IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2009, 08:20 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Alex from Domenforum.net

IDN's are not used by people to access websites (only by newbies and by mistake), therefore a malicious change in browser code will make such domains worth zero.

http://domenforum.net/showthread.php...876#post646876
Old 30th June 2009, 08:53 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alex from Domenforum.net

Well since he's been a member over there for 5 years, he probably is heavily vested in ascii's. I'm not sure of that, but I think the turning is taking place now, the wonderful thing about IDNs in Russia is that they are/will become a fresh new 'landrush' for many.

I don't think even 'we' realize the significance of using one's own language domains on the internet. We think it will be big. But it will probably be much bigger than what we can imagine.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:09 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
Well since he's been a member over there for 5 years, he probably is heavily vested in ascii's. I'm not sure of that, but I think the turning is taking place now, the wonderful thing about IDNs in Russia is that they are/will become a fresh new 'landrush' for many.

I don't think even 'we' realize the significance of using one's own language domains on the internet. We think it will be big. But it will probably be much bigger than what we can imagine.
He owns domenforum .net and has been forever as objective as the Iranian "elected" president.

You don't think 'we' realize the significance etc? I am sure i don't and with all due respect to everyone else here, i don't think they do either. Not to it's full extent.

The turning is taking place now undoubtedly and the train is at a speed where no one, including no one, can stop it now.

Think about it, try stopping the development of the Internet in developing countries..who are you going to call? your friend? the police? the government?

Last edited by 555; 30th June 2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 30th June 2009, 09:22 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275 View Post
...in developing countries...
The US has between 10 and 20 million non-english speakers (mostly spanish)

Quote:
who are you going to call?
perhaps Dan Aykroyd (couldn't help it)

Last edited by phio; 30th June 2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 30th June 2009, 09:52 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

The bigger the risk the bigger the proffit. Those who go against the current, the contrarian thinkers, would be the most rewarded. We are a small group and definitely are going against the mainstream thinking. Positions are becoming extremated but IMHO the outcome will NOT come soon. Internet users will take a full generation time to naturaly use their own language on domains. We must be patient.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:59 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Yea you guys should learn from a person who has his main website on a .net ;-)

He is just jealous he didn't invest in IDN
Old 30th June 2009, 10:25 PM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
but IMHO the outcome will NOT come soon.
Depends on the language and country. IMO Russian by the end of 2010 things will be rocking, for my Bengali/Georgian names hmmmmmm hope my son provides an heir for those :D
Old 30th June 2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I don't understand how Russian transliterated to Latin.com is better than Russian.com. Newspapers are dying because they refused to change with the times. Some domainers may follow that path.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
the outcome will NOT come soon. Internet users will take a full generation time to naturaly use their own language on domains. We must be patient.
Here is a five year old post from the expert on the English language

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4387421/

“Monolingual speakers of any variety of English — American or British — will experience increasing difficulty in employment and political life, and are likely to become bewildered by many aspects of society and culture around them,” Graddol said."
Old 1st July 2009, 12:14 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
Yea you guys should learn from a person who has his main website on a .net ;-) He is just jealous he didn't invest in IDN
He did buy a bunch, flipped a few here for profiit, then sold his remaining portfolio to one buyer.
My guess is he has a few prime Russian IDNs stashed in the closet.
Old 1st July 2009, 03:31 AM

sbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished road
risk and reward... and timing

Chinese culture is 5000 years plus

In many ways, Chinese culture and language are interweaved artistically with
calligraphy .

There are enormous bodies of literature in China, where the calligraphy of the writer / designer is viewed in balance with the authorship and the idea being expressed.
Very connected to Buddhism, Taoism, and parts of Confucianism

Japan has a very similar tradition.
Again.. Buddhism, Shintoism.....etc....

I don't know the Korean calligraphy culture but it is strongly impacted by Chinese imperial influences over the centuries...

I am sure that Farsi, Hindi, Arabic and other script languages have calligraphy cultures/ histories of their own.

to think that Internet or 21st Century electronic branding has to be in English or ASCII is moronic and obnoxious...

To think dot com can't itself be an IDN.com and valid....dumb.
Thai example of one of our veterans ...proof...

To think a dot com can't be an IDN dot IDN with a flick of a switch by Verisign..............extremely dumb...

Most ASCII domainers don't know what TCP/IP does nor how root zone servers work.

If they just read maybe 3 or 4 pages on DNS on Wikipedia they would recognize the inevitability of IDN's use, and its ultimate success and use over time....whatever that time will be....months / years etc...

When dot KOM shows up in Russia in 2010........it will be covered by all the major business and tech magazines in the West...

90% of the PRC gov sites are IDN dot cn / IDN.IDN now ...
CNNIC now has ChinaMobile as registrar over the mobile phone....

Bueller.....Bueller.......anyone...???

now that the internet is available on mobile phone's where the input and overlay keys and SMS are in native languages and scripts.....
the idea that 4 billion people on the planet who speak something other than English and have a phone web browser are going to surf and browse and direct navigate/ type in English....

is also moronic......

The chest beating in the ASCII forums is fine........
they will be arriving here...or they are already lurking....(grin)

Iranian twitterers typed their notes in Twitter in Farsi...
Iranians outside of Iran translated them.

Iranians did twitter in English/ French/ Arabic etc.....
but the vast majority was Farsi........

The explosion of Twitter shows that possibility of what IDN's might be..
not in all languages mind you.....

But the explosion in Russia......with the govt talking the way they are....
and the Chinese trying to put a choke on Google....
and Iran putting the choke on anything and everything....

It is not the domainers who will validate us.
The users and the local entrepreneurs will.

A social revolution is likely to hit Arab countries that are autocratic too.....
They have mobile phones that are cheap too.....

they know what happened in Iran..they know what happened in Lebanon...
they know now how to spread news virally on phones and on the web...

stand by.......interesting times and stories are ahead...
IDN is an enabler...........not an obstacle or a headache......

end of rant.......
(grin)

Steve
Old 1st July 2009, 04:04 AM
мембер

glow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He owns domenforum .net and has been forever as objective as the Iranian "elected" president.
domenforum has been sold by Alex few months ago to Maulnet http://maulnet.ru/

Alex now as honorary admin