IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2006, 02:53 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
What exactly is a "PREMIUM DOMAIN?"

It seems there is a lot of confusion, in this forum, over the term "premium," as used to describe domain names.

One definition, provided by webster.com, for "premium," is "a high value or a value in excess of that normally or usually expected." So, by definition, you can see that the term "premium" is subjective. Since you can register a domain name for under $9, some people can claim, and believe, that a $25 domain is a "premium" domain name.

The term "premium domain" is often used to promote garbage domains, as everyone here has seen time and time again - used mostly by domainers who haven't a clue.

No matter what the overture numbers are, no matter how many or few matches you find in google and no matter what appraisals you can get for a domain - the real indicator of a "premium" name is the demand for the name.

If you can easily find a "substantial" number of people willing to pay a "substantial" price for a particular domain - then it is a premium domain. And "substantial" is another subjective term that could be the topic of further discussion. Obviously, domains like travel.com and hotel.com are premium domains. However a domain like hello-there-u.org could also be a premium domain, if it's getting 100 hits per day, since there are a lot of traffic buyers out there.

Because the term "premium" is used (and abused) so often, the only real way to determine if a name is premium is to consider the attributes of the domain, all of the facts about the domain, claims the seller is making, maybe a little research - and then make your own judgment.
Old 21st April 2006, 03:38 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What exactly is a "PREMIUM DOMAIN?"

Or maybe we should just get rid of the word "premium" altogether. Just because a buyer or a seller put the word "premium" in front of their domains, it wouldn't mean anything. Same thing with "value domain", "super cool domain", "super premium domain", "greatest domain", etc.
Old 23rd April 2006, 03:42 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

That's one of the reasons why I created the domain rating system.
I've seen lots of meaningless domains even IDNs (other places) described as RARE or Premium.
Old 22nd October 2006, 01:07 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Talking Re: What exactly is a "PREMIUM DOMAIN?"

Here go two http://www.idnforums.com/forums/7264...dnjournal.html :p
Old 22nd October 2006, 03:43 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Loan.com
Credit.com
Stock.com
etc
Old 22nd October 2006, 03:54 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
Loan.com
Credit.com
Stock.com
etc
I guess those would qualify.
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:13 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
They certainly do, but people owning such names don't feel the need to insert the adjective "premium" when selling them. It is normally when names aren't premium they are offered with such a label attached.
Old 22nd October 2006, 01:30 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I've seen lots of meaningless domains even IDNs (other places) described as RARE or Premium.
I find it amusing when I see domain names described as RARE !! Well of course they are - no two domains are exactly the same when including the extension. I am sure that every member of this forum has a huge portfolio of RARE names. I have regged many Rare names in my time, ( the fact that they were crap is not important - but they are RARE !!)

Alex

Old 22nd October 2006, 01:32 PM

lyndonmaxewell is an unknown quantity at this point

Do names that only have zillions of search results considered as premium? IF a term is premium, does it mean that even if the extension is unsuitable, it is still considered premium? For instance, bank.com/net as opposed to bank.cc or bank.tv .

True?
Old 22nd October 2006, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

At the moment there is no such thing as a premium domain, as there are no investors out there currently that are willing to pay a significant premium to obtain good keywords even in a good extension.

Ultimately, the only measure of a premium domain is one that has traffic. That is because there are actually very few genuine speculators in the market, merely investors. Before they buy they virtually want proof that they are going to get their money back with interest. As that is not possible unless you sell for peanuts the IDN market is currently virtually dead in the water. This situation is going to prevail for a while, because once current traffic justifies them paying today's prices, sellers will be looking a next years traffic projections. Sellers will quickly realise that it make more sense to Hold than to Fold, especially once portfolios become self sustaining.

The ultimate outcome is that those that hold all the good names now will still be holding the vast majority when they are ankle deep in pay checks.

Those that are holding out for good buying opportunities are about to overplay their hands.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 22nd October 2006 at 02:12 PM..
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:19 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
I guess the lucky owner of these names will be smiling soon...

I have already see some European domains getting 100% traffic increase. Ie7 with Japanese language is released is coming soon, so be prepared for traffic surge.
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I guess the lucky owner of these names will be smiling soon...

I have already see some European domains getting 100% traffic increase. Ie7 with Japanese language is released is coming soon, so be prepared for traffic surge.
A 100% traffic increase, for me, would only mean going from about 50 hits per day to 100.
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:58 AM

My 5k offer to one of your domains is still valid. Sell it to me if you think the traffic is not heading to your way. :-)
Old 23rd October 2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
My 5k offer to one of your domains is still valid. Sell it to me if you think the traffic is not heading to your way. :-)
I've waited too long to sell now! But it still may take months ... maybe 1 year+ ?