .gr .jp .cn sites are all of a sudden going to swoop to a .com extension. (or citizens are going to switch overnight)
Old 30th April 2006, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
It's very hard to gauge the market when most likely speculators bought the names from you. Just because we have IDN now doesn't mean the major .il .gr .jp .cn sites are all of a sudden going to swoop to a .com extension. (or citizens are going to switch overnight)
Perhaps not, but if we are talking markets, the ccTLD extensions are still very weak. I have sold several .co.jp but in the aftermarket there is no indication that they are on par with dot com. May be this will change later, but I am not convinced. The domains I sold yesterday, the only clear part of the specification yesterday was dot com and that is the pattern.

If you are absolutely convinced about ccTLDs the logical thing to do is buy dot coms early, sell them and then reinvest in even better ccTLDs.
Old 30th April 2006, 03:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff

Well, we've all got consensus that .com is strong in China and for Arabic (despite the right to right and left to right problem), and moderately strong in Japan - traffic already shows that. But at the same time, ctlds aren't going to go away for either.

As for il and gr, i've not seen evidence of even minor type-in traffic. Pls refer to your own portfolio, filter off North American traffic for both languages and you know what i mean.

Of course, type-in traffic isn't everything - .coms are as just as good for SEO purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Perhaps not, but if we are talking markets, the ccTLD extensions are still very weak. I have sold several .co.jp but in the aftermarket there is no indication that they are on par with dot com. May be this will change later, but I am not convinced. The domains I sold yesterday, the only clear part of the specification yesterday was dot com and that is the pattern.

If you are absolutely convinced about ccTLDs the logical thing to do is buy dot coms early, sell them and then reinvest in even better ccTLDs.

There are currently 2 markets that exists on IDNF - collector's market and commercial market. Collector being people that collect domains as artworks that they put in the living room, and commercial market being people that invests in domains and generate revenue. Many of us both collect and invest at the same time, although with varying degree.

Most ctlds do not come under the radar of the "collector's" market because most collectors are new to the domain market and prefer .coms as that tld has the highest publicity profile, being most widely speculated, and regarded as the "Safer" investment - no risk of having PRC government to confiscate your domain, etc. Investors, OTOH, have an ROI in mind and will not pay the kind of prices resellers can fetch by selling to collectors.

Last edited by touchring; 30th April 2006 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30th April 2006, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
There are currently 2 markets that exists on IDNF - collector's market and commercial market. Collector being people that collect domains as artworks that they put in the living room, and commercial market being people that invests in domains and generate revenue. Many of us both collect and invest at the same time, although with varying degree.
Most of my are works of Art at the moment, but that was not the intention.

Long-term investments are short-term investments that didn't pan out!
Old 30th April 2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I've seen minor traffic to both Greek and Hebrew IDNs. I suspect once people learn they can type in native language address there will be some shift. Of course, .gr and .il will never go away, their strength may suffer slightly if they don't roll out IDNs quickly.
Old 30th April 2006, 03:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I've seen minor traffic to both Greek and Hebrew IDNs. I suspect once people learn they can type in native language address there will be some shift. Of course, .gr and .il will never go away, their strength may suffer slightly if they don't roll out IDNs quickly.
I wouldn't say that any of these are going to go away, but be honest most small country residents are already very familar with dot com sites, even if not in their native tongue. Dot com is effectively going local with IDN, so these extension are going to face serious direct competition for the first time. That cannot increase their market share, but it might sharply reduce it.
Old 30th April 2006, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive

ctlds will roll out idns in a matter of time, some will be faster (one good example is China, which already rolled out .idn even before ICANN supports it), some will be slower, but eventually, all would.

Again, domains are not just for type-in, SEO will work equally well for .coms.