View Single Post
Old 17th May 2019, 04:24 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough
Re: Nothing New in Over a Year from Verisign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I like IDNs but it's the most underperforming class of domains...

I don't think the biggest risk is geopolitical. I don't think any of the major language economies will disappear, Russian might the the only language at risk.

I think the biggest risks are user preferences and technology.
Good points. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that any of the established economies will disappear, but that the Age of Globalisation may be coming to an abrupt end, where it will be much harder to transact (in affiliate-style marketing) in other countries.

It was never easy for outsiders to transact the East. Even Japan has always required a physical presence. I strongly believe that this would have unraveled differently if Japan had a more Western-style openness to business transactions with entities from other countries.

But as the EU train wreck happens in slow motion before our eyes, the balkanization of established Eurozone "free trade zones" is going to lead to much more difficult monetization than we see today.

As far as performance, I don't consider sales the measure. This market never had enough liquidity to assess it on sales performance. I've sold three or four in the $X,XXX range, but mostly I've done pretty well with affiliate programs in IDNs, and still do. 2018 was only behind 2009 in affiliate revenue. But the cracks in globalisation are showing, as my top performer last year stopped accepting Russian traffic in December.

As far as user preferences and technology goes, Jose was certainly right in saying that App revenue would take over (he was also right on BTC, incidentally). But every app on every network in every language still relies on a domain name, if not for marketing, then for data storage, retrieval, and processing. If you can see a way away from the DNS, then you can see farther than me.

Last edited by clipper; 17th May 2019 at 04:48 AM..