View Single Post
Old 16th May 2019, 07:11 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough
Re: Nothing New in Over a Year from Verisign

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
FWIW I’ve moved on and dropped most of mine, even the so called premium ones. Little point throwing good money after bad.
Some you win, most you lose - its the way speculative investing goes.
This is true, but what's weird is that after twelve years I'm still in the black (granted, to the tune of about 12 cents an hour when you factor in the learning curve). But play money has never been so fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
we should have invested in BTC
Meh, so boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent99 View Post
I don't really care what Verisign does at this point. What's important imo is native speaker acceptance, uptake and the advancement of IDN e-mail solutions.
I think these things are all important, and Verisign is as far as I'm willing to go in terms of TLDs. The launches of their gTLDs in Russian, Indian, Thai, etc. are fundamental to the other things for players in the .com and .net space. If you don't care about what Verisign is doing, that's cool, but then you have reached some zen point at which I have never been prepared to go: where the TLD doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
right.... email will never be solved IMO or at least not in 20 years but the domains can still be used.

There isn't much growth though. The number of IDNs is growing but so is the number of domains. There is no relative growth in the IDN market.
I think the email risk is far overstated. Email is relegated to spam while things people care about come via SMS/text/apps. The biggest risk going forward is geopolitical, and Verisign's commitment.

I think the lack of IDN growth is largely related to what appears to be abandonment by Verisign (though it's important to note that the quick uptake of both Japanese and Korean names was mostly due to discounts provided by local registrars... that means that Verisign had a plan, and provided a marketing solution based on devaluing the product, aiming for an uptick in revenues on renewals. That didn't work, and Verisign apparently didn't have a backup plan).

Last edited by clipper; 16th May 2019 at 07:29 AM..