IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:35 AM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dnnames
ειδησεισ.com

Is this news in Greek?

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:08 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: ειδησεισ.com

Yes, it is the unaccented version of news.

Alex

Old 2nd August 2009, 08:04 AM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road

Thanks alex. Would you be able to run through what the difference between with accent and without, and which one is better etc?

Thanks again
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:58 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Well, the accented version would look like ...

Ειδήσεις

There is no real difference in the meaning of the word with or without the accents. If you type the word in Capital Letters - ΕΙΔΗΣΕΙΣ - then no accents are used. They are used just for lower case.

I believe that the non-accented versions are more likely to get the higher number of direct type-ins - though I do have a number of accented Greek IDNs that get more type-ins than their non-accented versions - so it really does depend on the word itself and the people likely to be typing it in.

One thing that I have recently noticed, is that in the Google results now - there is quite often a large difference between the number of results for accented and non-accented Greek words. It used to be that the number of results was the same for both versions, but now it looks like Google is paying attention now to the accented word.

For example - have a look at the following ...

Ειδησεις ( Non Accented ) - 1.5 million results - http://www.google.gr/search?hl=el&rl...B9%CF%82&meta=

Ειδήσεις ( Accented ) - 3.3 million results - http://www.google.gr/search?hl=el&rl...83%CE%B7&meta=

However, I have also come across some Greek words that have the exact same number of results for both accented, and non-accented versions of words, so I don't really know if Google is slowly updating the accented/non-accented number of results, or is only doing so for specific words ( which would be a weird thing to do ! )

I hope that helps.

Alex

Old 2nd August 2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks Alex, your explanation is definitely helpful. There's actually 18 mil results for the accented version.

I just checked out the trends, and it shows that the non accented version has higher searches, but down below in the "news reference" section, only the accented version has it.

Would it be a sensible conclusion to say that people type in the non accented version more often (explaining the larger search results), but when people make websites, they use the accented one (explaining the higher google search results)? :P

I'm just formulating conclusions with my very very limited understanding and research. S
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnames View Post
Would it be a sensible conclusion to say that people type in the non accented version more often (explaining the larger search results), but when people make websites, they use the accented one (explaining the higher google search results)? :P
Yes, I think would be a sensible conclusion. For my developed Greek sites with IDNs, I prefer to use the accented version ( just my personal preference ). If it is not available, then I would use the unaccented version. For domains where I hold both versions, I would use the accented as the site, and have the non-accented doing a redirect ( again, just my preference )

Good luck.

Alex

Old 2nd August 2009, 03:20 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Just to add to AlexD's well laid-out information, the proper way to write a word in lower case is with the accents.
Obviously, when people are searching on the net - especially the younger people - they tend to be lazy most of the time and type without the accent, hence, in the majority, the unaccented versions of words tend to enjoy more type-ins.

It goes without saying that when developing, the accented version would be the proper way way to go [ appearacne-wise ], but I suggest you own the other version as well. If you can, that is.

The .GR cctld gives you both versions of the word. Technically, you are registering the unaccented version and the other one gets bundled.

Also, there's another word for 'news' in Greek, which is νέα / νεα.

But anyway, according to sources, Greek idn are most likely worthless...

Last edited by yanni; 2nd August 2009 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: wording
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:42 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
But anyway, according to sources, Greek idn are most likely worthless...
Hi Yanni.. why do you say this?
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:57 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Hi Yanni.. why do you say this?

to get him to drop it and me snap it up?
Old 2nd August 2009, 04:59 PM

Reverse Psychology Greek style !! ( Add a pic of a sexy woman and hope he spends the next 12 months looking at the pic and drops the domain )

Old 2nd August 2009, 05:08 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think I'd watch her in a remake of Gigli.
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I'd forgive the man-hands and toe-thumbs.
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
I'd forgive the man-hands and toe-thumbs.
Man hands !! Now I am having a flashback to THAT Seinfeld episode !!

Old 2nd August 2009, 05:23 PM

For those who don't know me, I'm the guy with the smirk standing in the background.
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:56 PM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For those who don't know me, I'm the guy with the smirk standing in the background.
oops
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
oops
No, say what you really feel. Is it the tie that ruined it for you?
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:07 PM

What worries me is what you are doing with your hands in your pockets. The right one looks especially active !!

Old 2nd August 2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
What worries me is what you are doing with your hands in your pockets. The right one looks especially active !!
But, I'm left-handed
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
No, say what you really feel. Is it the tie that ruined it for you?
Ha, just some sarcastic remark that is not appropriate until I meet you! Why were you there?
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:21 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
and i'm the invisible man standing on the hood of the car..