IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:46 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
What are TLDs Good For? - CircleID

Non-English languages: This is the only one that has any urgency at all. China really wants .中国 in addition to .CN, and a lot of other countries with non-Roman writing would also like localized domains. ICANN has a separate process for non-ASCII TLDs, so I'll ignore them for now.

In sum, neither of the two classic arguments for new domains, competition and directories, have worked in the past decade, and there's no reason to think they will in the future. Other than support for non-English languages, all of the other rationales strike me as wishful thinking, not business models. So I look forward to .中国 and its ilk, but other than that, they're all going to fail, very expensively.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/200907...tlds_good_for/
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: What are TLDs Good For? - CircleID

I'd forgotten that .coop even existed.

A large majority of these new TLD's will fail miserably.

But not the IDN ones - the only ones that are a solution to a problem that ACTUALLY exists.
Old 4th July 2009, 03:25 AM

sbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are TLDs Good For? - CircleID

Look the new gtld's are complete toss up in a few ways...

there will be successes.......but on new terms......
not the dot mobi or dot ME standard.......

example...

if IBM wants dot IBM to work for 250,000 employees and contractors around the world...that is an internal IBM success story possibly...

HP wants dot HP.......but the cctld staff told them to pound sand....because of the 3 character requirement.......

so they should go with dot ink ........because that is what....60% of their profits ???????? (grin)...

if ebay goes for dot EBay and then throws up on its shoes by trying to get Ebayers to buy.....myshoestore.ebay ......

then its a massive fail.

with regard to dot NYC ........I think the city name space might work ...and Berlin and Paris want to give free domains to businesses.......

again who knows.....its a probable fail......because if the yellow pages could make money on the web.....and missed the mobile web entirely......
the idea that municipal bureaucrats are going to be fast and flexible to make gtld's work is pretty low.....